PDA

View Full Version : Training for Life!

StickyHands
07-18-2003, 10:58 PM
This is a casual survery, applies to everyone. How long have you guys been training, what style(s)? What's your current style now? How do you like it so far? Anything you wanna change about your training? Etc?

Shaolin-Do
07-18-2003, 10:59 PM
Been training all in all for a while.. erg... drunk...
Broads commin over.
finish later.
Peace.

shaolin kungfu
07-18-2003, 10:59 PM
About two years in shaolin, my current style.Not long at all in boxing, and about six months in fencing. Really like the shaolin, the others were just ok.

Come monday I will add BJJ to the list:)

PHILBERT
07-18-2003, 11:30 PM
Took 6 months of Karate back when I was 12, can't remember it worth crap.

Took a few months of TKD/Hapkido my senior year in high school, can't remember it worth crap.

Took Wing Tsun for a year and a half, then switched to Wing Chun just like 2 weeks ago.

chen zhen
07-19-2003, 02:07 AM
3-3,5 years. Have studied Yang style Tai Chi Chuan and Chin Woo Men for extended periods of time. Is studying Xingyi Quan at the moment. have tried this and that.
In august I will be starting JKD Concepts, with some "Real Contact Stick Fighting" thrown in. That wil be cool.

count
07-19-2003, 06:17 AM
Well I haven't done this one for a few years but since there are so many new people here I'll answer.

CMA for the past 28 years. One year of Lama Crane, 8 years of Northern Shaolin in the beginning. I've been with my current teacher since around 1983 learning Chang Chuan (Longfist), Tang Lang (Praying Mantis), Shuai Chaio (Wrestling), Chen and Yang tai chi chuan, And for the past 9 years baguazhang. I think I found my niche and I'll practice bagua until I die.

Along the way I've also done a little judo and some boxing. A little Baji and a little Hsing-I. I have also earned 1st dan in TKD and done several intensives in kali and copoeira. It's all good and it's all useful.

My pet peeve in martial arts is the expression "different paths up the same mountain." It implies an end to the journey. When you get to that point and turn around to look back, what do you see? Look forward and what's left?

I like to read you guys and girls interests in martial arts, your fights and experiences, accomplishments, ideas about training etc. etc. But when it comes down to it, what's really important? Why do you do it? What's the reason for your choice of what you do? Who are you training to beat? Is it working for you? :cool:

Becca
07-19-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by count
I like to read you guys and girls interests in martial arts, your fights and experiences, accomplishments, ideas about training etc. etc. But when it comes down to it, what's really important? Why do you do it? What's the reason for your choice of what you do? Who are you training to beat? Is it working for you? :cool:

1. I don't fight, only just recently started sparring.

2. What's really important? That you enjoy what you are doing and are doing it only for yourself.

3. Why do it? Because it makes me feel good about myself.

4. What's the reason for my choice? My current style/Sifu pushes me very hard, and I'm the kind of person who needs that kind of challenge.

5. I'm not training to beat anyone, per say. I am training to master my own self-image, to see myself as I truely am and be comfortable with it.

6. Have no clue if it is helping me see myself as I truelly am, but I am becomming more cofy with myself, flaws and all. I am enjoying to journey and learning alot about myself, though.

StickyHands
07-19-2003, 11:00 AM
What was your reasons for changing styles so much guys?

count
07-20-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by StickyHands
What was your reasons for changing styles so much guys?

Starting new styles every 7 or 8 years isn't a bad thing. Besides, once you have a foundation, all the rest are just different flavors. As Grandmaster Liu used to say,"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother." The trick is to know which ones are legitimate sons and which ones are the *******s.;)

StickyHands
07-20-2003, 03:09 PM
... LOL!:D

Kristoffer
07-20-2003, 03:30 PM
Wise words indeed :)

I did some self learning karate since 4 grade or so but I have just trained officially for 3,4 years in a kwoon. Shuai Chiao and 5 animals kung fu. I'm recently hookin up with Muay thai ppl and their training

Yung Apprentice
07-20-2003, 03:45 PM
Two and a half years of TKD. I did two months of JKD/Lama Pai Crane. Lost my job, couldn't afford it anymore. I do plan on going back to that school, as it is a great school, but I figured to learn a bit of grappling before I go into the marines.(reserves, so I'll be back home after training) So, I'm taking a look at a couple schools, I visited a Machado school Friday. There are two other schools I plan on visiting next week. One is run by John Lewis, and I'm very interested in seeing his school.

joedoe
07-20-2003, 04:12 PM
16 years in Ngor Chor Kun. I do it because I love it and it fascinates the hell out of me :)

kwaichang kaned
07-21-2003, 02:28 AM
A year in shotokan when i was 18
then around a year and a half in muay thai
Then a hugh break of nearly nine years
And now two years in Northern white Crane.

Merryprankster
07-21-2003, 02:42 AM
Wrestled for 5 years
Boxed for 9 months
BJJ for about 3 years

Why do I do it? I do it because I'm a roided-up, ego driven maniac who likes to hurt people and the only way I can do it without getting jail time is to go to tournaments. When I'm there, I can intentionally damage other people without fear of reprisal. It's just an issue of doing rough stuff the ref can't see or must excuse.

Really, it's all about satisfying my need to harm other people and watch the dejected looks on their faces when they've lost or gotten injured.

What would I change about my training? I want more training time--so I can inflict more damage on more people.

StickyHands
07-21-2003, 05:41 AM
Merryprankster is the pure bloody American of us, lol! Dont forget to throw in some jaw bash, eye gouging, and groin thrusts, heehee, may be a little choke of death here and there? :D :p