PDA

View Full Version : Something lacking?

DelicateSound
10-11-2001, 11:36 PM
I recently read an articlr by Sensei Russell Stutely of the Dragon Society International.

He was talking about "Players to the game", a concept intended to bring certain elements like Behaviour response and pressure points 'back' into the martial arts.

I'm not too sure on the validity if his statements but what do you all think about this.
Are Martial Arts today a falsity?
Are we being taught techniques that will get us killed on the street?

If so - why, how and what can we do?

I appreciate any thoughts on the topic. :)

Arioch7
10-12-2001, 02:02 AM
I do notice that pressure point techniques have been laughed at.

They are difficult to do, the only ones that I saw do it correctly were Hapkido Masters. I dont know how to do them myself but I have had those guys demionstrate on me and it is very interesting.

It is an anatomical fact that certain areas have nerve bundles that you can strike and inflict a lot of damage.

This requires great precision that many martial artists lack. I personally try to study anatomy in depth but I am not so great at it... at least I try.

When I was into TKD, I had the oppurtunity to train with a Hapkido master. While we were trading fists, he grabbed my forearm near the elbow and my arm went numb.

In my book, these are valuable skills to have, not everyone here agrees with that.

Ironically enough, it is the grappling people who doubt the veracity of these techniques. However, it is easier to perform these techniques on a grappler then a more distance oriented fighter.

SevenStar
10-12-2001, 06:45 AM
"However, it is easier to perform these techniques on a grappler then a more distance oriented fighter."

not a good assumption...

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

OdderMensch
10-12-2001, 08:53 AM
it seems much simpler to hit the presssure points of any grapler then say a good sniper, or dudes that lob morters at you.

yup

Oh and trolls, can't hit them hideing in there parent's basement. :D

btw i've never read the article in question when did these things leave th MAs in the auther opinion?

HuangKaiVun
10-13-2001, 02:42 AM
Why should we "bring back" stuff that we traditional kung fu guys train DAY IN AND DAY OUT?