PDA

View Full Version : Calling all grapplers!

red5angel
07-22-2003, 10:56 AM
MP, I noticed you mentioned moving on the ground. I went over a couple of drills for that with a wrestling freind but would you or any of you other ground type guys have any good suggestions for drills I can do on my own for learning to move better on the ground?

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Best way to get comfortable on the ground is to practice grappling... :)

I dont really know any 1 person ground drills, now that I think about it.... The dude I learned bjj from taught it more from a street fighting stand point...

red5angel
07-22-2003, 11:04 AM
I do but for some reason it never occurs to me to ask when I am there training. Next time I go. I just decided to pick some brains here as well, never hurts.

Oso
07-22-2003, 11:11 AM
Knee outs
Sit outs
Sit out and turn

If you are completely clueless get a breakdancing video. No, really.

Get one of those inflatable exercise balls and start with your chest or back on it. Roll it accross the floor w/ your body. Don't touch it with your hands and don't fall off.

Just some suggestions, of course. Moving on the ground has a lot to do with knowing your own balance.

red5angel
07-22-2003, 11:18 AM
I took break dancing CLASSES when I was in like 7th or 8th grade!

Oso
07-22-2003, 11:21 AM
then you should be able to move pretty well.:D

but, seriously, talk about body control and body awareness.
last time I looked at MTV, which was a couple of years ago, it looked like there was a resurgance of the art.

dang, there's another "you know you are old when...." I just don't get MTV anymore.

truewrestler
07-22-2003, 11:31 AM
Oso, thats a wrestling drill for hip heists, sitouts, switches, etc :) highschool wrestling made me a monster on the dance floor :D

I could throw some drills out but then it would be made obsolete by any contribution from Merryprankster :p

There is a grappling dumby out there for movement drills marketed by Erik Paulson... I'll go see if I can find some info

http://erikpaulson.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=epaulson&Product_Code=MMASTER&Category_Code=Gear

red5angel
07-22-2003, 11:31 AM
thats because MTV is a joke man. I don't think they even play videos anymore they may leave that up to MTV2 or something.

red5angel
07-22-2003, 11:32 AM
are there any good web pages out there illustrating some of these things?

truewrestler
07-22-2003, 11:36 AM
there must be but i can't find any so far :(

red5angel
07-22-2003, 11:38 AM
I have found a few with descriptions but no pictures which is basically what I am looking for.
either that or it's all books and tapes for sell.

yenhoi
07-22-2003, 12:04 PM
Upa drill
Elbow escape drill (there are several)

You can practice on a heavy bag or grappling dummy moving from mount, side mount, guard, etc..

breakfalls

and there are like millions of wressling drills you could practice on your own depending on what skills/attributes your trying to develop. Goto one of those college wrasslin web sites, or maybe http://go.to/stickgrappler

:eek:

yenhoi
07-22-2003, 12:06 PM
I think you should buy, steal or copy the fighers notebook from mma.tv also.

red5angel
07-22-2003, 12:11 PM
yenhoi, the first site I went to I can't access the links to the drills, ah well. I may end up purchasing the fighters handbook, I have looked at it before, it may be worth it.

yenhoi
07-22-2003, 12:20 PM
It is worth it. Go in on it with some partners and then make photo copys.

I dont have all my links here. I think that "TKO" site has some stuff on wrasslin drills, or you could do a search on MightyB as he made a few threads on 'skills based approach' that had many juciy links on them.

yenhoi
07-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Also Larry Hartsell books are pretty inexpensive, they always have good ground stuff in them. I havent seen the newst one yet, tho.

red5angel
07-22-2003, 12:26 PM
I'll have to look for MightyB's threads, where the hell has he been anyway?!

Ryu
07-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Yeah, grappling dummies are good. I use them frequently when I don't have a partner.

If you have a punching bag, you can lay it on the floor, and (while placing your hands behind your back) circle 360% around it with just your legs. Always keep your chest pressed down to the bag, and don't cross your legs when you move.

You can vary this drill by circling, gaining mount, putting some ground and pound in, repeat, etc.
Do this heavily enough and you can work up a great sweat.

"shrimping" is another great body mechanics drill for groundfighting. It makes you able to use your hips on the ground to replace guard, escape mount, etc.

Lay flat on your back, and slide your hips out to one side while simutaneously bringing your feet and hands towards each other. Slide back onto your back and repeat on the other side.

There is also drilling where you can lay on your back and raise up on your shoulders, turning your hips to each side. This helps in armbar, triangle attacks, etc.

It's a bit hard to explain with words if you've never experienced them before. The best bet would be to find an experienced grappler who can show you personally. :)

Take care,
Ryu

red5angel
07-22-2003, 01:46 PM
Good idea on the heavy bag Ryu! I don't think I want to purchase another piece of equipment at the moment so that will do.
Although I have to say, "shrimping" means something totally different to me apparently...:eek:

yenhoi
07-22-2003, 01:57 PM
I think shrimping is one of the "elbow" drills and this:

Lay flat on your back, and slide your hips out to one side while simutaneously bringing your feet and hands towards each other. Slide back onto your back and repeat on the other side.

is a upa drill, i think.

:D

ShaolinTiger00
07-22-2003, 02:08 PM
shrimping and the upa drill are different.

upa is more of a classic bridging excercise.

red5angel
07-22-2003, 02:11 PM
ST00, I may be misunderstanding what bridging is but I was under the impression upa was a defensive move to sort of get someone off of you?

Oso
07-22-2003, 03:04 PM
classic bridging get's one or both of your shoulders away from the mat to avoid the pin. either by bridging to the crown of your head or one shoulder.

ryu, described the shrimping drill as best as it probably can. the only thing I'll add is to imagine grabbing a rope and pulling down towards your feet/knees first on one side than the other.

the drill w/ the heavy bag is a 'spin drill'. you can also do it on your back and on the heavy bag, or a partner, is like what I was telling you to do with the exercise ball.

red, you're a nasty *******. shrimping in the sense you are referring to should not be discussed at all, much less in public.
there needs to be an "eeww, sick'' smiley icon.

Also Larry Hartsell books are pretty inexpensive, they always have good ground stuff in them. I havent seen the newst one yet, tho.

heh, a student of Larry's beat the crap out of me several years ago:eek:

Merryprankster
07-23-2003, 03:09 AM
Red, I can't even begin to explain some of the ones I'm thinking of. Find a grappler--learn to move :D

Sorry bud. I was going over it in my mind and it would take me a page to describe one of them.

You need to learn to granby though. Invaluable. Not the full bore come off the ground wrestling granby, just the basic job where you come across your shoulders. You should be able to find a video on the net somewhere.

red5angel
07-23-2003, 10:44 AM
Thanks so far guys! MP, you're probably right and my intent is to get with the guys I have been learning BJJ with this weekend and starting to pick up some of those drills.

red, you're a nasty *******. shrimping in the sense you are referring to should not be discussed at all, much less in public.

hehe, atleast someone knows what I am talking about!