PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin-do question (not a flamer post)

crazymaddrunk
07-22-2003, 05:52 PM
I used to study Shaolin-do, and actually enjoyed it. Anyway, this thread isn't for all the masters out there that know it all (although I'm sure some will respond, you can't resist temptation), it's for people out there that still choose to study SD...

Anyway, when I was learning SD I learned the 9 one-steps and heard a rumor that there were actually 10. The tenth isn't taught anymore, is this true? Any history on that from you SDers?

crazymaddrunk
07-22-2003, 06:27 PM
Shaolin-do, you are a disgrace to SD, and your parents as well, probably

joedoe
07-22-2003, 06:41 PM
LOL. Fight, fight, fight, fight ... :D

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 07:26 PM

Evad
07-22-2003, 08:01 PM
there is a 10th one step, they quit teaching it because a few ppl got hurt goofing off during practice. They could've replaced it with something else I guess, but it just sorta got stuck the way it is taught today.

crazymaddrunk
07-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Got hurt for goofing off? Sounds like they deserved it. OK, since it is true, does anyone know it?

It bothers me that a good martial art like SD stops teaching a technique because of some morons in class. I now study Kyokushinkai and Hung Gar and still use the sparring techniques and one-steps during full-contact sparring (to a successful degree, also).

On another note (once again let's not get into a flaming war), my Hung Gar sifu has seen some of SD's forms in mainland China years ago, and has even explained some of the fighting techniques from the forms I showed him, some I would never have thought of. Pretty cool, huh?

TjD
07-22-2003, 08:34 PM
did you practice shaolin-do in new york, or did you stop after moving here? where in NY are you?

crazymaddrunk
07-22-2003, 08:36 PM
No, I learned SD in Kentucky. I don't think there are any schools up here.

I'm in the City.

Evad
07-22-2003, 08:45 PM
yes I know the 10th one step

And yes **** morons do keep a lot of good things from happening. Just look around on a few of these threads and you'll see troves of em.....

crazymaddrunk
07-22-2003, 08:51 PM
Evad- You must have been with SD a while then. Hats off to you. I guess I can't ask what the 10th one is, prolly one of those "secrets" that die out with the masters, huh?

Anyone that knows it want to PM me with it? Give me a hint? Quench my thirst? Or do I have to steal the secret manual of techniques someday?

Evad
07-22-2003, 08:57 PM
no big secret, i'll pm you what it was if I can manage to describe it where it will make sense.

and yes I have been in SD for awhile and I'm interested in what you said about your current hung gar teacher seeing some of our forms in mainland china? I'd really be interested in hearing your teachers take on some of our material. How far did you get in SD and how long have you been with your current teacher? What part of KY are you from? Were you in Sin's or Hsiang's camp? Did you learn our hung gar material before studying under your current teacher...?

crazymaddrunk
07-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Looking forward to hearing the 10th technique. I will respond with all your questions soon (check your PM box).

themeecer
07-22-2003, 11:21 PM
I also know the 10th. It hasn't been removed for that long, in the last 15 years or shorter. If Evad doesn't get that PM to you, I can help you out sometime. He and I may have variations on it. It is one of my favorites.

You were from Ky? What part?

Judge Pen
07-27-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Evad
no big secret, i'll pm you what it was if I can manage to describe it where it will make sense.

and yes I have been in SD for awhile and I'm interested in what you said about your current hung gar teacher seeing some of our forms in mainland china? I'd really be interested in hearing your teachers take on some of our material. How far did you get in SD and how long have you been with your current teacher? What part of KY are you from? Were you in Sin's or Hsiang's camp? Did you learn our hung gar material before studying under your current teacher...?

CMD,

Good to have you on the forum. There are several applications in basic forms which are more dangerous than the 10th step. I think they should teach the step again, (it's a nice throw) but for whatever reason they don't.

I am also very interested in heating about your teacher's comments. If you don't want to post them here (there are trolls you know) then PM them to me when you PM them to Evad. Or give Evad permission to PM them to me.

Many thanks,

JP