PDA

View Full Version : Bai si at famous places?

Jan Seung
07-18-2003, 11:34 PM
I recently saw some people did a bai si at some museums and temples in China.

Isn't this just show?
In old chinese culture this would be an insult to the ancestors?
Is it just for promotion and to get money from Westeners?

How do you see this?

Sui
07-22-2003, 07:42 AM
janice,your common sense serves you well,but not an insult but comedy.remeber the ancestors are pre-us,meanining if you are offended then you better not take their example,but if they think its great then their ancestors do.

the chinese are always think money full stop wether the get it from westerners or not.

be a peace your ancestors will guide you and they sure have a fine example of what they have produced.

sui;)

MAC
07-23-2003, 11:47 AM
Is what you witnessed for demonstration puposes or exhibition of some kind? Were they somehow trying to promote something? How is it that this could cost you any money? Are you saying that they are "renting" facilities to hold this cermony?
I believed that this is supposed to be a private ceremony.

South Paw
07-23-2003, 03:56 PM
I was there when bai si was done at the Quangzhou Shaolin Temple, the Wong Fei Hung Museum in Foshan and the Wong Fei Hung Lion Dance Centre.

No show, no disrespect to the ancestors, and no money deals.

It was promotion, as was the whole Southern Shaolin Tour of 2003. Those people that did bai si were either long time students of Chiu Chi Ling Sifu or from his students that where Sifu in their own right.
Out of respect of the ancestors those 'sacred' places were chosen to do bai si. It gave the persons involved this special extra.
Out of respect, and as part of the bai si, the students involved gave their Sifu (and Sigung) money in small red envelopes. Giving this out of respect and whatever they want to spend.

The bai si was only witnessed by martial artists, most of the Hung Gar style, and in the Quangzhou Shaolin Temple also by the martial monks, the abbot and three local grandmasters.

SiJiHao
07-29-2003, 06:16 PM
Is this temple grave for Wong Fei Hung? Where is located? Anybody Hung Ga should want to pay respect there.

Chiu Chi Ling was movie actor, of course, and there is Shaolin Temple in Quangzhou?

GeneChing
07-30-2003, 10:22 AM
Any sacred place collects donations. It's tradition in China to offer money at any temple when you bow before the altars. So it's not an insult to the ancestors. Quite the opposite, actually.

South Paw
07-30-2003, 10:51 AM
That's right Gene. Money was offered at these sacred places by Chiu Chi Ling Sifu for the whole group.

Jan Seung
07-31-2003, 12:58 AM
There are many people doing bai si there.
Many do not offer donations. They get money from the students and that's it.

I haven't seen the one South Paw mentions, so I can't judge about that one.

I do feel though that some people now use bai si as a show.
It's more for Westeners now than that it has to do with traditional Chinese culture.
Maybe Westeners like Chinese things, just like we like Western things (and take their habits).

South Paw
08-09-2003, 09:48 AM
SiJiHao

Mind your language !!!

SiJiHao
08-09-2003, 10:17 AM
What meaning, money leave at the scared place. my soorry the language, each so long time writing! this my english not such high standard. You ask i question you what? please.

Jan Seung
08-18-2003, 12:32 AM
Gwai lo is a very normal word now.
Maybe not in old times, but now it's common.

GeneChing
08-21-2003, 11:05 AM
hhmm, is that an acceptable term? That's a fair question. What about heigwai? Or laowai? They all have a derogatory connotation...

Gold Horse Dragon
08-21-2003, 08:11 PM
Gwailo...racist term for a non-chinese...in the past and now!
Do not know what the others mean Gene...but I will take your word on it.

GHD

SiJiHao
08-22-2003, 07:54 AM
Chiu Chi Ling Web Site say 3000000 student all over the world. Are theis one student Chinese? Westener? Who student go such Bai Si? What Sifu Chinese teach, 3000000 student help him? I cannot beleive such! Sorry.

South Paw
08-25-2003, 09:54 AM
You can see a picture of a Baisi on my homepage:
www.hunggar.nl

Respect.

SiJiHao
08-27-2003, 02:39 AM
Those Chinese stand watch the actor waiting for paid?! This maybe Sum Jun the Ming Villages. This Worthing more Bai Si Micky Mouse there Disiny Lands! Ridiculous!

Rob Wolf
08-27-2003, 04:54 PM
sissy siji,
Oh, for god sakes!! If you cant find a real hung gar teacher, you should at least learn how to write english before you post here. I suppose you would have to be out of kindergarten before you could make a rational post though.
Rob

SiJiHao
08-27-2003, 09:20 PM
So speak best the English is make you best the Hung Ga?
How you Si Fu the English?

Rob Wolf
08-27-2003, 10:58 PM
Loads better than your twisted punk arse.

(you sleeping, nailing palm on head. so trouble you. got it?)

South Paw
09-05-2003, 11:17 PM
Those Chinese stand watch the actor waiting for paid?! This maybe Sum Jun the Ming Villages. This Worthing more Bai Si Micky Mouse there Disiny Lands! Ridiculous!

SiJiHao,

I know the Ming Villages, but it's cheap to compare those with this setting, the Wong Fei Hung Kwoon. The picture just shows the part of presenting Chiu Chi Ling Sifu the red envelope.

Actually it was my idea to do the Baisi at the Wong Fei Hung Kwoon, and not the idea of Chiu Chi Ling Sifu. But Chiu Chi Ling Sifu kindly agreed.

Although Chiu Chi Ling Sifu is an actor, this has nothing to do with his presentation here. This is all about respect and initiating a person.

SiJiHao
09-07-2003, 08:28 AM
Wah! Da Si Fu! you so many respects!

South Paw
09-07-2003, 11:42 AM
SiJiHao,

You keep repeating. Everything up there still connected? Sometimes practising Hung Gar the wrong way will drive you crazy. As also happens when sitting to close to the fire.

(This was an example of funny) :D

GARRA DE TIGRE
09-07-2003, 01:03 PM
south paw ( garra del sur in spanish ) :

sorry for comibg out this topic , but how you belong to the chiu kao lineage . i want to ask a question ?

which is your opinion about david lee panther videos ? i mean , if the forms are the same you train or was changed a little for the tapes ? also i want ask you if you know the names of the broadsword and kwan do sets of this videoserie ?

Rob Wolf
09-07-2003, 09:37 PM
It appears that siji's redundancy must be due to the fact that he probably just learned to cut and paste and the novelty has not worn off yet. perhaps when he graduates grade school he will move on.

omarthefish
09-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
hhmm, is that an acceptable term? That's a fair question. What about heigwai? Or laowai? They all have a derogatory connotation...

mmm. . . I don't thinl laowai is derogetory. The prefix 'lao' is usually pretty respectable. People sometimes giggle if I use the term myself but nobody gets embarrased. I never did figure out what guailo means. I think it's a southern term.

heigui, for those who don't know, is the Chinese equivalent of '******'. Basically, anthing ending in 'gui' or 'guizi' is derogatory.

omarthefish
09-25-2003, 06:11 PM
the censored word starts with an 'n' and ends in an 'r'.

'laowai' just means foreigner. In rural areas little kids will point at you and shout 'laowai! laowai!', even with their mothers or schoolteachers present and nobody seems to mind.