PDA

View Full Version : Street ground grappling vrs Competitive sport grappling?

Black Jack
07-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Street ground grappling vrs Competitive sport grappling

I don't know if this subject has been brought up before but it may be interesting. The question is what differences are applied in street grappling when compared to competitve sport grappling?

By differences I do not just mean in what specific unarmed methods does one user lean to more than another but what difference in tactical mindset do they have from one to another and because of that difference in mindset could "100%" competitive grappling training prove to be a deterent during a real life violent struggle?

I will wait to say some of my current ideas untell I make sure I am not talking to my lonesome.:D

Laughing Cow
07-22-2003, 02:27 PM
BJ.

Thanks, for bringing this up, I have been wondering the same for some time.

David Jamieson
07-22-2003, 02:34 PM
'street ground grappling' ?

what is that? hahaha.

everyone knows that anything goes on the street. you could lose an eye, have your throat crushed, kidneys destroyed or be shot stabbed or clubbed.

street fighting is dirty, so fight dirty and use everything you got.

cheers

red5angel
07-22-2003, 02:40 PM
I have to assume that the number of combatants will have an impact on ones approach?

Black Jack
07-22-2003, 02:55 PM
I am not talking about going to the ground on choice but when that range is selected for you. I believe that going to the ground on purpose in a unknown enviroment is not a good option.

I am more interested in hearing from grapplers on their view of the mindset aspect of the post. I often hear the one linear...."you fight how you train" so I am curious to what psychological and physical tactical differences do they see in regards to the two different enviroments.

Is positional domination into striking-hitting-gouging-fish hooking a part of their street enviroment training or is it all about positional domination into submission holds?

How do they train for the different enviroments...i.e street clothes over gi's? Do they incorporate weapons? That type of thing.

yenhoi
07-22-2003, 04:26 PM
The first thing that comes to mind is using the ground as a weapon, more then just a range.

People who train takedowns competitively will be much better at using the ground to deal damage, then people who just do drills etc.

The ground, when streetfighting (since I have so much expierence) is a great place to have your opponent. Nearly all of the takedowns I train leave me standing. As someone else said on some forum somewhere, all paths lead to puter kapela.

:eek:

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 09:34 PM
Ground is a good weapon... esp. if you are on concrete...
When we was wrastlin in the street, didnt really take anyone down hard... Er... May have... I was pretty drunk....

hehe

"street clothes over gi's"
Wife beaters rip hella easy... Could really put you in a bad situation after a botched throw.

Merryprankster
07-23-2003, 02:30 AM
The strategy remains the same:

Attain a dominant position, eliminate the opposition using whatever means needed.

If I am in an inferior or neutral position, use harm reduction techniques while working towards escape, sweep or submission.

Because of this, the gross motor skills remain identical--I am trying to do the same things in sport grappling. Most of us--not all--train to be aware of strikes so we're not completely clueless, besides which, manipulating your opponents balance and relative space is going to really remove a lot of the damage from their actions. Try punching a guy when you're about to tilt over or trying desperately to recover your balance and you'll see what I mean :)

Alternately, you could flail around like an idiot on the ground because you don't have any real experience, and get stuck under a 250 lbs jerk who decides he doesn't want you to get back up, and won't give you the space to do it. Your call. :D

Some groups incorporate weapons. I don't care because I don't do this for self-defense. I do it for fun.

Knifefighter
07-23-2003, 10:43 AM
The basics (get a dominant position and finish from there) stay the same. If anything, they are emphasized more for actual combat. A few details change a bit. Strikes are emphasized more than joint manipulations. Elbow strikes are used quite a bit, especially from the front and rear mount. Eye gouges are used from the rear mount to open up the mate leon choke. The reverse knee ride (opposite knee on throat) is used more frequently and is pressured harder and slammed down when possible. Submissions are no longer submissions, but breaks that are done in a ballistic and repeated manner. Positions that might get you bitten (i.e. North/South, closed guard) are de-emphasized. Kicks from the open guard are used quite a bit. Lower percentage moves (reverse arm bar), fancy tournament point techs (helicopter sweep) or moves that might cause a loss of dominant position or allow an opponent to access a weapon (leg locks) are de-emphasized.