PDA

View Full Version : Update

apoweyn
07-16-2003, 10:15 AM
To anyone interested in Khun Kao's training regimen, he's been kind enough to let me post it on the website.

http://www.apoweyn.net/martialarts/index.htm

As a sidenote, I also attended a sparring night at his school last night. To say I need work is somewhat akin to saying that Jack the Ripper was 'disagreeable.' I got traded for cigarettes.

As it turns out, blunt force trauma does not actually give you superpowers. However, the guy that doled out the arsewhuppin' (Charles) was an extraordinarily nice guy. (MMA, I might point out, for those of you still convinced that all MMA guys are arrogant *****s.) Hopefully, I'll get the chance to work out with him again once I've gone a few more rounds with the treadmill.

Stuart B.

Shaolin-Do
07-16-2003, 10:17 AM
I know whatcha mean, 4th degree bb in kempo Im friends with whooped my azz the other day, simply cause my cardio is CR@P.
Bought a jump rope yesterday... gonna start doing 15 mins a day before my regular post kung fu workout....

red5angel
07-16-2003, 10:19 AM
come on Ap, you know the guy was doing taichi for health and Held a mastership in Tae Bo that was manhandling you last night, thats why he is so nice and can still claim to be MMA. ;)

Oso
07-16-2003, 10:22 AM
Ap, I've become a big believer in HIIT. Take a look at it. Just google for "HIIT" I pulled a program off some college athletics website.

Chang Style Novice
07-16-2003, 10:25 AM
I fail to see the relevance of the Helsinki Institute for Information Technology. (http://www.hiit.fi/)

What Ap needs (and I do too) is something more like interval training at a high intensity.

apoweyn
07-16-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
I fail to see the relevance of the Helsinki Institute for Information Technology. (http://www.hiit.fi/)

What Ap needs (and I do too) is something more like interval training at a high intensity.

LOL

Good grief. A minute has passed and I'm still laughing at this.

apoweyn
07-16-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Oso
Ap, I've become a big believer in HIIT. Take a look at it. Just google for "HIIT" I pulled a program off some college athletics website.

Will do. Thanks Bear.

Stuart B.

apoweyn
07-16-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
come on Ap, you know the guy was doing taichi for health and Held a mastership in Tae Bo that was manhandling you last night, thats why he is so nice and can still claim to be MMA. ;)

That would explain the spandex and headband. All the more embarrassing now.

red5angel
07-16-2003, 10:32 AM
I'm with Oso, I just started HIIT about a month ago and it has made a world of difference.

ewallace
07-16-2003, 10:33 AM
Here's one for you:
http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit_table.asp

Oso
07-16-2003, 10:38 AM
http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/251run2.html

I'm doing the IBUR program at the bottom of the page. I just got to the point where I have the stairclimber maxed out speed wise and next week I'm going to add one more rest period and one more sprint.

ewallace
07-16-2003, 10:42 AM
That's like graduate school for me right now. I tried a 400 meter sprint a couple weeks ago and barely made it half-way thru. My quarter-mile time is worse than a honda civic.

norther practitioner
07-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Yeah, this is what I'm going to start to incorporate this week into my training.... I need to get rid of this **** belly.:D

red5angel
07-16-2003, 10:46 AM
right now I am doing my own program. I run a quarter mile at my old 800 pace, jog for a quarter mile. I do that for a mile and a half. Then I hit this hill close to my house and do two sprints up the hill with a minute between each rest period. Afte rthat I do a quick point to point sprint back and forth between 8 and ten times and jog home the half mile.

Oso
07-16-2003, 10:49 AM
besides not being able to run due to my hip, I need the stairclimber as motivation...I just punch it up and either keep up or fall off:D

and, dangit, I'm starting to feel like a pulled a groin last night at practice. Wasn't bad this morning but now it's starting to make me walk a little funny.

norther practitioner
07-16-2003, 10:54 AM
Does anyone have a good bike workout?
I just remembered....... I hate running.

Judge Pen
07-16-2003, 10:57 AM
I'm a missing something here? Just jog 30 seconds and then run for 30 seconds repeat. I can see the benefit of a good cardio work out, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't too involved.

BTW, without access to a convenient place to run, could you substitute jumping rope? 30 seconds moderate, 30 seconds fast etc.?

rubthebuddha
07-16-2003, 11:58 AM
hiit, at its most basic, is just going balls out for a period, going reasonable for a period, then back to balls out, etc. until your balls are indeed out.

ewallace
07-16-2003, 11:59 AM
Yes and Yes.

You can use the track at a local high school before/after school hours too. I hate running in general but for some reason enjoy running on an outdoor track.

apoweyn
07-16-2003, 12:06 PM
I despise running. But I do jump rope.

Chang Style Novice
07-16-2003, 12:08 PM
I like running, but hate the way it makes my ankles feel. I think I better get me a jumprope.

Oso
07-16-2003, 12:17 PM
Judge,

you can do whatever exercise you like. just blitz for the time period and then slow for a time period. I think my girlfriend is doing HIIT on a rowing machine sometimes.

I've thought about doing all my forms really fast. Do one form, then do my tai chi form, than another external form, then the tai chi again.

Suntzu
07-16-2003, 12:18 PM
I too hate running… I ride my bike 2 to 3 times a week… I just get on it and go… since I'm in a 'new-to-me' neighborhood… I take that time to learn my way round by getting lost and try to find my way home… I'm surrounded by hills… so they determine the when's and how long's of the intervals...

Shaolin-Do
07-16-2003, 02:06 PM
I have some great trails near my house to ride bikes... Too bad I destroyed my bike on the jumps a couple years ago....

I despise running. Did you know that excessive jogging is often a sign of depression?

I cant run on a track especially... makes me feel like a mouse on a wheel... just running with nowhere to go. If Ima jog Ill take a 2 mile lap around the neighborhood... err... neighborhoods.

Love to go longboarding.... (giant skateboard..) thats hella fun.
:)
especially on mushrooms... :eek:

MasterKiller
07-17-2003, 07:09 AM
BTW, without access to a convenient place to run, could you substitute jumping rope? 30 seconds moderate, 30 seconds fast etc.?
JP, I skip rope in the mornings. I skip for 3 minutes, take 1 minute off, skip for 3 minutes, take 1 minute off, then jump 3 minutes.

Judge Pen
07-17-2003, 07:36 AM
Great. I like the jump rope idea and Oso's forms idea. We do some bag work like this in class. 30 seconds punching the bag slowly but as hard as you can and then 30 seconds as fast as you can. 3 sets. Seems to work well. Never heard it called "HIIT" before.

I'll add the jump rope routine into my morning workout.

Shaolin-Do
07-17-2003, 07:43 AM
Been doing jump rope with ankle weights... thats a hella good workout :)
In 1 week Gained 1" on my verticle... Didnt even jump rope that much. More like 4 days of it.

ewallace
07-17-2003, 07:49 AM
If you don't have room to run far, the shuttle run is a pretty good alternative.

Or a modified shuttle run in a parking lot with clearly parked parking space lines.

Starting at the middle line, run to the line next to the middle line, touch it, turn around and run to one line past the middle line on the other side, touch it, turn around, and run to two lines past the middle line, touch it, turn around, and run to two lines past the middle line on the other side. Repeat until you cover the whole parking lot...or puke...whichever comes first. You can substitute pushups instead of touching the line to make it more interesting.

Credit to Ford Prefect for this plan.

fa_jing
07-17-2003, 11:57 AM
Actually jump rope at a normal speed is not HIIT, you'd have to jump at about twice normal speed to reach that zone - so try jumping 30 seconds double time, 30 seconds normal speed, etc. The rest breaks are fine.

MasterKiller
07-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Credit to Ford Prefect for this plan.Football players have been doing this for decades on football fields. FP didn't invent it.

In high school, we used the 10 yard line markers. Goal to 10, back, goal to 20, back, goal to 30, back, etc. If we won, coach made us go all the way to the 50. If we lost that week, we had to do the whole field.

Judge Pen
07-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Football players have been doing this for decades on football fields. FP didn't invent it.

In high school, we used the 10 yard line markers. Goal to 10, back, goal to 20, back, goal to 30, back, etc. If we won, coach made us go all the way to the 50. If we lost that week, we had to do the whole field.

Your coach sounds like mine. Unfortunately, we had a losing record. :D

We also did them in basketball as well. They were affectionately called "suicides" although I bet the name has changed in this newer PC world.

Shaolin-Do
07-17-2003, 12:13 PM
Yeah, we did those in basketball called "horses"... baseline to free throw, back to baseline, to half, to opposite free throw, to other side.

Football we did snakes... those sucked. Run across the field, run up 5 yards, run back across the field....
100 yds of that sh!t sucks....

Judge Pen
07-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Did those too. :(

Shaolin-Do
07-17-2003, 12:23 PM
Or green bays.... Run in place till he says drop... drop on chest and get back up. Blah...
We did all kinds of horrible work outs.
Bungy rope is kinda fun tho... 2 people tied to it... whoever loses footing first gets whipped back... its kinda funny :)

Judge Pen
07-17-2003, 12:29 PM
Did what you call "green bays" but never did the bungee cord thing. Maybe they hadn't invinted bungee cords when I was playing football. :D

Ever do the "fish flop?" Three guys in a line one rolls while one jumps and the the guy rolling jumps over the other guy while he rolls back and forth until sickness ensues. That was fun.

Shaolin-Do
07-17-2003, 12:43 PM
eeh... Sounds like... err... not much fun.
Bungy cords are funny... Im about to start going up to the local middle school (is closer) and pulling a sled around their football field... Waiting till I get my boxer so I can take it too. :)

MasterKiller
07-17-2003, 12:47 PM
Waiting till I get my boxer so I can take it too. Couples who work out together are so cute.

Shaolin-Do
07-17-2003, 12:54 PM
erm...
Not into the whole "beastiality" thing...
hehe

ewallace
07-17-2003, 01:16 PM
Football players have been doing this for decades on football fields. FP didn't invent it.
I realize this. I did this in football as well. However, it was FP that gave me a similar plan about a year ago, so I gave him credit for it.

norther practitioner
07-17-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Couples who work out together are so cute.

lmao :D

I have had the chance to run with a parachute... errr.... makes it soooooooo hard, I have new respect for whoever was in that one comercial like 8 years ago training with one... Ski Team drylands we did some stuff like that.