PDA

View Full Version : Question about ketosis

IronFist
07-19-2003, 12:57 PM
I was at Borders yesterday and I happened to pick up the "Zone" diet book. One one page there was a graph and it said that too much protein and too little carbs will lead to ketosis, which I am aware of. It then said that ketosis will lead to muscle loss. I had never heard that before. I thought the reason ketosis diets were so popular with competitive bodybuilders was because of the amount of muscle mass that they retained (after all, you're eating a ton of protein there).

Which is it? I don't know much about dieting.

Thanks,

IronFist

neigung
07-19-2003, 04:03 PM
http://www.ketosis-ketoacidosis-difference.com/

this might help

IronFist
07-19-2003, 04:10 PM
The last sentence in that article said it preserves muscle mass, which is what I thought.

But, it also said improved mood, and I've always heard that ketosis diets make you feel crappy and lethargic (not "improved mood") due to the lack of carbs.

IronFist

neigung
07-19-2003, 04:16 PM
i would think i'd be in a crappy mood too.
then again, your brain tends to get all wonky without carbs, so who knows.
maybe in cases of extended ketosis you're just.....high from lack of carbs brain chemistry

fa_jing
07-19-2003, 06:04 PM
I read that unless dieting is really really important to you, you should just cut the carbs, not eliminate them entirely.

TonyM.
07-20-2003, 09:11 AM
Actually after the phycological withdrawel from the ICE CREAM and FRENCH FRIES and PIZZA goes away you'll find you're mood swings will level out and you'll have smooth even energy throughout the day without crashes. This is after the induction phaze mind you. Remember that the horrible intense cravings for ICE CREAM and FRENCH FRIES and PIZZA will go away, so try not to think about ICE CREAM or FRENCH FRIES or PIZZA.:p

IronFist
07-20-2003, 01:50 PM
I'm not dieting myself. I'm an ectomorph... doing a Keto diet is the last thing on my mind. I just wanted to know because that "popular" book contradicted what other knowledgable people have told me.

IronFist

rubthebuddha
07-20-2003, 08:44 PM
tony, you're an evil, evil man.

and that's why we like ya. :D

TonyM.
07-21-2003, 06:42 AM
He says in best Elvis voice: "Thank ya. Thank ya vury much.":D
My employer once gave me a button that says, "You're evil, twisted and sick. And I like that in a person!"

Ford Prefect
07-21-2003, 07:01 AM
Iron,

I'd have to say that the book is bunk. It will lead to the appearance of muscle loss, but not muscle loss itself. This is due to the fact that with very few carbs, muscle glycogen stores will not be replinished. This will make the muscles appear flat. This is also why BB'ers "carb up" the day of a comp so that their muscles will regain their fullnes after all that dieting.

Of course, without replinished glycogen stores, your muscle's energy systems won't be as effective, which could cause you to not be able to lift as much, which could lead to a loss of lean mass... I doubt that's what the book meant though. :)

IronFist
07-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Thanks, FP. That's the answer I was looking for. :D

IronFist