PDA

View Full Version : OT - bonsai trees

Ground Dragon
07-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Anyone here have a bonsai tree? Just curious. I know most people think it's a purely Japanese thing,
but after just a little bit of research I found they were originally started by the Chinese, I forget the
Chinese word for it though.
Anyway, a friend gave me one as a present last Christmas and just curious if anyone else keeps one or
more around.

Ray Pina
07-16-2003, 11:35 AM
I have a ficus now and I kidn of forgot about it for 2 or 3 really hot days so it lost some leaves... ****, this is like my fourth attempt. I had a really nice serissus with white flowers last year. Killed that one too.

Judge Pen
07-16-2003, 11:44 AM
I'm on my third. I don't pay enough attention to them and they die.

rubthebuddha
07-16-2003, 11:47 AM
got me a really *****ly one -- not sure what it is, but it's lasted me for a year and more. also got a chamelia bonsai, but it died a quick death. stupid shipping. :mad:

Surferdude
07-16-2003, 03:49 PM
My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather got one and now its hmmm......400 years old!!!!:D
But seriously i have one thats 5 years old, i give it that food stuff and water it when it needs it.:)

Laughing Cow
07-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Got 2 or 3 at the moment, but will wait till after I bought house and than before making any new ones.

yenhoi
07-16-2003, 04:27 PM
I have 8 "bonsai" trees.

3 are spruces.

Bonsai just means small trees. You can dwarf just about any species.

:eek:

Chang Style Novice
07-16-2003, 07:42 PM
"You can dwarf just about any species"

Checks pants

Yep, it's true.

MAC
07-17-2003, 07:15 AM
I used to have several. My two favorite were a red elm and a bamboo "forest". My oldest was 12 years. Sadly these were killed during a divorce process (sniff). I had to leave them in the home with X and they were totally neglected. By the time I was able to get them, it was too late for all. I've not had any since.

MAC
07-17-2003, 07:25 AM
BTW, yes, these were originally of Chinese. I had a book once that had pictures of some very old (literally centuries old) bonsai. These were some grand and beautifully awsome looking trees - of all kinds. I've known of some places that sold older bonsai (oldest I recall was about 150 yrs.) but these are waaay expensive!

Shaolin-Do
07-17-2003, 07:30 AM
Yenhoi - How would you go about dwarfing.. err...doobage?
:)

It would be hella cool to have a bonsai "plant"
:D

chen zhen
07-17-2003, 07:32 AM
WHat's the deal with having Bonsai trees anyway? Why do you do it?
Just curious.:)

BTW, yes, these were originally of Chinese.

What does the Japanese have that WAS'NT originally chinese in some way?lol:D
But they have improved some of the borrowed things. That is ok, I guess.:)

Ground Dragon
07-17-2003, 07:44 AM
When I was poking around on the net the other day, I saw some trees that were up to 40 years old, being sold for $500-700! They looked pretty cool from the pics.
I can't imagine what a centuries old one would go for.

Shaolin-Do
07-17-2003, 07:48 AM
10,000$, 1/4th of your soul, and your 1st born child.

dezhen2001
07-17-2003, 08:37 AM
i work in a garden centre and often rescue the baby trees that have sprouted up in-between all the stock plants... some last and some dont :)

not bonsai in the normal sense but heh.

dawood

Budokan
07-17-2003, 12:14 PM
I used to do bonsai, mostly juniper and pine, but they died on me. Perhaps it was because I would go out early in the morning and scream right-wing vitriol at them and refuse to water them unless they started to pull their own weight around the house.

I have some issues with dwarfed plants, you understand, but my psychotherapist says we're making progress....

Shaolin-Do
07-17-2003, 12:18 PM
D@mnit!
Yenhoi!
Make with the dwarfing of doobage!
How would I go about "dwarfing" a plant?!?!?!?

Chang Style Novice
07-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Just in case it's a serious question - you can't. You need a tree, a woody perennial. Hemp is an annual (why it grows so fast), doesn't produce wood and will die.

Shaolin-Do
07-17-2003, 12:38 PM
No no my friend, you can keep cannibus sativa and cannibus inica going for years... Indica is better to keep growing over a period of time, and only really suited for indoor purposes.... I have known people to have the same "mother" sativa plants in their backyards for 8-10 months... Just found an old hippi dude by a lake somewherees..... :D that has a 4 yr. old black domina..