PDA

View Full Version : Wushu nationals Pittsburgh

bodhitree
07-21-2003, 08:09 AM
Anyone going to the us wushu union nationals here in Pittsburgh?

truewrestler
07-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Will there be anything other than gymnastics/dancing competitions?

nevermind... i looked more closely and see "Light-Contact Fighting" and "Sanshou (Full-Contact Fighting)".

lkfmdc
07-21-2003, 08:39 AM
The USWU represents the ONLY true San Shou national title and so the answer to your question is YES, there is something other than forms at the competition

truewrestler
07-21-2003, 08:41 AM
lkfmdc... what do you mean by "The USWU represents the ONLY true San Shou national title"?? Thanks!!

Suntzu
07-21-2003, 08:56 AM
:eek: oh geez...

but i PLAN on going...

GLW
07-21-2003, 09:23 AM
What he means is that the USWU actually ASKED and RECEIVED help in coordinating the Sanshou events from the major Sanshou competitors and schools in the US so they could have Sanshou at the event.

None of this "let me appoint someone that will tell me what I want to hear and treat all of the big players like children" stances as you may have seen with other "national" events.

Hopefully, this event will create some true bonds between the Sanshou community and the USWU that will grow and help everything develop.

As for the folks that are so insulting to forms competitors...get a life.

truewrestler
07-21-2003, 09:32 AM
Thanks for explaining GLW!

I don't particularly like forms or forms competitions but I didn't mean any disrespect. If you have something against gymnasts and dancers that is not my problem.

brothernumber9
07-21-2003, 09:51 AM
I thought that USAWKF still was the only wushu body recognized by the IWF for the U.S. Is the USWU a division of USAWKF or totally independant? If separate, then how does the USWU feel for the USAWKF and vice-versa? Either way good luck to all the competitors, and if the support that seems to be there shows up then perhaps the USWU will have a more legitimate claim to more valid champions than other organizations claim.

lkfmdc
07-21-2003, 10:19 AM
The USA WKF is holding its national tournament this weekend, they aren't even offering San Shou. They handed over San Shou to Shawn Liu, which all of the Big 6 protested against. Shawn's "national" had 30 competitors... and NONE from Big 6 programs. Compare that to ABOC which had 150 competitiors including reps of ALL big 6 teams. Heck, compare that to the NY event we held in our school that had more competitors! Yep, our local event had more than his so called "national"

The USWU represents the only credible national title. In large part because they have listened to Big 6 concerns and conducted themselves as professionals. The IWUF thing is rapidly going to mean nada, nothing, because I think US San Shou is simply going to ignore the USA WKF and next time they can sent a team of scrubs if they want...

norther practitioner
07-21-2003, 10:45 AM
Trying not to delve into politics here...
USWU is fairly new, it was set up by some of the old board members of the USAWKF after they got kicked /thrown off, dissed/rightfully/unrightfull the board, etc.....

There are beefs on both sides

Brad
07-21-2003, 02:38 PM
USWU is fairly new, it was set up by some of the old board members of the USAWKF after they got kicked /thrown off, dissed/rightfully/unrightfull the board, etc.....
Actually, the USAWKF Board members that tried to kick Goh out of his position did not set up the USWU, though they do seem to support the USWU morally and some as advisors.

There's a National Council & Advisors. The National Council members are:
Gary Grooms Norcross, GA 2002-2004
John Starr Scottsdale, AZ 2002-2004
Brandon Sugiyama Richmond, CA 2002-2004
Nathan Tong Irvine, CA 2002-2004
Greg Watson Houston, TX 2002-2004

And the advisors are:

Jeff Bolt Houston, TX 2003-2004
Dennis Brown Mitchellville, MD 2003-2004
John Ervin Cleveland, OH 2003-2004
Bryant Fong San Francisco, CA 2003-2004
Nick Gracenin Sharon, PA 2003-2004
Arnaldo Nunez Bronx, NY 2003-2004

Elections for council members are being held at nationals. If you want more info, go here: http://www.uswushuunion.com/

Souljah
07-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Are any of those of you going taking a camcorder?
Its just that I remember there being alot of good form clips from a 2000 wushu competition on Kazaa.

And I would like to put some of the footage on my site.....

Anyone?

-greg

Brad
07-21-2003, 02:55 PM
What sort of forms clips are you looking for, and is your website a personal site or school site?

GLW
07-21-2003, 03:15 PM
Without going too far into the 1999 breakup and BS since then with the USAWKF...

The USAWKF was formed when the USCMAC (formed by a large nubmer of people and headed by Jeff Bolt) and NACMAF *(headed by Anthony Goh) merged and after rework, became a new organization - the USAWKF.

Goh was elected to be president and Bolt vice president. There was no disagreement then because Bolt did not want and did not have time to serve as the president.

From the beginning, a number of well known people that supported the USCMAC had problems. It became a thing that if you had an opinion different from Goh's, you typically ended up on outs and most quit. The list of notables that left USAWKF for such reasons is quite large.

Goh headed the effort to host the IWuF world event in 1995. It is unclear if there would have been any money going to the USAWKF had that event made money. What was clear was that the event lost somewhere over $250,000 - and Goh maintained and still maintains that this loss was the USAWKF's.

First off, who with any business leadership and planning abilities, signs up their organization (one that has NO corporate sponsors and NO budget and a very small membership base) to host such an expensive event?

From then, the USAWKF was constantly in a problem with money...fund raisers, begging, pleading, donations, James Yu "buying" a seat on the board for a $40,000 loan....

Goh did not care for Pat Rice. He tried unsuccessfully to oust Rice from her position with the IWuF technical committee. He wanted Lu Xiaolin to take her place.

When Rice's tenure was up, there was SUPPOSED to have been a board meeting to elect who would take her place. Goh ignored this and submitted Lu's name to the IWuF with no election.

Now, one fun thing is that Lu was, at that time, NOT a US citizen. As such, she was NOT eligible to serve. She DID become a citizen a bit later...from what I understand.

Goh sent the appointment in to the IWuF and immediately left for the world event in Hong Kong. The rest of the board was upset. Several talked of resigning and they then talked Bolt into a vote of no-confidence. The original vote was unanimous. However, Shawn Liu refused to submit his vote in writing and a couple of other board members crawfished and recanted their vote.

The results were announced to Goh in Hong Kong...and the fight was on.

James Yu and Shawn Liu would NEVER submit a vote in writing.

After the original vote, Jimmy Wong and Liu Yu resigned but then Bolt spoke with them and they rescinded their resignations. Goh maintained that they were to talk with him...and NOT Bolt and refused their rescindings...so there were two board member seats in question.

This continued for a year with a stalemate...not enough votes and Goh would not have a meeting.

Eventually, he had his lawyer state that Bolt, Gracenin, and Rice were NOT board members because they had not paid dues to him. Of course, the bylaws NEVER stated a board member even had to be a paying member.

Bolt and company tried for an injunction in 2001 for the World games. However, you must prove irreparable harm to the organization for a judge to grant it. He did not...this did NOt mean Goh was right. It simply meant that they needed to take Goh to court.

The USAWKF has nothing but debt, a lot of bad will, and the IWuF recognition. Of those things, the IWuF recognition is the only thing worth anything.

So, now we have the USWU that was formed in 2001-2002 to pick up the pieces...it is trying to do the work that the USAWKF was supposed to be doing.

Then, you have Goh's USAWKF that he has populated with his supporters that continues to select the US team for IWuF and Pan Am events.

This all means NOTHING to Traditional people since they do NOT care about IWuF. For Sanshou people, the IWuF games is quickly becoming just another event and Liu is not doing well at populating it with good fighters.

The ones that are really hurting are the Contemporary Forms competitors. For example, Brandon Sugiyama, a US Team member in 1999, was asking questions and voicing his opinions. He was threatened with having his membership and eligibility to compete for the US Team revoked.

So...It is a MESS. There is nothing here that simply being reasonable and frank discussion could not have avoided 5 years ago...and those that suffer are those that want to have good competitions and see Chinese Martial Arts have a working federation.

SanShou Guru
07-22-2003, 07:06 AM
This all means NOTHING to Traditional people since they do NOT care about IWuF. For Sanshou people, the IWuF games is quickly becoming just another event and Liu is not doing well at populating it with good fighters.

For the Record the USAWKF San Shou Team does have Most of the top fighters at their weights in the US Pro or Am.

Men:
52-56kg: Albert Pope #1 in the US (#3 in the World)
60-65kg: Michael Norman #1 in the US
65-70kg: Max Chen #2 in the US
75-80kg: Russell Middleton #1 or #2 in the US
85-90kg: Pat Barry #1 or #2 in the US

Women:
52kg & Under: Van Do Top 3 in the US
52-56kg: Jenna Castillo #1 in the US
56-60kg: Susan Paschkowitz #1 or #2 in the US.
65-70kg: Elaina Maxwell Top 3 in the US.

But otherwise you are right.

lkfmdc
07-22-2003, 08:01 AM
Guru is correct in saying that the US team is made up of some of the top fighters. What he didn't say however is how extraordinary it is that this happened when you consider all the BS associated with the team trials.

It should also be noted that Rudi Ott did NOT take his team spot because of the BS. And Ian Morgan, Briana Farro and Josh Beauregard (TOP san shou competitors) did not get an opportunity because Shawn Liu BANNED the NY team from attending...

Oh, and Max Chen would be #3, #1 is Mike Norman, #2 is clearly Rich Acosta....

SanShou Guru
07-22-2003, 08:03 AM
Max is #2 American, #3 in the US.

truewrestler
07-22-2003, 08:15 AM
"because Shawn Liu BANNED the NY team from attending..."

Sounds like some serious politics ...I bet it gets frustrating

lkfmdc
07-22-2003, 08:44 AM
Rich Acosta's citizenship makes for irony, not rankings :)

But if Trinidad has a San Shou team, oh my :p

SanShou Guru
07-22-2003, 08:49 AM
Discussion was about the US team and the rank I intended was for the fighters that could be on that team.

lkfmdc
07-22-2003, 08:53 AM
yeah, yeah, I know, I'm sort of jerking your chain a little :)

But if Trinidad had a San Shou team, scary thought aint it? :p

Brad Souders
07-22-2003, 09:42 AM
when is this event?

GeneChing
07-22-2003, 09:51 AM
The USAWKF was the longest run for an National Governing Body we've had in CMA - and we really need an NGB, especially if wushu goes Olympic. For the origin of USAWKF, check out the cover story (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=330) in our Wnter 94 issue. The split was unfortunate, and we hope that someone - anyone - can take up the reigns again, and soon.

GLW
07-22-2003, 11:27 AM
"Over the next two years, some of the WKF's plans are to develop the intetest and participation throughout the United States in the sport of Wushu-Kung Fu and to united Wushu-Kung Fu practitioners in the U.S. in creating a national network to promote the sport nationally."

The 1995 event pretty much scuttled a lot of things financially.

However, there has never been any adequate explanation as to WHY the "plans to develop interest and participation" and to create a "national network to promote the sport nationally" never went anywhere.

"The WKF recognizes the need for consistency and fairness in the selection and judging process and guarantees the participation of a qualified judging panel and selection committee."

This was stated way back when...but has since been paid only lip service.

The organization had lofty and attainable goals. All it required was delegation of work and organization. They had a definite good connection with BOTH of the main publications in the US for the sport...and really close ties with Kung Fu Magazine here. It was theirs to win...or lose.

No wonder so many of us are a bit annoyed.

ShaolinTiger00
07-22-2003, 11:28 AM
lol @ the "trinidad" fiasco..

This community is too small sometimes.. ;)

lkfmdc
07-22-2003, 02:40 PM
ttt......

Brad
07-22-2003, 04:05 PM
The USAWKF was the longest run for an National Governing Body we've had in CMA - and we really need an NGB, especially if wushu goes Olympic.
I'd heard that if wushu did make it to the Olympics, the USAWKF would not be eligible for the USOC recognition. Something about lack of elections, & lack of athlete representation.

norther practitioner
07-22-2003, 04:10 PM
As I understand it, we have at least 3 national governing bodies that I know of:
U.S. Chinese Kuoshu Federation
U.S. Wushu Union
U.S. Wushu Kung Fu Federation...

I no that the USCKF does there own thing within there international body, but the other two seem to be competing, and I would like to see it start to come together..
US Wushu Union is the only one I know of that has tournies bi-coastal....

:confused:

Brad
07-22-2003, 04:19 PM
I'd like to see the USAWKF & USWU reconcile, but I don't see how it's possible. It's not like the split was just a big misunderstanding, and everyone can kiss and make up... The split is basically the fault of USAWKF management. So until the USAWKF makes some drastic changes, no reconciliation is going to occur.