PDA

View Full Version : site update - new (sidekick) animation added

marcus_pasram
11-27-2000, 09:22 PM
Hi,

Take a look at: http://www.geocities.com/wingchunschoolNYC

navigate to the 'techniques' page and click on one of the two images to see the underlying animation.

The new one is the sidekick on the right.

.mp

JWTAYLOR
11-27-2000, 10:11 PM
You've posted this a bunch of times now. Are you looking for views on this technique?

JWT

marcus_pasram
11-28-2000, 12:14 AM
Hi Jon,

I was trying to put in on the relevant kung fu forums and may have reposted.

As for comments - I'd love to hear what you feel.

.mp

JWTAYLOR
11-28-2000, 12:49 AM
Well, I think the front kick to the groin and the follow up check and elbow are classics. Good techniques to use anytime your opponent extends his leg above his waist.

However, I worry about the immediate action of simply leaning back against a powerful side kick. This seems to be a small linear defense against a large, powerfull linear attack. In the clip, the attacker did not extend his leg fully. Even if he did, in that particular instance he may not have hit his opponent. His distance was bad. But why not off angle at all? Why no side movement? Why just lean back? This seams first, not safe at all since a powerful kicker can extend the kick further by rotating his standing foot and extending his hip. And second, puts you off balance and therefore out of good position for the defense of another forward attack.

Oh, and I also really liked the cross block in there. It seemed to be a great place to trap the kicking leg.

JWT

[This message was edited by Jon Wayne Taylor on 11-28-00 at 05:09 PM.]

marcus_pasram
11-28-2000, 05:05 AM
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by a small linear defense against a larget, powerfull linear attack. Can you explain a bit more?

I looked at the clip and saw that you are correct, the attacker may not have reached his opponent. Also, I saw that the defender shocked in towards the attacker to close the gap.

As for the evading or side-stepping, sometimes you don't have the luxury and you just have to go for it.

I want to take a closer look to study the clip myself. I hope to continue this dialog ;-)

.mp

JWTAYLOR
11-28-2000, 05:43 PM
The linear thing. What I'm trying to say is that the opponent is making a movment forward, on a strait line, that has the potential to be extremely powerful. Moreover, he has the ability to extend his body further to increase his range. On top of that, if he was thrusting forward and planted his body forward upon the completion of the kick he would again move directly forward, on the same line he started. He's in great position to throw in a lead hand back knuckle on top of all of that. That lets him cover allot of distance on a strait line.

In response, the defender makes a relatively small movement. On one side, that's simply economy of motion. Don't move more than you need to. However, in this case, he is not really putting himself out of danger. As long as he is staying on the line of attack, and he is, he must create allot more distance between himself and what is potentially a very powerfull attack than he has by just leaning back.

Moreover, he doesn't really close the gap at all. His foot goes up, but his body never moves. His hips remain in the exact same spotsas they were when his opponent's foot was beginning to start at his head. If he was going to close the gap and jam his opponent, his body would need to move forward or he would need to use some kind of forward thrusting weapon. The kick to the groin wouldn't stiffle the opponent's motion from that sideways position. However, a thrusting front kick to the opponent's back leg instead of a lifting kick to the groin would disrupt the kicker's forward motion.

I also agree with you that you don't always have time. But the priority should be getting off the line of attack. If you are going to lean back, lean back while side stepping. Or just lean to the side.

What I would have loved to see in that technique was first, the exact same block used. But instead of just leaning back, a lean or slight step to the left. Use that great block to trap the opponent's ankle, and use that kick to target the upper thigh with a hard front thrust kick instead of just going for the groin. This would disrupt the attacker's balance, in effect splitting him. The arm check and elbow follow up would still play out well here.

JW

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

marcus_pasram
03-04-2001, 03:45 PM
Hi Jon,

I honestly appreciate the way you analyzed the sidekick. It helped me to analyze and understand our techniques a little better. Thanks ;-)

You are correct that one should get off the line of attack.

This technique, the defender saw that a sidekick was comming because he had previously been baiting the attacker to penetrate with a hard-high sidekick. That session, the attacker was favouring a sidekick to initiate into contact range...

Anyway, when the attacker fell into the trap, the defender did the technique as you saw. But this is only practice, the kick to the groin was just a tap with the point of the foot. In reality it could have been a thrusting frontkick throu the groin area or it could have been a lifting front 'snap' kick to smash the nutz.

The leaning back is to buy some extra distance and the hand movements were placed there just for secondary insurance to cover the area exposed.

There are a few more animations of techniques on the website (I had time recently). On the Wing Chun forum, there is a thread 'pak sau pak sau' where I gave an explanation of why the technique is done the way it is - I'd love to get your opinion/critism/questions.

/Marcus

rogue
03-23-2001, 05:55 AM
Good attitude Lo.

melfid
09-09-2001, 08:19 AM
Hi jon,

This is a gem. Glad I found it.

Rogue - wow - you're everywhere ;)

thanks again,

Dan

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it."

JWTAYLOR
09-09-2001, 04:37 PM
Diggin up bones are you Dan?
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

melfid
09-09-2001, 10:35 PM
Hi Jon,

I had one of those experiences recently that makes me look at things differently.

About a year ago, I met this wing chun guy who was visiting my office we talked shop a bit. I showed him a technique and he asked me if I think it works. Of course, I said yes. At that point he changed the topic of the conversation. Later that day, before he left, he criticized what I showed him and told me a few bad possibilities that could happen to me. I thought he was being a prik and told him as much.

Well, recently I had to rely on this technique and events turned out like he had said. I've lost touch with him and hope to get the chance to apologize for what I said to him.

What maybe well known to you and more experienced practicioners is beyond me right now. So I have a chance to do MY research and I'm willing to look everywhere and not discount tidbits.

I'm sorry if I'm offending people. That is not my intention. I hope people take these posts in the spirit that I am making them.

Dan

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it."

mun hung
09-10-2001, 01:55 AM
My SiHing Marcus always leaves a pretty good impression with people. ;)

If you want his e-mail address or phone number - just e-mail me.

Peace and good luck in your quest for knowledge and a better way.

melfid
09-12-2001, 07:20 AM
Hi Mun Hung,

I would really appreciate Marcus' contact information.

Thanks,

Dan