PDA

View Full Version : Who studies self defense?

MonkeySlap Too
11-13-2000, 01:03 AM
It has been my experience that most self defense training involves understanding human behavior rather than combative skills. Understanding how to defuse conflict proves to be the superior strategy, except in those situations where your hand is forced.

Does your school teach these things?

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

JerryLove
11-13-2000, 03:38 AM
It is the policy of my school that any adult should already have these skills should the choose to use them. If not, that a psycology class (or similar activity) would be better suited to teaching such skills.

We do spend time on positioning and posturing when not in a fight. Commanding and disruptive vioces. Programming and avoiding being programmed ("what time is it... *bam*") that sort of stuff. We do it in a "self defense" seminar we do about 3 times a year.

rogue
11-13-2000, 04:50 AM
I've learned to be aware of conflict and either avoid it or confront it. Trying to defuse it can get a bit dangerous.

I used to be daga

Kung Lek
11-13-2000, 05:44 AM
Kung Fu by definition is and has always been much more than fighting skill.

peace

Kung Lek

JerryLove
11-13-2000, 05:46 AM
Not really, it's any skill accuired through practice. By definition, cooking is Kung-Fu.

Kempo Guy
11-14-2000, 07:36 PM
Hi,

IMHO, self-defense is more than a physical skill, i.e. it is not only knowing the techniques etc. but it also delves into psychology. Especially the psychology of fear and it's effects.

Although I was never really taught this specifically in class, we did on occasion do excercises that would create stress and/or fear and how it would relate to your execution of technique etc.

These days I have been studying some of Tony Blauer's tapes on the psychology of self-defense etc. and have started to incorporate many of these things into my personal training. I don't know if anyone has seen his video tapes or attended his seminars but I would definitely recommend them to everybody.

Just my $0.02.

KG

MASTERMAN
11-15-2000, 10:11 PM
In my system, I advocate learning individual tactics. Then getting paired up with different partners to practice (reps) standing techniques, including standing grappling (ju jitsu) then fighting from the ground up- not ground grapling. The most important thing, is condition the body and mind you can defend yourself win...

lotusleaf
07-24-2001, 08:35 PM
I took self defense from a shaolin wushu sifu. There were some behavioral studies, but mostly it was how to tell when he's making the first move, taking out the correct person in a multiple attacker situation, intentions, and strategies and tactics to put your techniques into play.

halfling
07-25-2001, 03:12 AM
Our system has a lot of self defense in it and we keep up on your techniques. Every belt test involves a self defense triangle. The triangle consistes of the person being attacked in the middle, surrounded by three people (making a triangle). Then each person rapidly attacks the person in the middle at about 90 percent power and speed. This works both mental conditioning and the techniques. I find it to be very beneficial.

honorisc
07-25-2001, 05:40 PM
"Kung Fu by definition is and has always been much more than fighting skill."

" Not really, it's any skill accuired through practice. By definition, cooking is Kung-Fu."

Technically, by definition, No. But, comprehension of what it takes to be Kung-Fu or Have Kung-Fu (Jerry Love, theoretically you are aware that there is a mening of Kung-Fu other than the literal one, which you presented. Please regard what I'm talking about to be that meaning.~)

In acquiring that Kung-Fu of cooking (or any others) there was a learning of Self, a facing and resolving of inner conflicts, a dealing and interacting with the conflicting notions people have, a learning to decide what is important on more than one level (which allows one to recognize what is not important to specific thingies...), one realizes that a situation is occuring and somewhere in all the training that seemed to have nothing to do with this, looking for the optimal position (in the room or the talk) happens ~automatically.

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

JerryLove
07-25-2001, 06:42 PM
"In acquiring that Kung-Fu of cooking (or any others) there was a learning of Self, a facing and resolving of inner conflicts"

That's not the way the Chinese use the word. They say anyone with good skills has good kung. They would look at a professional boxer and say "that's good kung fu", they would do the same with a chef on TV or computer programmer.

My programming skills are good kung, but I didn not resolve any inner conflicts in developing them.

honorisc
07-26-2001, 03:17 AM
That seems to say that, you are saying that you did not ever sacrifice any activity in your life to do programming stuff.

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

JerryLove
07-26-2001, 08:18 AM
No, giving up TV time is not "resolving inner conflicts".