PDA

View Full Version : Protective Gear

n0bbY
07-21-2003, 04:25 PM
Hi,

I'm curious what type of protective head gear other styles use for full contact free sparring. We have start experimenting with various types at the moment although so far we have only really been able to find boxing gear, which isn't really very suitable, due to the variety of hits Kung Fu obviously uses compared to Boxing.

What we are really looking for is a full face gear (possibly visar - or something to protect the nose) . Any suggestions or even better personal recommendations would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Liokault
07-22-2003, 04:16 AM
Full face gear is easy to get and is a must if you are going to spar full contact alot.

If you go for the type with the mesh front then you can get away with smaller gloves but run the risk of injuring your self or your sparring partner on the mesh.

If you go with the type that have a single think protective bar across the face (as my club now do) you either need to wear bigger gloves or get used to the fact that a well placed shot will get though. They also cost more.

Ill try to get some links up latter

Ravenshaw
07-22-2003, 09:47 AM
When we spar, we use boxing headgear that covers the cheeks, boxing gloves (anything the would allow finger manipulation or different kung fu strikes we'd like to use would be too dangerous), the best double mouthguard we could find (Brainpad), and Thai shin/instep guards. And a cup ;)

Our reasoning is that all this gear is heavy-duty and is expected to be used seriously when training. We do a large number of padless drills where we practice our techniques (some scripted drills, some more free than others) and if we are going to throw in some chin na or crane beaks, this is when we do it.

There really doesn't exist protective gear that is perfectly suitable to kung fu while being safe. Now, from a fighting standpoint, is that a good thing or a bad thing? :cool:

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 09:51 AM
I have also recently seen erm... I believe macho makes a plexiglass style face cover... similar to the ones on football helmets. Would suck if it broke tho....hehehe

GeneChing
07-22-2003, 10:00 AM
Give me metal (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/spareqfaccag.html) over plexiglass to protect my face.

I remember when plexiglass hit fencing masks. Some fencers rushed to it because it was new. But the plexiglass had some initial problems with fogging up in the heat of battle, but where it really failed was it revealed your eyes. I distinctly remember fencing a guy with one of those masks at nationals - he was trying to be so cool with his mask, but I could see exactly where he was looking, giving away his intention. That was one of the few bouts that I won.

MasterKiller
07-22-2003, 10:08 AM
What, you wusses afraid to take a shot to the nose?

;)

ewallace
07-22-2003, 10:11 AM
I believe Ryu advocates pounding the big head. You might want to ask him. :)

Black Jack
07-22-2003, 10:12 AM
I just cover my body in oven baked goat cheese with a nice tomato basil sauce and tie a warm piece of garlic bread over my pincho for added protection.

red5angel
07-22-2003, 10:14 AM
do you HAVE to use headgear? Is it a liability thing or something? I usually just throw in a mouth piece if I can get away with it. If we are practcing eye shots then I migt wear some eye coverage.

ewallace
07-22-2003, 10:18 AM
I just cover my body in oven baked goat cheese with a nice tomato basil sauce and tie a warm piece of garlic bread over my pincho for added protection.
Protection from who, backdoor bandits on the atkins diet?

Black Jack
07-22-2003, 10:27 AM
Ewallace-

LOL!!!

I forgot headgear. On my head I wear a mixture of sauteed banana's with chopped pistachios, caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream.

Oh.....I also protect myself with positive chi ions. I learned it from a black belt ad.

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 10:34 AM
You dont need headgear if you know the shredder.
Or internet learned TKD.

red5angel
07-22-2003, 10:38 AM
are you making fun of my WC lineage shaolin-do?! :mad:

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 10:40 AM
Only Ving Tsun is real. I should know.
Because... I know the shredder.

red5angel
07-22-2003, 10:42 AM
Wing Chun, that is the correct spelling as passed down from GGMOWC Yip Man to the only real wing chun person, my lineage holder.

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 10:46 AM
http://moviepostersetc.safeshopper.com/150/4910.htm?314

The only real and true Shredder!!!

Liokault
07-22-2003, 11:04 AM
What, you wusses afraid to take a shot to the nose?

Its ok taking a shot to the nose but just how offton are you prepared to get a broken nose (or go to work with black eyes) before you do somthing about it? I feel that the negative impact on full contact sparring of face protecting gear is more than made up for by the fact that it alows you to spar so much more ofton.

The metal mask that gene posted is more or less what we used to wear. We found that it WILL damage feet, elbows and your own fore arm so we moved to head gear sold by RINGSIDE that has one large bar across the face.

I would post a link to what we use but the ringside gear web site seems to be down.

GeneChing
07-23-2003, 10:22 AM
I hate getting punched in the nose. But even more, I hate getting kicked in the ... (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/malcup.html)