PDA

View Full Version : DOES ANYONE TRAIN SERIOUSLY?

MASTERMAN
11-30-2000, 07:24 PM
Lately the threads have wrecked of FEAR. If you train seriously Fear is deminished confidence increases and the Meatheads don't appear, Right?!

What do think about this? I don't think it matters what marital art is studied, it's individual development that matters then the Bad Dogs will leave you alone.

My Best,
Dave

my bare hands will hold the truth...

nospam
11-30-2000, 11:33 PM
Hmmm..too often 'truth' crumbles in our hands. To a degree training can lesson Fear, but more so, it increases ones' state of Being or at least has the capacity. It is nice to have confidence in ones' ability to defend themselves, but it is a different perspective to have such confidence in other aspects of ones' life.

If you train to simply lesson Fear, how do you train? What is it that actually 'lessens' Fear? Are you training and supposing Fear will lesson with time and skill or are you actually training to understand Fear- big differences in my comic books.

HuangKaiVun
12-02-2000, 03:53 PM
The bare hands don't hold the truth - the OPEN MIND does.

I do see a lot of "fear" on this forum, though not in the form of people who are afraid of confrontation (you SHOULD BE).

Rather, I see it in the form of folks who are all too eager to fight and do not fear the consequences of their actions.

Morpheus
12-03-2000, 03:36 AM
Why should I want to diminish fear? Fear, like anger, is to often viewed as a negative emotion. I don't believe it is. It is fear that prevents me leaping off tall buildings, or investing all my money in that great new get rich quick scheme. On a more fundamental level fear is part of what makes me who I am, and since I like that person, why should I want to diminish part of him. There are times when it is beneficial to be able to override fear, and this ability is worth practicing. The same is also true of any other emotion. I can think of many occasions where it would be harmful to be controlled by love, but I would never wish to diminish love.
Perhaps you have confused fear with panic or terror. Once you have accepted your fear and come to understand it's roots you have complete mastery of it. To attempt to diminish and restrain it will only make it harder to control.

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know an end of terror"
Frank Herbert

Tyger
12-04-2000, 07:03 PM
Fear is not nessesary to be a safe or effective human being or fighter. It was mentioned that fear keeps you from jumping off of a cliff, but in reality, a simple understanding of the consequences is enough. I don't drive slowly during the winter months because I'm "afraid" of an accident, I drive slowly because I understand that it is a step towards an accident free trip along icy roads. If I was afraid while driving, I would likely be too tense to navigate safely and allow the car to shift and shimmy as sometimes happens on rough patches of road.

Fear has its value to an undiciplined mind, but once you've let go of it, you can manage your life much more smoothly. Is it really better to leave a dangerous situation because you are afraid of it, rather than simply because you know how to respond to your instincts and a basic understanding of the situation?

As far as I'm concerned (and I'm open to disagreement) fear is like the rope that keeps a dog tied to his house. All it does is keep the dog from making decisions about where it wants to go, it doesn't really teach the dog where it is safe to go or how to travel without getting hit by a car. Dogs don't have the capacity to inerpret and understand the world the way we do so they need that rope/fear.

Tyger

Just as a side-note, I haven't exactly conquered all of my fears, but I think that learning to let go of fear (not denying it) is a healthy step.

If you want to be great, you have to stop wanting and simply be.

Morpheus
12-05-2000, 01:35 AM
Well said Tyger.
I disagree though about an understanding of consequences being sufficient to make fear redundant. An understanding of consequences only comes with consideration and time. Fear is useful in keeping us alive in the time period between the manifestation of danger and an understanding of its consequences. As a somewhat elaborate example: I stand on the top of a cliff, and accidentally drop my bag containing all my worldly possesions over the side. My first instinct may be to leap forward and try to grab it. Obviously a moments consideration will show me this probably isn't worth the risk, but immediate fear preserves my life.
To me fear is a useful emotion and while it is worthwhile to learn to let go of your fear and be able to override it, to diminish it would surely be fatal.

One observes the survivors and learns from them.
Frank Herbert

Tigerdragon
12-05-2000, 10:06 AM
Fear is more then just a mear emotion. when you experience "fear" there is also a chemical change within the body. This chemical change hightens all of your senses. It was already proven in several studies that when someone experiences fear they hear, see, smell better. Also, their reflexes and reaction time increases This can give you a great advantage over those who supress fear. However, when fear turns to terror /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif , then it hinders you. I believe fear, confidence, intelligence, and good training must ride hand-in-hand within someone to give them an edge. Fear hightes you, confidence and intelligence prevents it from turrning to terror, and the training to pull off the ability to get yourself out of the situation.

So I feel, that trying to supress, or eliminate fear, takes away your edge. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Assumption is the mother of tragedy. Just keep and open mind, be ready, and go full force.

Tyger
12-06-2000, 05:24 PM
I understand that fear has some value, or it would not remain such an integral part of the human condition. Perhaps the fear "responce" places you in a heightened state in order to fight or flee, but I believe that being in greater control of yourself is more valuable. If you feel that you can take advantage of the fight/flight responce by being in complete control of yourself while in that state, then I would say you are not longer "afraid."

It's a complicated issue, but your points are certainly valid either way.

If you want to be great, you have to stop wanting and simply be.

little chain monkey
12-06-2000, 09:17 PM
TRAIN SERIOUSLY??? If you wanted to train seriously you'd be studying the ancient asian art of TAE BO....strike fear in the hearts of all opponents...be a babe magnet...chicks love a finely tuned fighting machine....kick on, masterman...TAE BO RULES!!!!!!

obiwan
12-07-2000, 04:33 AM
I love the way Tae Bo provides such a limitless resource to the martial arts community.
It is truly insightful and helps all practitioners in their journey of reaching their full potential.

The gives something that nearly NO OTHER MARTIAL ART can give........Comedy relief! :D

As for fear, it is a natural reaction.

The better a fighter you become, the more aware of your vulnerablities you are.

All good fighters dont want to get in a fight unless they have to, because they realise how simple it is to get seriously injured. There's always the chance for a fluke random event to defeat you, or maybe you come across the guy that is better than you. (there always is one)

Training doesnt give me fear, but it does give me a healthy respect for NOT fighting.

Just like most professional race car drivers stick to the speed limit more than regular drivers. (My friends a cop)

They are far more capable of handling high speed manevoures and sudden changes in the wet than anybody else. (except maybe stunt drivers)
By they also know the consequences of what could happen.

It's not fear that you read on this site, it's a healthy respect for reality.

;)

The Force will be with you...always

yamato_damashii
12-14-2000, 11:02 AM
I believe that Tyger is confusing "fear" with the "fight-or-flight" response. "Fear" is, indeed, what keeps us from doing stupid things--and this fear COMES FROM understanding the consequences.

As for Masterman, only fools and psychotics are not afraid of violence (well, maybe zen masters). Just because I am confident in my technique does not mean that I believe myself invulnerable to a knife in the kidneys from an unseen accomplice.

Being afraid is not cowardice--allowing fear to rule you is cowardice.

Jason C. Diederich

Co-Founder, Yiu Dai S'uun Ancient Martial Arts
10,316th generation Dai Soke in an unbroken line of NHB Shaolin Ninja Marine successors
<A HREF="http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/rightway/yamato_damashii/" TARGET="_blank">http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/rightway/yamato_damashii/</A>

iamaloser
12-30-2000, 03:56 PM
The fighters I know of who train realistically are US Navy Seals. They train to survive and to destroy. They train with real weapons blazing and exploding around them and they go into hostile situations where no regular soldier would go. Of course in the martial arts, we can't go to such extremes. Martial arts are tame compared to military training. However, compared to the military, martial arts is supposed to teach mercy, dedication, and promote health. If you've achieved these, then you've trained seriously.

MASTERMAN
12-31-2000, 08:53 PM
Just a thought but I intregrate directly training to pyschology and the nature of fear.

Adaptation and response to fear helps to formalate a response to a hostile situation. That's the reason I believe in my system.

Train hard and always ask question...

You Have The Power

Dave S :)