PDA

View Full Version : All that stuff about not eating at night

IronFist
07-20-2003, 07:11 PM
So is it really true that eating late at night before you go to bed will cause your body to store everything you just ate as fat? If so, how long should you wait after eating before you go to bed? (Or maybe it would be better to ask how close to your bed time should you stop eating)?

And any other assorted info.

I want legit answers, not "it makes you fat cuz that's why my friend's brother said."

:) :)

Thanks.

IronFist

shaolin kungfu
07-20-2003, 07:17 PM
My sister says you should wait three hours:p

but seriously, I eat all the time before I go to sleep, and sometimes if I wake up in the middle of the night. It doesn't seem to affect anything. But thats not a scientific study or anything.:)

Samurai Jack
07-20-2003, 07:36 PM
I've always thought that was total B.S. If your low calorie diet involves consuming a few hundred calories before bed, then burning said calories the next day, how is this going to = fat gain?

There's a whole group of body-builders who advocate waking up around three in the morning to quaff protein shakes before going back to bed to retain muscle size and lower thier bodyfat percentages. It can't help you lose fat and at the same time make you fat!

I've also read that if you eat carbs before bed your body converts the carbs into bulging beer bellies. Of course, this comes from the Atkins folks so I've gotta do this: :rolleyes:

I also know a guy who eats six times a day and claims this helps him to "keep off the pounds". Maybe six meals a day would help if he was eating apples and rice bran, but he's eating SIX FULL BLOWN MEALS! He read it in "Men's Health" though, so it's gotta be true. Again, I must: :rolleyes:

I know this ain't much help, but dosen't it seem that when it comes to body building there's a counter argument to every argument? I guess common sense isn't so common.

Rant over.

IronFist
07-20-2003, 08:16 PM
I can eat 6 huge meals a day and stay thin, too. It's called I have a fast metabolism :D

But a girl asked me about the not eating before bed thing and I don't know that much about nutrition so I thought I'd ask here.

IronFist

Merryprankster
07-21-2003, 02:36 AM
I find that if I eat before I go to bed, I tend to put on weight. I'm pretty in tune with my weight what with all the cutting I do for tournaments, and I have to say that for me, there is a noticeable difference.

However, you have to understand that "me putting on weight" is like 5 lbs max. I too have a fast metabolism.

Ford Prefect
07-21-2003, 06:56 AM
Iron,

It is for the most part true. When you go to sleep, your body needs very little energy to function. Just like any other time during the day, any excess of calories will be stored for later use in the glycogen or fat. Ectomorphs like you and me don't really have to worry as much as an endomorph, but if you you are looking to cut down to a real shredded look, then not eating a couple hours before bed will greatly aid you in your quest.

jun_erh
07-21-2003, 12:52 PM
The immediate perception is that you don't eat while you sleep so the calories will be burnt off, but it doesn't end up working that way. don't eat much after dinner, even if you have to toss and turn a little bit.

Diamond Dragon
07-24-2003, 02:23 AM
To make things clear, the food won't be stored while you sleep. The food digests while asleep but the process is slower then when you were awake.

Ford Prefect
07-24-2003, 07:07 AM
And what happens to the food when it's digested?

PLCrane
07-26-2003, 10:39 AM
I think total calories consumed vs. expended per week is more significant than the time of day when you get it. Conservation of energy, ya know? You can burn it now or later.

Merry and FP - when you guys eat late at night, do you also eat less during the day so that your caloric intake is constant, or does that late night eating amount to additional calories?

PLC

Samurai Jack
07-26-2003, 02:05 PM
Ford, I think I understand what you're saying, but your body uses digested nutrients for much more than just energy production. Sure if you have alot of excess calories you'll start storing fat, but isn't it possible to eat a small protein rich meal before bed for tissue repair and not become a porker?

I just don't think it's logical to assume everything you eat before bed's going to turn into fat. By that rational you could fast all day, then eat a bowl of cereal before bed and not lose weight.

Of course, what do I know? I wouldn't advise someone on this issue until I see some evidence, but it's not unreasonable to question the reasoning.

Crash
07-26-2003, 04:30 PM
But a girl asked me about the not eating before bed thing and I don't know that much about nutrition so I thought I'd ask here.

Well, if she's cute, tell her it won't matter as long as she goes to bed with you, and that in that case, the consumption of extra calories would be advised.

At least, that's what I'd say. :D

(I had to post that, I couldn't resist.)

jun_erh
07-28-2003, 09:58 AM
In our society, it's more important for girls to be thin, especially among caucasians. So they probably know a thing or two about dieting.

Ford Prefect
07-28-2003, 10:13 AM
PLC,

You're right. It's really a varying blend of calories in vs calories out, exercise, time of day exercise is done, eating schedule, metabolism type, etc. I'm just talking about general rules, but it is a lot more complex. Generally, I won't eat any carbs 2 hours before bed, but I don't live and die by it. All the above factors can give you a lot of flexability as far as diet is concerned.

Samurai Jack,

You are correct as well. Even though excess protein can be stored as fat too, if you are active and strength training it would help more than harm to have a protein-rich meal 30 minutes or so prior to sleep. I'll usually have a chicken breast or protein shake shortly before I turn in.