PDA

View Full Version : Praying Mantis Kung Fu movies

Ren Blade
07-18-2003, 10:04 AM
What are good Praying Mantis Kung Fu movies to look out for?

I've seen an old school kung fu movie Mantis Combat and I don't know the actor's name. Other than that the Mantises I see are like Wu Shu Mantis from Jet Li and Yu Hai in Shaolin Temple 3, Jet Li again doing a little bit in the end fight of Last Hero Of China, the end fight of that Gordon Liu movie Shaolin Drunken Monk, end fight in Sammo Hung's Warriors 2. Oh and a little bit from Cynthia Rothrock in this Hong Kong movie that's hard to find nowadays - Magic Crystal.

I've heard of Deadly Shaolin Mantis. That's with Lau Kar Leung I think. Is that one good? I want to see more Praying Mantis used in the movies.

What are your recommendations?

jethro
02-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Allright, I know that this was posted a while ago, but you have to check out Dance of the dRUNKEN MAntis-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

mickey
02-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Hi Ren Blade,

If my memory is correct, the last fight scene of The Challenger has the best "cinematic" representation of the Praying Mantis style that I have ever seen. The actor using it is Kao Fei (the bad guy) and he performs with incredible attitude and flair. The movie also stars David Chiang. It is worth taking the time to get. It was evident that the choreographer knew something.

For the best demonstration of the Seven Star Mantis style, I suggest you try to seek out Master demos that feature the late Brendan Lai. He really embodied his knowledge.

mickey

puma
03-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Hey all...let me see if I can be of some help here

The Hot The Cool and The Vicious...the villian Tommy Lee is suppose to be doing mantis

Tiger over wall... Kao Fei does mantis very well at the end of this movie when he fights Hwan Jang Lee...very briefly though,but good

7 Commandments of kung fu..Chang Yi does mantis in this one too...the scene on his tippy toes was over the top though:)

Death duel of kung fu...Han Ying is the villian in this one and he is doing mantis too

Shaolin Traitorous...Sammo Hung is a villian in this one and he's doing mantis

Eagle Claws...Chang Yi is also a mantis villian in this one

Thundering Mantis..Leung Kar Yan becomes an insane mantis fighter in this one

Long Step Mantis...Lung Fei is an one armed fighter against mantis exponents

Death Duel of the Mantis...again..Lung Fei is a chicken fist exponent against mantis exponents...it sounds corney,but it really is a good flick...check them
all out if you can and enjoy:) :D

5Animals1Path
03-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow has a quick mantis fight between the province champion and Jackie Chan. Dunno how good it is, I know **** about mantis.