PDA

View Full Version : Praying Mantis movies

Ren Blade
07-18-2003, 09:55 AM
What are good Praying Mantis movies to look out for?

I've seen an old school kung fu movie Mantis Combat and I don't know the actor's name. Other than that the Mantises I see are like Wu Shu Mantis from Jet Li and Yu Hai in Shaolin Temple 3, Jet Li again doing a little bit in the end fight of Last Hero Of China, the end fight of that Gordon Liu movie Shaolin Drunken Monk, end fight in Sammo Hung's Warriors 2. Oh and a little bit from Cynthia Rothrock in this Hong Kong movie that's hard to find nowadays - Magic Crystal.

I've heard of Deadly Shaolin Mantis. That's with Lau Kar Leung I think. Is that one good? I want to see more Praying Mantis used in the movies.

What are your recommendations?

mantisben
07-18-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Ren Blade
What are good Praying Mantis movies to look out for?

I've heard of Deadly Shaolin Mantis. That's with Lau Kar Leung I think. Is that one good? I want to see more Praying Mantis used in the movies.

What are your recommendations?

The movie Deadly Shaolin Mantis was done by David Chiang for Shaw Brothers, and directed by Liu Chia Liang. In this one, the bad guy (Liu Chia Yung?) fights something called the shadow technique, then gets his guts ripped out.

The movie "Thundering Mantis" was done by Liang Chia Jen. This is the movie where he literally goes mad in the last fight scene.

The "Death Duel of Kung Fu" was pretty good. It has Don Wong Tao doing Mantis, and the bad guy doing Mantis also.

Jackie Chan uses Mantis in the end of the movie "Master with Cracked Fingers" (?). This was one of his older films, where he has to shove his hands in broken glass.

Another movie is "Long-Step Mantis" aka "Dynamite Trio".

Finally, the movie "7 Commandments of Kung Fu" has both the guy and the bad guy fighting Mantis. The good guy is Li Yi Min.

I hope this was helpful.

mantis108
07-18-2003, 02:44 PM
Jackie Chan uses Mantis in the end of the movie "Master with Cracked Fingers" (?). This was one of his older films, where he has to shove his hands in broken glass.

That movie featured the CCK TCPM version of Bengbu form (the entire form) and excerpts of 8 basic stances. I believe the movie was late 70s early 80s.

Mantis108

mantisben
07-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by mantis108

That movie featured the CCK TCPM version of Bengbu form (the entire form) and excerpts of 8 basic stances. I believe the movie was late 70s early 80s.

Mantis108

I'm gonna get the movie just to see the CCK TCPM version of Bengbu!

Thanks for the information!

Ren Blade
07-21-2003, 06:51 AM
Sweet. Thanks. :cool: