PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to avoid a fight?

Strangelove
11-29-2000, 04:25 PM
alright , soon I will be of age to into bars and stuff and from what I hear around here its very easy to get into one. Good thing tho is that not many people have guns in Canada so I should be alright /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Anyways , do bar bullies only pick on smaller people? I really hate to fight but if I have to I want to be able to protect myself , but is it possible to avoid a fight when the people are like "Hey whats your problem" or crap like that or is it to late to turn back?

Also is kyokushin good for bar fights and stuff?also is wingchun better for that?

Sihing73
11-29-2000, 06:17 PM
Hi Strangelove,

It is up to you whether or not to fight. Just as no one can make you angry, you only allow yourself to become angry /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif no one can "make you fight.
I think a lot has to do with your own self perception. If you are insecure you are more likely to fight in a misguided attempt to prove something. However only you can decide how to react. Basicaly my feeling is that one should only fight when your life or someone elses is in danger. But hey that's just me /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

As to your question about which art to study both are good. But, it is more important to develope your mind if you wish to avoid fights.

Peace,

Dave
BTW: If you place yourself in situations where it is likely you will need to fight perhaps you should look into alternative places to have a "good time". /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

wisdom mind
11-30-2000, 12:16 AM
stay away from places you feel you will be in danger, whats the point....

ive used simple sidestepping in bars to avoid fights, the attacker in fact ran into someone else and got his arse knocked out!

id rather run than risk damage and legal problems....and i can defend myself pretty effectively if need be...good luck and "cheers"!

Otaku
11-30-2000, 05:04 AM
I think that people can provoke u to fight. It doesnt necessarily have to be life or death. Ex.Some guy hits your gurl for bumping into him and spilling his beer. Im sure you wont let the guy pound on your gurl for the 1 or so min until so one pulls him off. In that instance and any other it would be cowardly not to fight to protect ones loved ones. Protecting them from death will not always be the case. It could just be that your protecting them from gettin beatin up. Would love to hear any responses to this.:)

(Otaku)

Strangelove
11-30-2000, 05:18 AM
Maybe I live under a rock but guys dont hit girls especially for something like spilling a beer!
I am very patient and I dont fight but if someone did that to my girl....wow I would go nutz on him , just thinking about it makes me fuming lol /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Otaku
11-30-2000, 05:32 AM
Tru most guys won't but it does happen. Always be prepared for the worst though, ya never know. I am also about to get into Wing Chun, im 19 now.

(Otaku)

Grays Anatomy
11-30-2000, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about bar fights.

For the years I've been bar hopping in and around New York City I've only seen a few and actually gotten into less. I also spent a couple of years working security at a club in New York and again saw few and got into less. Most people don't go to bars to fight. They go to bars to hang out with their buddies and drink and try and pick up girls.

If it really comes down to it you can almost always put your hands up and call it quits. Simply say, "Man - I don't want to fight and I'm leaving." Pay your bill and walk out. The guy will laugh at you and say something rude then go back to his drinking.

I had one (and only one) fight break out where the victim simply didn't want to fight and the other guy didn't care and came after him anyway. IT WAS UGLY. The victim got hit once (with a glass) and then security beat the sh*t out of the attacker.

But that kind of thing is pretty rare - even here in New York.

p.s. If I had a choice I would say that Wing Chun is much better for bar fighting. Its quick and doesn't require much room

HuangKaiVun
11-30-2000, 07:39 PM
One word works great for me in bars, and I'm small and Chinese (a perfect target):

"Sorry" (with a smile).

Strangelove
11-30-2000, 09:35 PM
Do people really pick on you alot because of your size? I just dont understand how people want to start fight with others. Maybe its because I was raised by a single mother and I had all the love in the world but even when I am with a bunch of friends I dont feel the need to intimidate others or try to scare people. Whats wrong with these people anyways , why are they so belligerent and try to seek confrontation everywhere?

Oh well maybe I sound a bit naive but I really dont understand how people can be so aggresive.When I get a bad day and someone is ****ing me off [btw I am very very cool headed and not emotional at all] I try to think and say "" ok , what exactly do I have to gain if I fight with this person.......nothing and what do I have to lose?"" seriously when you get into a fight you dont win anything but you can lose few teeth /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif oh well human nature at its best.

Otaku
12-01-2000, 01:03 AM
Yea, fighting does have its cons, but it also has its pros as well. Such as experience, incase it would one day become a life or death situation. Youll be better equppied to handle it as as oppose to you just sparring in a dojo.

(Otaku)

HuangKaiVun
12-02-2000, 03:50 PM
People pick on me because of my size and color ALL THE TIME.

Despite that, it's usually in good fun. Most people don't go to bars hoping to stomp my little Chinese butt.

As a martial artist, I exert my control over these folks by befriending them and accepting them.

Almost invariably, the result is that they eventually develop a new respect for things small and yellow!

Rolling Elbow
12-02-2000, 08:24 PM
I am a veteran of the bar scene here in Canada so i can tell you what I have seen..people will pick on you and want to fight for a number of reasons, theydon't single people out, they just look for something that triggers anger. Here is an incomplete list:

1. You look at their girl friend and talk or dance with her
2. You look at a girl that they have benforcing themselves onto all night.
3. They feel acertain group of girls "belong" to them
4. You bump into a guy and he now takes a disliking to your face
5. A guy is drunk and needs someone to take it out on..if he senses you being cautious, he'll want to fight
6. if you stare or make eye contact, they are looking for an excuse
7. Any fight or disagreement over who is next at pool or the washroom.

Now, we don't have guns, but we have knives..allot of people are getting stabbed these days. If you are in a bar, know where your surroundings and exits are. If you are going to pack-a-fight' DO IT IN THE BAR! The bouncers will be on you soo quick, neither of you will really get hurt. My brother taught me this after fighting for years in bars and having footbal players target him for talking to girls thy felt they "owned".So stand near them when you feel the time is at hand.

As for the system, WC and Kyokushin Kai are both good for the street or practical use, but remember to use your elbows,knees and head in close cause we all do the clinch up here in Canada, especially the hockey grab and pound. It is the home of the Habs so you'll see allot of it.

Just train in something and see you opponent as a slab of meat and you should be fine..just watch your surroundings and you'll tell when people are loud. It is as simple as staying away from them and making sure your friends aren't loud either

Michael Panzerotti
Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North.