PDA

View Full Version : Fighting TKD...

red5angel
07-21-2003, 07:13 AM
I finally got around to sparring a freind who has been studying TKD. His school is considered "more traditional", although to be honest I couldn't tell you what that means as it pertains to TKD.

I jammed my thumb blocking a hook kick and it still freakin hurts. Other then that everything went pretty good. I payed him back by applying my ginger fist to his left eye a little too close.

All in all it went like I thought it would. He was pretty conservative with his kicks. He said he might feel more comfortable using them if I didn't like to fight so close in. He had good hands, in my opinion, although he didn't stick like I am used to. He got a good side snap kick that took the breath out of me. We also went to the ground a few times, both of us have a smidgen of grappling experience.
I found myself chasing him a lot. He said sticking to his hands and arms bothered him some and he couldn't get passed the idea of just letting me do it and attacking anyway. He was also really good at keeping me from getting too close from time to time. He tried to clinch up a few times to see if that could neutralize my phat infighting skeewz but thats actually what I have been paying a lot of attention to lately in training and it paid off for the most part.
We didn't really keep track of who was "winning", we had a good time and I felt we were pretty much on even ground. He has been doing TKD for a few years longer then me, but I had about 30lbs on him.

Apoweyn, you mentioned being interested in the fight, any specifics you'd like to hear about? The fight was friday and I didn't take any notes so I can't really recall the blow by blow.

apoweyn
07-21-2003, 08:37 AM
Hmm... yeah. I'd be interested in hearing about sparring sessions regardless. But since taekwondo was my first style, I'm especially interested.

What was his first response most of the time, do you think? Was his default to keep his feet under him and get position? Or to lift a leg in readiness to kick? To respond with hands first and set up for a kick?

You mentioned that he was conservative with his kicks, which I think was smart. But... how do I say this... how about this: Did you get the impression that his tactics were organized around the kicking? Or something else?

I'm not sure that question makes much sense. But let's see where it goes.

Stuart B.

red5angel
07-21-2003, 09:36 AM
I would have to say he sort of flip flopped between keeping his feet under him and keeping one leg up. He was really pretty good with his hands and so I think he was pretty confident there. Most of the time I got the impression he kept the leg up more to keep me at bay then to prepare a kick. It got awkward at times because for some reason I didn't respond well to the front kick he would flip out when I tried to close on those occasions his leg was up. He often used a short kick from that position to set up his hands as well. He could use it to sort of funnel me into a position he wanted me in.

hmmmmm, I might have to go with about 50/50 on this. Like I said he was conservative and although he was pretty quick with his kicks, I stuck to him most of the time pretty good. Periodically he would try to set up a good kick but would end up having to sort of bounce back a little, typically on one leg. I got used to chasing him when I saw the setup coming. I guess what I might say is this, if he didn't know I was a better infighter then him, he may have been more setup around his kicking, albeit short kicks for the most part are his personal preference. does that answer your question?

Shaolin-Do
07-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Interesting....
Did he try and sort of takedowns?
From your opinion he generally wasnt comfortable with close range fighting?

red5angel
07-21-2003, 10:23 AM
shaolin-do, from time to time a foot sweep or two. No real hard take downs. Out grappling experience is both limited and so any of that was considerably sloppy at best.

Correct, he was generally uncomfortable with my "stickyness". He said he tried as often as possible to push me away so he could use what he considered his most powerful kicks and punches.
Surprisingly he also used quite a few knees which I didn't know TKD used all that much.

Merryprankster
07-21-2003, 10:32 AM
Red, you aren't allowed to stick. You don't know real WC.

Knifefighter
07-21-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
We also went to the ground a few times, both of us have a smidgen of grappling experience.

I thought you said you were doing BJJ training.

apoweyn
07-21-2003, 11:02 AM
Red5,

Yep, that answers the question. As you know, I'm not a big believer in the style dictating the person (i.e., not all taekwondoka are going to throw flashy kicks and crap hands). But it's obviously true that training and experience shape reactions. I still see the taekwondo reactions in my own sparring sometimes. Not a whole lot. And they might not be obvious to anyone else. But they're there.

Stuart B.

red5angel
07-21-2003, 11:09 AM
knife fighter, I am but I have only been doing it for a few months.

MP - you wouldn't know what good wing chun was if it came up and bong sau'ed you in the head. Besides my lineage is the most pure. We still have Yip Mans wing chun magic finger in a jar.

It would be hard for me to say if he "looked" like a typicall TKD guy. You could see the difference between what he and I were doing, and he definitely used his feet and legs more then I. All in all it was a time and I learned alot from him. I'd have to say what he knew was formidable enough for me.

Knifefighter
07-21-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
knife fighter, I am but I have only been doing it for a few months.
Do you train at a BJJ school? If so, who's the instructor?

red5angel
07-21-2003, 11:56 AM
I train with some guys at my martial arts school who come to roll a few times a week. One of them is an instructor for this school. However almost all of them learn from Minnesota Martial Academy. I only roll with them about every other week or so.

Shaolin-Do
07-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Then you arent really training bjj.
:rolleyes:

TKD has knees, just that most the TKDers forget to use them... I still see some of my tkd days come out during sparring, but Ive been working hard to get rid of it.
We learned quite a few throws where I took TKD... but my instructor also knew hapkido.

red5angel
07-21-2003, 12:34 PM
Then you arent really training bjj.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean...

As for knees and throws, he used knees fairly often but not as many throws. If could have been that we were in the grass in my yard as well as the garage. Maybe he wasn't comfortable with them.

Shaolin-Do
07-21-2003, 12:44 PM
"I'm not sure I understand what you mean..."

I was joking.

My apologies, thats why I used the :rolleyes:
its hard to convey sarcasm without tone of voice.
:D

red5angel
07-21-2003, 12:50 PM
I figured as much SD but on this forum sometimes you never know....

Shaolin-Do
07-21-2003, 12:54 PM
lol...
Are you forgetting what trolled about style Im in?
The fire moved back towards tkd, and wing chun lineage for the meantime tho...
hehehehe
:)

yenhoi
07-21-2003, 12:55 PM
red5, you poser.

;)

red5angel
07-21-2003, 12:56 PM
are you saying my wingchun lineage isn't for real shaolin-do?!?!?

Yenhoi, don't make me post pictures of your mom on the internet man.

Shaolin-Do
07-21-2003, 12:59 PM
No its not.
Bow to GM Sin, he is master of all.
Didnt you know?

red5angel
07-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Not sure who GM Sin is but I know he wasn't trained by Yip Man like my Lineage head was, and shown the only truw wing chun so this "GM" Sin should bow to my superior and only true wingchun.

Shaolin-Do
07-21-2003, 02:06 PM
Ving Tsun you mean?
Wing Tsun?
Ving Chun?

red5angel
07-21-2003, 02:10 PM
The only true spelling as past on from Grand MAster Yip Man to my lineage holder is Wing Chun, all other spellings are just trying to be something they are not and weren't shown the secret and true way of spelling Wing Chun

Shaolin-Do
07-21-2003, 02:18 PM
Spelling it Wing Chun is longer than Ving Tsun, thus making your crushing grip much more crushing, from the longer spelling of the name...

Ergh... Gonna get some angry wing/ving chun/tsunners here if your not careful red :)

red5angel
07-21-2003, 02:43 PM
yeah their going to get all upset and it might break out into an argument or something ;) They might even decide to ask me to chi sau so they can show me how to really fight! oooooh scary!

Shaolin-Do
07-21-2003, 02:47 PM
I have sticky hands after I eat cinnabuns.
Gots to go to kung fu now... Peaceout. :)