PDA

View Full Version : BJJ, Bob, and me...

shaolin kungfu
07-18-2003, 07:55 PM
Just got back from checking out the BJJ school. I had the good fortune of showing up on a day when they weren't really running a formal class, so I got to see some of Matamoros' more dedicated students spar. Really cool stuff. One of these guys was a giant marine named Bob. His arms were about 1 1/2 times the size of mine. The guy must have weighed 230 pounds of nothing but muscle. Should be fun having him kill me like a little bug.:)

Matamoros seemed like a cool dude. He talked a bit about the art and who he learned from, you know, the usual stuff. Anyways, I signed up and start this monday. It didn't even cost as much as shaolin for the first month.:)

That's it, just felt like tellin everyone.

chen zhen
07-19-2003, 02:19 AM
Good for you!:)
Hope you'll be happy about it.
matamoro sounds like a Japanese name..? anyway, I'm glad that I'll be grappling a bit too at my JKD when I begin. When I tried it out, I got to have a freestyle grappling match with the assistant instructor, and I made it very well!:)
Except at last, when I had to tap out of an armlock..:rolleyes::D
That was what caused me to make that big-ass thread "How do u get out of an armlock?", if anyone remembers..;)

shaolin kungfu
07-19-2003, 08:07 AM
I geuss it does sound a little japanese. I actually think he's south american, possibly brazilian. The accent sounded more like that than japanese.

Good job grappling the jkd guy. Sounds like that should be fun, what with the stick fighting and grappling that they include.:) :cool:

Kristoffer
07-21-2003, 05:15 AM
agree

chen zhen
07-26-2003, 05:22 AM
I only grappled me blokes before going at it with the jkd dude. :D

Yung Apprentice
07-26-2003, 01:13 PM
I'm going to a bjj school probably this monday. The instructor there is Ricardo Pires, the trainer of UFC fighter Frank Mir. I met with Ricardo on Wensday, and saw a class. Not only did he seem like a nice guy, but also as a great instructor. I went to a machado school the week before, and they showed nothing from the stand up game. They started the class from the get go on the floor. I remember thinking to myself, "Well, how do they get there?" When I went to Pires's school, he showed takedowns, made them start from the top, it just seemed more realitsic to me. Also, at the Machado school, the head instructor wasn't there, and it seems that he's not there most of the time. Meanwhile Pires is the head instructor, and is pretty much always there. Plus at his school, he has an OCTAGON. OH YEAH!!!!

If you want to check out the school website, here:

www.lvcombatclub.com

chen zhen
07-26-2003, 02:16 PM
F*ckin cool school u found there, Yung.:)
Good luck with it.
My coming JKD is located here:
www.jkd.dk
in danish, sorry..:rolleyes:;)

Yung Apprentice
07-26-2003, 04:09 PM
The JKD school I orignially had BJJ too, but it was once a week, and it happened on the one day I couldn't make it.