PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

Shaolin Dude
07-22-2003, 01:05 AM
how is a class like in your wing chun class? I'm curious to know because I get the impression that all you guys do are sticky hands and nothing else.

how long does it take you to become better at it that you could use it for self defense? I heard it's 4 years.

foolinthedeck
07-22-2003, 04:13 AM
1. depends on the class. i wish it was sometimes but most do drills and applications too.

2. depends on the person and 'level' of self defence, learning you limits and when to run away can constitute self defence. As for being able to beat people up, it depends on you and the opponent obviously and cannot really be answered as such.

Phil Redmond
07-22-2003, 06:01 AM
No. 1
My two hour class starts out with a warm up, then punching/kicking drills. After that we do the forms. I divide the class up depending on the students level. Next we work on techniques/sparring, pre-determined and random, ( again depending on student level). The last 30-45 minutes of class is devoted to chi sau.

No.2
I think foolingthedeck answered well. Of course it will depend on the individual but it should be a few months if you practice constantly, not four years.

chris
07-22-2003, 08:30 AM
1. A typical class at our school begins with the first form. Next, we work on drills with a partner. Last chi sao - first structured chi sao - then free form chi sao. The free form time can also be used to work on equipment - bags, dummy ect. All in all probably 90 -95% of class time is spent working with a partner.

2. I agree with Phil and foolinthedeck. With a reasonably diligent practice routine in less than a year you should have acquired some self defense skills - but how effective you are will be determined in part by other factors such the skill level of your enemy.

Another factor is the teaching philosophy of your teacher - some teachers have beginning students spend most of their time working on stance and SLT. My teacher introduces pak da to new students in their first class.

Edmund
07-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin Dude
how is a class like in your wing chun class? I'm curious to know because I get the impression that all you guys do are sticky hands and nothing else.

how long does it take you to become better at it that you could use it for self defense? I heard it's 4 years.

Boy do you have a bad impression of WC training.

Sticky hands is just part of WC. The reason it is mentioned so much is because it is particular to WC. Regular stuff such as callisthenics, padwork, forms, drilling applications and sparring are often part of any MA class. They make up the majority of my classes.

Same answers as everyone else.
We don't devote the entire class to chi sao. Maybe 15-20 minutes of a 1.5-2 hour class.

Should be effective within a few months.