PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Qi Gong Questions

Royal Dragon
07-17-2003, 03:28 PM
Ok, can anyone describe the core Shaolin Qi Gong sets?

Specifically

Sui Xue jing, Yi Jin Jing, 18 Louhan hands, and Wuxing Gong.

I have video of Yi Jin Jing and Sui Xue Jing, and I have video of the 18 Louhan hands, but to be honest, it confuses me as they are not consistant.

As far as the 18 Louhan hands goes, I have the Temple knights video from KFM, and it calls it both "18 Buddha's palm", AND "The original Five Animals Qi Gong". I also have a different version of it from a Choi Lay Fut lineage that just calls it the Louhan Kung (although the box itself says "Louhan 18 hands Qi Gong"). That one is a slightly different versoion, and it's played with a different flavor, but otherwise it's the same set as the Temple Knights video, and appears to be a series of holding postures.

Now, for the really confuser, I have two videos, called 18 Louhan hands that are both constructed much differently than the ones above. They are a series of 18 very small sets with 3 excercises in them. Two are moving. The 3rd is a holding posture usually, but it's not the same as the other Louhans I have. It does share a number of postures, but the rest of it is very different. The second appears to be constructed pretty much the same way, but the exercises look like a health nut with lots of modern Yoga re-worked it. I also have a version Taught to me by one of my tai tzu Sifus that is the same construction, but also different exercises (His was a Seven Star Mantis set).

In the past, someone mentioned to me there is an advanced Shaolin Qi gong called Wuxing Gong. It was derived from the original 3 of Ta Mo. Can anyone describe it? Is it like the Louhan Qi gongs that is a series of exercises like mentioned directly above? or is it like the first Louhan Qi gong from the Choi Lay Fut that I mentioned??? Is it something completely different maybe?

Maybe if we start with a verbal description of what each set is suposed to be constructed like?? (posture holding, calethenics, Seated meditation etc..)

Sui Xue jing

Yi Jin Jing

18 Louhan hands

Wuxing Gong

Thanx Guys, I have been confused about this for years now.

MasterKiller
07-18-2003, 06:13 AM
1. Close fist in meditation
2. Join palms and begin exercise
3. Double hands push the gate
4. A concentration of calm energy
5. Stretch arms and open the meridians
6. Raise arms and open the stomach
7. Three peaks towering straight up
8. Dragon searches with Right claw
9. Dragon searches with Left claw
10. Sit in the Lotus and hold upper arms level
11. Hold arms level with palms facing downward
12. Raise both arms upwards
13. Calm the mind and sink the chi
14. Raise both arms upward again
15. Hold arms level with palms facing upwards
16. Calm the mind and sink the chi
17. Hold arms level with palms facing downward to ground the chi
18. Calm the mind and sink the chi
19. Cross hands downward and open the Elixir fields
20. Hold arms level with palms facing downward
21. Cross arms and grab shoulders (right)
22. Hold arms level with palms facing upwards
23. Cross arms and grab shoulders (left)
24. Hold arms level with palms facing downward and ground the chi
25.Hold arms level with clinched fists
26. Bend arms and withdraw the fists (waist)
27. Raise both arms upwards
28. Close fist and ground the chi
29. Closing movement

Royal Dragon
07-18-2003, 04:41 PM
Hmm, interesting, but not really helpfull as I have no idea what all the poetry means. I'm looking more for general guidlines to help me identify the sets. I'm trying to graps the "Essence" of them, so I can identify the sets, or sets that came from them. Forinstance, I have 4 videos all claiming to be 18 Louhan Hands. The first Two are constructed very similar to each other, but the very different form the 3rd and 4th. The 3rd and 4th are very similar to each other, but very different than 1 and 2. So, which is the real thing? The one that is mostly posture holding (1&2)?, or the one thats mostly lots of calisthenic drills (3&4)?

JAZA
07-18-2003, 07:24 PM
RD:

I only have trained in the CLF Luohan Qi Gong first form. I think they called the system Luohan Gong, as Luohan exercises.
The first form is Sup Bak Luohan Kuen or 18 hands/fists of the luohan ans is intented to take your body to full tension and relax sincronized with the breath. I think this are the principles of Yi Jin Jing.
CLF Luohan Qi Gong also have 4 more forms and other exercises.
The forms are:
Siu Luohan
Dai Luohan
Tai Gik
Mo Gik ( Wu ji)

You can find more info in clfma.com and a description of the forms at http://www.luohan.com/html_uk/uk_luoform.html

Royal Dragon
07-19-2003, 09:22 AM
Hi,
THIS is what I know as the 18 Louhan Hands

http://www.luohan.com/html_uk/uk_luotechnical.html

The GREAT LUOHAN - TAI LUOHAN Is what I understand to be Sui Xue Jing

I don't recognise the others exept Wu Ji. That appears to be the Martial Louhan sets.

I'm wondering if the "18 Louhan hands" Is an umbrella name for the three Qi Gongs of Sui Xue jing, Yi jing Jing, and Wuiji?

dezhen2001
07-19-2003, 10:49 AM
as far as my limited understanding RD, there is also a sitting Luohan hands set... which seems to be posture based/yogic in nature. I have seen that version from some southern chinese/malaysian systems of kung fu.

I know its specifically called "18 Luohan Hands" but apart from that, dont know much about it... sorry :)

dawood

Ralphie
07-19-2003, 04:00 PM
RD, that is very similar to the set that I know under the same name.

Tainan Mantis
07-20-2003, 12:09 AM
Here is a scan from the 1st gung of our 18 Luohan.
This is the same one in 7* mantis.

RD,
Have you seen that 7* mantis version being like the versions from other schools?

Royal Dragon
07-20-2003, 01:20 PM
Hmmmm, They all start with that one. I started doing the one sold through KFM by Temple knights a few years ago. Later, I got one from a Mantis lineage, and it was totally different. I'm trying to figure out which is the closest to the original. I suspect it's the Choi Lay Fut version, as it is simpiler, being only static holding postures. The Mantis one is completely different, and is 18 mini exercise forms consisting of 2 moving exercises, and the last is usually a holding posture.

freedom76
07-22-2003, 09:54 AM
This thread is very interesting. I've noticed some similarities to some forms and concepts that I've seen and done. I can't quite put my finger on it yet, though...
My question is what about baduanjin? I've heard it classified as Buddhist qigong and it seems to be very similar (in concept) to the ideas on this thread.
In addition to baduanjin, I've been doing Zhan Zhuang qigong for a number of years with very good benefits. It also has similar concepts to some of the luohan qigong. The zhan zhuang is all static postures.

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 11:33 AM
Bone marrow washing is a very advanced qigong excercise, correct?

Shaolin-Do
08-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Of course. Comes after muscle/tendon changing.
:eek:

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 11:50 AM
then why is there a seminar up hur teaching white belts bone marrow washing?

ninja
08-15-2003, 12:49 PM
Qigong is fake.

MasterKiller
08-15-2003, 12:52 PM
So are ninjas.

norther practitioner
08-15-2003, 01:22 PM
then why is there a seminar up hur teaching white belts bone marrow washing?
Who? Where? At the not at the SD school is it?

CaptinPickAxe
08-15-2003, 01:45 PM
not SD, but affiliated w/ SD.
Chinese Shao-lin Center.

norther practitioner
08-15-2003, 02:34 PM
Thats SD enough for me... I don't like that school all too much.

Judge Pen
08-18-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
Thats SD enough for me... I don't like that school all too much.

The Soards don't call it SD, but there are students of Sin The' and it is the same style, more or less.

CaptinPickAxe
08-18-2003, 12:02 PM
I went into the kwoon because in the phone book it had it listed under MA supplies, and I love a good sword as much as the next man. Much to my dismay, when I entered I had to sit through a 30min group sales pitch.

yan23
08-13-2005, 01:02 AM
i'm wondering why all the excercises of breaking things,or the things with the spear,or the bowl......why they call this qi gong,extreme qi gong?

Vasquez
08-14-2005, 06:47 AM
You call in the spirits like san da in extreme qi gong. quite dangerous if you can't get them to leave.

David Jamieson
08-14-2005, 07:49 AM
those are parlour tricks. only a small amount of adeptness is required. but to the uneducated eye they are impressive and drive people into schools or to make donations for getting to see the tricks.

Vasquez
08-15-2005, 06:09 AM
I've seen the shaolins break metal slabs with their heads. easy for you to say its a parlor trick.

David Jamieson
08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
I've seen the shaolins break metal slabs with their heads. easy for you to say its a parlor trick.

there's a difference between iron, steel and the slag that runs off in the making of them.

The metal used in teh head breaking tricks is slag, it is brittle, it will break across your knee or head or pretty much anywhere with no damage incurred.

again, a parlour trick.

Real qigong has nothing to do with that sort of nonsense, but to open the door for the unenlightened, a little theatre is a viable way of doing so.

Pk_StyLeZ
08-15-2005, 04:51 PM
there's a difference between iron, steel and the slag that runs off in the making of them.

The metal used in teh head breaking tricks is slag, it is brittle, it will break across your knee or head or pretty much anywhere with no damage incurred.

again, a parlour trick.

Real qigong has nothing to do with that sort of nonsense, but to open the door for the unenlightened, a little theatre is a viable way of doing so.

qi qong or not..i stil give them props for having the balls to break something or having spears pointed at their throats
im pretty sure it is a simple trick(after many pratice)....but they do still need to practice it
cant just take any original man out..and tell them to stick 2-3 spears on the throat...and lean on it..and put a big concrete brick on their back and smash it open with a sledge hammer and expect the guy to be perfectly fine..even if you did tell him all the physics and tricks to it...

Vasquez
08-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Well its a good trick to have if you can be stabbed in the throat by spears and not get hurt. You can also stop cuts from swords and if you train hard enough you can stop a bullet

GeneChing
08-16-2005, 09:38 AM
If you have a good eye, you can tell the tricks from the non-tricks. Surely there are many tricks. But there are also many genuine hard qigong demonstrations. I don't think you can just dismiss the whole field because the bulk of it is trickery. Using that same argument, you might as well dismiss the bulk of kung fu. The real trick is konwing enough about basic physics to be able to determine what is really hard and what is really easy. Even better, if you try some of these stunts (under the watchful eye of qualified master) you'll know exactly how hard or easy some of them are.

Note: I've seen a few qigong 'tricks' go wrong too - live on stage, no less. As with anything in the martial arts, you can only speak poorly of it if you've done it. Denigrating it from an armchair perspective is demonstrates low wude.

David Jamieson
08-16-2005, 10:07 AM
I agree. I have seen hard qigong feats that are quite impressive.

They involved taking tremendous strikes with hard objects.

I don't dismiss hard qigongs it all, just the obvious stuff and the known tricks.
Most will not see or get to see the real deal in a stage show, although, now and then someone opens the box'o'goodness.

Indestructible
08-16-2005, 10:55 AM
All kung fu is qi gong. Hard qi gong is fighting, application or rigerous drilling of fighting skills. Soft qi gong is restorative and promotes a healthy body and mind. You can have one without the other, but you shouldn't. Yin/Yang baby.

yan23
08-17-2005, 12:04 AM
i want to explain why i made this question...

i saw so many times in t.v,ths kind of demostrations,and i'm proud to say that i believed everyone,but then i come to china,and one day sitting on the temple,having lunch,one of the chinese take his bowl,put it in his stomach and,,,,,,,,tarararan!!!!!! the bowl was stuck in his stomach,and this was the beggining of the end,i stand up fast and i ask:how?,he laught,and after 3 attempts the bowl was stuck in MY stomach,the next day,i was so courious about chi kung,that i ask about the spear thing.he do it in front on me,easily,and after he tell me,try,so i put the spear on my troat,and i start to push carefully,my first think was,"this is imposible",so i ask him if there is any kind of trick,and he answer,train a little bit every day...
2 weeks later,i bend my first spear,and i don't remember any blue lights pointing me,with no ambience music,and i wasn't in ma bu with my hands trembling,taking the chi of the dan tien and bringing to my troat.
metal bar----- succes1 day(painful,but was my first attempt)
needle and cristal---- succes 1 day (the needle was quite big,and the crisstal quit thin,and very well suported)
also i tried to brake the briks,and i think is quite easy with techniqe an speed.

sorry for the boring story,but what i want to say is WHY?.

i mean,there is a mix between,trick,techniqe,practice,no fear.but defintly no chi gong.

is shaolin kung fu becoming a "circus"?
i came here because i want to be a teacher,but i'm sure i will never teach this kind of things...

if somebody want i can take some videos of me donig this,but you need to explain me how to post it in the net.

Vasquez
08-17-2005, 04:59 AM
You're probably born with good chi. One in a million individuals will train to become great masters. too bad you underestimate your gift.

GeneChing
08-17-2005, 09:34 AM
Study your history. Shaolin kung fu has always been a circus - a zen circus. You just got to figure out if you're a juggler, a lion tamer, an MC, a trapeze artist or a clown. I'm guessing most of us are clowns.

David Jamieson
08-18-2005, 05:54 AM
a clown can be a very useful thing to be. afterall, it is difficult to attack when you are laughing. :p

Vasquez
08-18-2005, 07:55 AM
Isn't a shaolin worth 10,000 soldiers?

GeneChing
08-18-2005, 09:44 AM
How much is that in clowns?

David Jamieson
08-18-2005, 12:59 PM

Vasquez
08-19-2005, 05:18 PM
100s, 1000s or whatever you get the picture.

ShaolinFighter
08-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Hello all,

I'm new here and quite new in Shaolin Kungfu.
I like Kungfu very much so I went to China and at the moment I stay in Deng Feng training in a small school but there's no Qi Gong, I don't know why, no Chin Na and the sanda is very different. But the training is very hard and a lot of hours per day, I hope I can do it for 2 months.

@Yen23
I saw you train in Deng Feng too, maybe we can meet one time. I would like to ask you some questions about that Qi Gong because there's a lot I don't understand. Is it real or not ?? I saw the Shaolin Monks in a Show in Europe with their incredible skills. You seem to have good skills also, you learned very fast Qi Gong, maybe you can help me !!

@all
Why Shaolin is a circus ??
Is not Shaolin the birthplace of a martial arts ??

Thanx for information !!

Thomas

Pk_StyLeZ
08-24-2005, 09:51 AM
yen23
ask them how they are able to be kicked in the balls/nutsack and not be hurt?
and ask them to teach u too
and then tell me the secrets to that too
thanks

David Jamieson
08-24-2005, 07:40 PM
yen23
ask them how they are able to be kicked in the balls/nutsack and not be hurt?
and ask them to teach u too
and then tell me the secrets to that too
thanks

You do the exercises that will thin the external oblique aponeurosis.
This in turn will lead to an expanded external inguinal ring.
Then it's a matter of retraction exercises much like qigongs.

I'm sure you can guess at what the exercises are to do the first that facilitates the second. But do you really want to go through with it? :p

yan23
08-25-2005, 09:53 AM
unfortunatly,i only saw this in video,and nobody in my school had try this before...

but,in the documentary i see with a "monk" doing this in underwear it looks like the other guy is not really kicking his friend,and may be is kicking a little bit behind the "balls"?
i really don't know the techniqe of this,but i'm sure it's nothing about qi gong...

and i ask you:

you think that this monk can control his chi,so the chi recovered his balls, protecting him from the kick?

i hope you understand the question,my english is not very correct

Pk_StyLeZ
08-25-2005, 04:47 PM
i saw a video...of this *monk group* goin to some government place and asked this political guy to kick the monk in the balls...and the guy was kicking him there..i highly doubt the political guy was told to kick behind the balls......
and as for u..u broke a metal bar like nothing.....u bent a spear in 2 weeks....wat can be so hard bout being kicked in the balls trick??come on do it and learn it and teach me

and as for if i think the monks can really control their chi and wat not...i could care less what they can do...chi or no chi...i give them balls and mad PROPS for attempting those *stunts or tricks*.....cuz i know eve though they might be tricks...that still practice it and practice a lot before they go out and perform it....i know they train a lot more hardcore then i do so i stil got respect for dem

and if u ask me if i giv u balls or props for breakint he metal bar and bending the spear..i giv u props and balls too =)
now go teach me the kicking the ball trick =)

Vasquez
08-26-2005, 04:37 AM
I agree. If its a trick its a good one to know in a fight.

yan23
08-26-2005, 11:25 PM
allways the same story.....

you should read the beggining of the tread,i didn't say that all this performances are easy,and i didn't say i can do all the performances they do,i just ask why they call this qi gong?

because i learn qi gong before,and it was slow movements for have a better flowing of energy in the meridians,for stretch you tendons,for strengh it,but not for brake things in your head,or be able to receive kicks in the balls.

anyway,believe what you want...

Vasquez
08-27-2005, 07:53 AM
It takes an element of belief to make it work for you.

Pk_StyLeZ
08-27-2005, 06:41 PM
i didnt say u know everything
i said since u learn two of the chi qong*tricks* so fast
try to learn this one really fast
so u can teach me too
because this is the only one i really want to learn
beside iron palm
but i rather have irons balls first so i can **** grls off and not worried bout gettin my balls kicked =D =D hahaha jk jk

ok so why they call this qi gong?
simple..because qi is energy/air or wutever..and qong is work...they are doing work with their energy/air..so they call it qi qong
that why it is called qi qong
=)

Becca
09-06-2005, 04:01 PM
allways the same story.....

you should read the beggining of the tread,i didn't say that all this performances are easy,and i didn't say i can do all the performances they do,i just ask why they call this qi gong?

because i learn qi gong before,and it was slow movements for have a better flowing of energy in the meridians,for stretch you tendons,for strengh it,but not for brake things in your head,or be able to receive kicks in the balls.

anyway,believe what you want...
You studied chi gong, you practiced it untill it becomes second nature to you, and then don't understand why physical manifestations of chi gong are called chi gong?

And, just so you know, most people do have a long learning curve for most tricks like that. But you were not new to chi gong, just to the tricks themselves. :)

GeneChing
09-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Why Shaolin is a circus ?? Answer this we must. Seek you koan zen, young padawan (kungan chan if we must do it in Mandarin).

kai men
09-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Hi everybody
Qigong is a term which represents a lot of things, not just the cultivation of life en energy.
When we say Qigong inside a Martial Art, we must adapt the term to that context. We are talking about martial qigong. Indeed, I believe that it is not the same to breack a brick using your mind and directing your wei Qi to the hand, compared with doing it using just brute force or even good technique.
Here is where it becomes Martial qigong.
I agree with Gene: you first try to do it, then, only then you can speack.
Regards
Horacio

David Jamieson
09-11-2005, 09:40 AM
I think there are probably a few of us on these boards who have practiced many varieties of qigongs. Some with positive results, some with negative and some with no results or anything tangible.

Doing qigongs is a practice where you need to tune into the practice, and yourself and yourself to the practice until eventually you find gongs that are harmonious with your being and contribute to your peace and well being.

Emphasizing physics tricks, in my opinion is not qigong, it is simply entertainment will little or no redeeming value or context to martial arts or even to the path of kungfu.

Emphasizing an attempt at making better ones' energy levels, one's attitude and outlook, ones physical health and physical improvement is where qigong is at. But I think that because qigong generally requires patience and time to get any viable results from, there are many, particularly impatient people who will always scoff at these practices. Oh well, tough titty for them, they are the ones who lose out because of their impatience ultimately. :p

This interjection is over.
Cheerio!

SimonM
09-12-2005, 02:04 AM
I stand by the veracity of Iron Shirt. Learning just part of that form did improve my resilience to strikes perceptably. Now I don't pretend it did so by manipulating a magical force but it is a very good exercise regimen for this purpose.

GeneChing
09-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Emphasizing physics tricks, in my opinion is not qigong, it is simply entertainment will little or no redeeming value or context to martial arts or even to the path of kungfu. I'd disagree with you here, KL. I think a basic understanding of physics is critical to martial arts, especially in CMA when it comes to na and shuai (but also important in basic strikes, of course). Leverage and breaking is important stuff. I know what you meant by that comment, but I'd also argue that a basic understanding of the 'tricks' is fundamental to being part of the jianghu - it's a key to penetrating CMA culture.

David Jamieson
09-12-2005, 09:41 AM
I agree that understanding principles of physics in context and relation to the kinetics involved in human motion are critical to application of martial art with any efficacy.

I know, that you know, that I know that you know, however, that if one were to demonstrate gongs that were particularly healthful but didn't involve bending some inanimate object, or breaking inanimate bjects over your head or any number of other demonstrations, then people would probably not be interested in the practice as a whole. :p

ah well, call me dry and unengaging, but I am less interested in the fanciful and more interested in the practical even if it does take a couple of years to really achieve the practical.

Vasquez
09-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Physics is only a western science there is no comparison to the east.

David Jamieson
09-13-2005, 07:48 AM
Physics is only a western science there is no comparison to the east.

Ok, dude, you ever hear the phrase that "sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool instead of saying something and having it confirmed".

Physics are universal. Applied physics are universal. The concepts of physics are not alien to the east. Geezuz kee rist! How the f@ck do you think they build airplanes? Roads? Buildings? well, pretty much everything.

yeesh

GeneChing
09-13-2005, 12:06 PM
I know, I know... ;)

I think you have to engage all philosophies and sciences nowadays. To say
Physics is only a western science there is no comparison to the east. is a foolish as to say the opposite. The whole notion of East and West is evaporating, especially with the web. The world is a friggin' ball. It's not flat. :eek: OK, seriously now, qigong good, physics good. It's all good.

Jim Roselando
09-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Hello,

Intersting topic!

Beware of lots of stuff in MA. If someone cannot explain the benefits simply and how to achieve them simply then you need to watch out.

Chi Kung is SIMPLE!

Minimum of 20 minutes per day is required IMO for the first few years (2-3). Depends on the individual. When people ask what do you think is a good set to start training???? I always recommend Yang Sheng "Jam Jong" AKA Tree Huggin!

Thru stillness one can activate the energy flow. Thru stillness one can begin to focus the awareness and connect the mind and body. Later, when you have plenty of energy, then you can do any set you want but the hardest thing is is the central theme of any Chi Kung training:

Proper posture, Relaxation (body & mind) & Deep soft silk like breathing!

Dont worry about other stuff. Try 20 minutes a day for 3 months and see how you feel! Let mother nature take its course!

What good does it do for you as a martial artist?

Without the ability for the body and mind to work together and cultivate the Chi there can be no real mind/body connection! Once you have it then you will also be more balanced, relaxed, sensative, alert, etc.. All attributes that relate to fighting.

Priority numero uno is:

Sink the Chi to the Dan Tien!

Peace,

SimonM
09-13-2005, 11:06 PM
I know, I know... ;)

I think you have to engage all philosophies and sciences nowadays. To say is a foolish as to say the opposite. The whole notion of East and West is evaporating, especially with the web. The world is a friggin' ball. It's not flat. :eek: OK, seriously now, qigong good, physics good. It's all good.

Hey Gene! Actually this has been going on in academic circles since the seventies. I'd turn your attention to two books: "The Tao of Physics" and "The Spinning Wu Li Masters" these two books look at the interrelationship between late relativistic physics / early quantum physics and traditional "eastern" metaphysics. Of course when one reads Aurelius and compares him directly to Laotze you see that the east/west metaphysical divide is not particularly reasonable anyway but that is another matter.

What it comes down to is that to suggest that talking about physics has no place in a discussion of martial arts because Physics - as we know it today - was initially codified in rennaissance and restoration Europe is the statement of an uneducated fool. :D

GeneChing
09-14-2005, 10:10 AM
I hear ya, SimonM. It's like there was the axis age (the time of Laozi and Aurelius and many other original great thinkers) then there was the rennaissance, the the 60's revolution (leading to that 70's fallout leading to The Tao of Physics, etc.) Now, with the internet, it looks like we're in the age of blog babble. Maybe that's the hangover of the 60's still...

But back OT, Grandmaster Tu Jin-sheng (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=319) (that's right, the iron crotch master (http://store.martialartsmart.net/prjt001.html)) teaches a special seminar specifically on qigong tricks and stunts. He is quick to point out that these are not 'true' expressions of qigong. They do require some skill and a little slight-of-hand knowledge of the 'tao of physics'. He teaches it partly to debunk, partly to build confidence in students, and mostly because it's fun (I think). It's amusing how many local masters have shown up to this seminar. Gigi Oh, our publisher, sat in on part of one of these, was rather excited about being able to pop the bottom of a wine bottle out by slapping the top until I told her we used to do that while drunk in college with Lucky Lager beer bottles. this being said, I maintain my position that understanding the qigong stunts is very important to the practice of martial arts. You need to know what is real and what is physics. It's also good to show off at ****tail parties :p

SimonM
09-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Gigi Oh, our publisher, sat in on part of one of these, was rather excited about being able to pop the bottom of a wine bottle out by slapping the top until I told her we used to do that while drunk in college with Lucky Lager beer bottles. this being said, I maintain my position that understanding the qigong stunts is very important to the practice of martial arts. You need to know what is real and what is physics. It's also good to show off at ****tail parties :p

I gotta try that trick with one of these double-size beer bottles I have lying around sometime. Never have...

GeneChing
09-15-2005, 09:35 AM
The real secret to breaking lies in what you are breaking. For boards, a little oven-dried soft wood is best. Or you can just get some Paulownia (http://www.martialartsmart.net/203509.html) ;). For bottles, it's all about the bottle. Some are much easier than others. Lucky Lager is really cheap, so the bottles are really cheap. Also, the bottle should be half full, not only to make the break more spectacular, but also to help the *ahem* physics of it.

Vasquez
09-16-2005, 11:46 PM
Gene,

I can't believe you talk down on chinese kung fu and say that its like physics. It's NOT physics - this is a western art. Eastern art is different.

GeneChing
08-08-2017, 08:13 AM
This is becoming my weird Shaolin qigong thread. There's a vid if you follow the link.

Kung Fu believe it? Stomach-churning film shows two boys from a Shaolin Monastery contort their bodies during grotesque dance routines (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4761868/Two-boys-Shaolin-Monastery-contort-bodies.html)
Footage shows two boys from the Shaolin Monastery doing hypnotic dances
One moves is belly like a crashing wave and then incredibly clenches it in
The camera then pans to another boy moving his shoulder blades out of place
The Shaolin Monastery is a Buddhist temple founded around 1,500 years ago
By Simon Holmes For Mailonline
PUBLISHED: 14:31 EDT, 4 August 2017 | UPDATED: 20:01 EDT, 4 August 2017

Footage has emerged of two boys from the Shaolin Monastery in China performing a hypnotic belly and scapula 'dance'.

The short clip shows one moving his belly like a wave and then clenching his stomach in.

The camera then pans to another boy moving his scapula or shoulder blades out of place in a bizarre movement.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/08/04/18/42F751FE00000578-0-image-a-1_1501867801592.jpg
One moves his belly like a crashing wave and then clenching his stomach in
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/08/04/18/42F751FA00000578-0-image-a-2_1501867807241.jpg
The camera then pans to another boy moving his scapula or shoulder blades out of place in a bizarre movement

The world famous Shaolin Monastery in Zhengzhou, Henan Province is a Buddhist temple founded around 1,500 years ago. It is still considered the world's main school of Buddhism.

Students can also learn Kung Fu, a Chinese marital art that combines Zen Buddhism, where they can study how to gain such control over their bodies.

The footage was taken on July 12 but emerged online this week.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/08/04/18/42F7520600000578-0-image-a-4_1501867813283.jpg
The world famous Shaolin Monastery in Zhengzhou, Henan Province is a Buddhist temple founded around 1,500 years ago

I can't believe you talk down on chinese kung fu and say that its like physics. It's NOT physics - this is a western art. Eastern art is different. Physics is physics, Vasquez. Acknowledging that is not 'talking down', it's being realistic. I do 'talk down' deception based on physics tricks. That's fakery, plain and simple. That being said, I have witnessed several qigong feats that transcend our understanding of physics, but bottle (and some board (http://www.martialartsmart.com/training-equipment-rebreakables.html)) breaks ain't one of them. Neither is the contortion in the article above - but that's interesting nonetheless.

Orion Paximus
08-11-2017, 12:29 PM
My teacher loved to put on weird demonstrations for crowds. Bottom block breaks, bed of nail concrete breaks, etc., but he never pretended it was anything other than a physics trick.