PDA

View Full Version : Wing Tsun

PQS
07-17-2003, 07:42 AM
Does anyone know the difference between the way Wing Tsun is taught in the West compared to the way it is taught in Hong Kong? has anyone experienced both ways? (by Wing Tsun I mean Leung Ting style)
Regards
Peter

datou
07-17-2003, 07:57 AM
Hi PQS - I just PM'd you!

rubthebuddha
07-17-2003, 10:52 AM
PQS -- "in the west" can have two different meanings -- european and north american. in NA, we're reliant on GM Leung Ting for our ultimate direction. To further this, one of the senior hong kong instructors, Sifu Lau Ka Sun (6PG) moved to toronto last year. Sifu Lau is the highest-ranking wt person in the states, and it shows -- he was at my kwoon a month ago and gave a fantastic couple seminars. :)

one difference i know of between what we do and what europe does revolves around the pak sau drills (pak da game) to train the different lat saus. there's little emphasis on this in the states, and rather, we just do the basic responses disconnected and flow from there depending on where hands and feet wind up.

another difference is how common wt is in europe versus the states. it has caught on very well back in europe, but in amerigo, there are only a few large schools and several smaller working groups.

another thing -- the escrima side of the ewto is far more developed. that's a credit to Keith Kernspecht and Rene Latosa's student Bill Newman. america hasn't had escrima as a huge influence for all that long, and, thus, it isn't offered at the same depth as it is in europe. also, most of the senior instructors in the states don't have the same experience in escrima as do the senior masters in europe.

rubthebuddha
07-17-2003, 10:57 AM
back to the original question, my general impression is that the main difference between hong kong and europe is how things are trained. hong kong schools use the more traditional exercises and drills, while the ewto instructors have introduced newer drills and such to empasize certain skills -- like the pak da-type lat sau, blitzdefence, etc.

on a side note, if either you (PQS) or datou would care to converse over IM, let me know. :)

Tristan
07-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Thereīs more:

In HK it doesnīt take over 25 years to complete the system.
At your 3rd technician grade you are supposed to master the unarmed system. That usually takes about 6 years! Also you donīt have to be a millionair.
In HK playing chisao is all about fighting. In Europe itīs just an exercise to get smooth.
In HK they apply forward pressure, in Europe they only think they do.

@ PQS:

Do I know you from the UK forum, were these kind of questions are not welcome???

T.

PQS
07-17-2003, 02:39 PM
Rubthebuddah IM ?
In England we no longer study escrima and our curriculum mirrors the EWTO, one of the reasons I asked was there is a Hong Kong student teaching in London outside of the NWTO and I was wondering what the difference was. Also with the Alliance thing kicking off I thought it would be nice to know the difference.
Tristan I doubt it, I very rarely post there where and with whom do you train with I'm with Lee Heron, so when do you start learning the weapons in Hong Kong?
datou, thanks, I had a look at your instructors website, cool site I liked the student programmes breakdown
Regards
Peter

rubthebuddha
07-17-2003, 03:56 PM
PQS -- instant messenger, like yahoo, AIM or MSN.

PQS
07-17-2003, 11:59 PM
RTB
Yes sounds cool, we just have to work out the time difference it's 5 hours right? I'm on MSN messenger I assume one or both of us would have to sign yp for another, actually as I come to think of it I think I am on AOL messenger as well, we can try and organise it soon.

IRONMONK
07-18-2003, 04:12 AM
Hi,

I am with the NWTO and my instructor doesnt do the old lat sao game anymore(palm punch cyle with a leg forward) we now train lat sao eg in IRAS man sao-wu sao partner does pak sao punch to attack and work on things from there.
I went to a class of a honk kong wt instructor(who previously left NWTO) called Sifu Tam Yui Ming(www.wingtjun.co.uk).I think he is fourth level technician and he knows the pole!!His skill was very good and very soft and powerful for a small guy.However I didnt like the way he was teaching WT and he couldnt explain the concepts etc(maybe because of his poor english)
so i prefer my NWTO class -my instructor learns his WT from Master Hans Peter Edel .This master is very good and he is an excellent teacher.

PQS
07-18-2003, 04:27 AM
Ironmonk, How are you?
who do you train with?if you don't want to say on here feel free to PM me.
I don't get to see Master Hans Peter Edel as he doesn't look at my low levels, although I'm hoping to train with Sifu Chrisu when he trains the applications of the forms in Augaust
Regards
Peter

IRONMONK
07-18-2003, 05:55 AM
Hi Peter,

i train with Sifu Andrew Cameron at the Bond St. club .And the stuff that my instructor teaches is from Master Hans Peter Edel.
I went to his groundfighting seminar and he was just amazing.Sifu Chrisu is a phenomenal fighter and is a student of Master HP so it is worth going to his August forms seminar.

regards

faze.

PQS
07-18-2003, 06:24 AM
Hi Faze
you were lucky if you got to attend the seminar, I think Lee (Heron ) spent all his weekend in traffic and missed it completely
I'm training all day next week with Sifu Hawkes next week in preparatation for my 3sg are you going to summer camp?
Regards
Peter

IRONMONK
07-18-2003, 10:37 AM
Pete,

Yeah Lee missed a great seminar!!!
I might go to the summercamp..but i am definitely going to the Sifu Chrisu SNT/CK seminar and ICT-maybe i might see you there :)

regards,

faze.