PDA

View Full Version : Gaurd up?

Kymus
07-22-2003, 08:48 PM
I was always trained to keep my guard up, no matter how tired I am, or how close i am to passing out. I've seen a lot of people lacking in this department. A buddy of mine is a brown belt in Tang Soo Do, and when I was teaching him Muay Thai, he kept dropping his guard each time. Another thing I noticed is that in a lot of pics of Cung Le (like the one of him in the banners above), he'll drop his guard during a kick. I think it's a real shame that more systems, or teachers really, don't pound into their students head to keep their guard up. When I hold the pads, and someone drops their guard, I punch at them, because well, that's what's going to really happen! Is it just mostly the mc-dojo/jang/kwoon/school's that don't teach this significantly? Also, what's up with Savate? I've seen some pics where it looks like they purposely keep their gaurd down (I doubt I can find the pic, but I assume it was of Salem Assli (I think that's his name)).

Shaolin-Do
07-22-2003, 09:16 PM
"When I hold the pads, and someone drops their guard, I punch at them,"
Yup. Leaves their entire front side open... Just abuse people while you spar when they do that(take advantage enough times for them to know why). Kick them in the stomach. :)

fa_jing
07-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Personally, I have alot more success when I can keep both hands up. But some people are able to get by with dropping their lead hand. Especially if they are more of a slipping-defense type fighter. The advantage of the low lead hand is that your punches can originate outside of the other guy's line of sight. Dropping both hands is a big no-no.

norther practitioner
07-22-2003, 10:02 PM
I try to keep the front hand higher, but both "up" so to speak... I do notice that a lot of people drop there hands.. but the prob. is exploiting it when your energy is low...

truewrestler
07-23-2003, 06:27 AM
There are many boxers and kickboxers that are good enough to not need to keep there guard up at all times. However, I guarantee that is not how they started out.

MasterKiller
07-23-2003, 06:40 AM
There are many boxers and kickboxers that are good enough to not need to keep there guard up at all times. I agree. Some people are fast enough that they can drop their hands, almost as a feint to get you to come in, and then recover before you have time to react.

I'm not one of those guys, but Roy Jones Jr. does it very well.

yenhoi
07-23-2003, 12:25 PM
I fight with a low lead hand.

So do lots of people.

Your guard is really the last line of defense. Move your feet.

:eek:

fa_jing
07-23-2003, 12:35 PM
The advantage of the lead hand held up, is that it is a barrier between you and your opponent. They have to clear it before they can get close to you. When they try to clear it, you fire the rear hand. In that sense it creates an opening.

No_Know
07-23-2003, 12:48 PM
Lead hand up sounds like a way of intercepting. :-) :~>Just KidDing.~

fa_jing
07-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Right, this concept is in Wing Chun too - for instance with the long pole, knives etc. the on -guard concept is the same, with the weapon on the centerline. If we fought with Samurai swords we would be the guy with the sword pointing forward towards the opponent, not the guy with holding the sword straight up and the grip near the head like one of those chopper baseball swings.

Christopher M
07-23-2003, 02:15 PM
Dunno how this fits into your observations, really; but might be interesting all the same...

Perhaps one of the differences instituted by emphasizing ring-fighting (and similar things) is in how range changes during the encounter; which, in other formats, could mean that how it is that you come to raise your guard (rather than having a raised guard) becomes crucially important. If all this is true; it might have some impacts on how people train; or how the react to different environments that change this variable.

Ray Pina
07-24-2003, 06:37 AM
Both hands up also offers a target. Those forearms develop nice little bull's eyes.

I personally keep the lead hand down. I can intercept blows from punching them underneath, and it seems to bother the hell out of the other kicker when I punch their inner thigh.

It's really a matter of choice. But their are times when my arms drop but they still maintain their lead, back hand relationship, just down at my waist.

truewrestler
07-24-2003, 07:58 AM
I personally keep the lead hand down. I can intercept blows from punching them underneath, and it seems to bother the hell out of the other kicker when I punch their inner thigh. :rolleyes:

I like seeing fighters get kicked in the face when their hands are down. Do you think you could tell the difference between a leg kick and a high kick fast enough to react in such a way as you described?

Ray Pina
07-24-2003, 08:57 AM
I like the rolly eyes. I couldn't be more happy than for you to kick my head. You go to kick my head I guarantee I put you on your a$$!!!!

My left hand is my back hand, it's up. You use a stupid high round house I step in and wedge you dumping you right on your butt. I recent;y got kcked out of a TKD tournament fot this, and when I had him hopping for that one second I didn't even smash his back leg.

You use the right leg I punch your inside and lift the elbow to wedge you doing the same. How easy this is is not even funny, it's a Hsing-I specialty.

Hhhmmmmm, this makes me question your kung fu. When my hand is on your knee (how different is your pick up) or shoudler/bicep, I can easily read the trajectory of your blow ... it's simply a matter of adjusting your elbow VERY SLIGHTLY, I may add.

This is a Hsing-I specialty. Roll your eyes if you like, but, like myself on the ground, perhaps leave a little space to learn something.

I apologize for the tone. I've been trying to avoid mouth boxing here but am running out to surf and when I see people diss something so basic it gets my goat!!! Especially since there's no way to credit or discredit over the net. No matter how many guys I dump on their a$$ there's a wrestler out there who :rolleyes: at me. What can ya do?

Keep the high kicks coming!!!! That, or shoot!!! Please, do anything so gready where you think you can just get me so easily. Open with a high kick. Dive for my legs. What are my two arms for? Taking pictures?

Ray Pina
07-24-2003, 09:05 AM
PS

Who's reacting off of you?

I'm comming to beat you. You want to pick up your leg at that moment and hit my head ... Where is your foot in relation to my hand?

Also, why use your foot for speed. That's mis-using a bazooka. Hands are for speed kicks are for kill.

truewrestler
07-24-2003, 09:13 AM
I can intercept blows from punching them underneath, and it seems to bother the hell out of the other kicker when I punch their inner thigh. EvolutionFist, I meant no (not much) disrespect. If you could post a video of what you are describing I would appreciate it.

I see professional fighters kicked in the face all the time when they expect a low kick. There is a Kyoshkin (spelling wrong I'm sure) fighter in K-1 who kicks in such a way the his upper leg (thigh and knee) are nearly in the same position for a low kick and high kick and catches people all the time by faking one and going for the other.

If you could post a video of what you are describing I would appreciate it.

truewrestler
07-24-2003, 09:16 AM
Hands are for speed kicks are for kill. You obviously haven't seen Pete Spratt fight... he kicks faster than most people punch. I'll see if I can find a video....

yenhoi
07-24-2003, 12:03 PM
Hands like legs arms like feet.

Or something like that.

Thumbs up to EF's mention of sensitivity... once you have a bridge on someone, unless they are that much better then you, you can feel everything they are doing... or about to do.

;)

Ray Pina
07-24-2003, 12:57 PM
No sweat. First and foremost I don't get offended by anything up in here.

Think what you think, and I'll think what I think. What I described is not that difficult. To keep it basic, form a triangle infront of yourself, fist right below your knose. THIS IS THE STRONGEST SHAPE! When you kick high and outside I raise the traingle and feed the blade of one of the corners into you as I drive in with my entire being. This is basic and nice. Actually it's an upper cut with the elbow getting you inside but that takes practice and timing.

Side kicks. That low lead hand. When I se you pivot I step back and beat your leg so easily -- your toes our facing out, not up to hit my arm.

The only kick I fear is the front kick! That's what that low lead is for. To strike, scoop, or do a few other things with.

As fro filming, I don't have a camera and if I did I wouldn't a) waste the time or b) share something with someone who doesn't believe it from the start. I consider this my treasure. You scoff, it goes right back in the chest. No sweat. It's my treasure. I don't care what others think.

As for K-1, Pride and other "top" fighters. I respect them. Got too. But noone's legs are faster than my hands. No way. In the worst position (when I'm dogging it with hands down), I'm alreadyt half way to your throat already! You want to race with your foot? That's your business.

Also, you put two numbsculls in a ring for cash and one man wins ... someone's getting their ass kicked! Doesn't mean it's superior technique. Think that's obvious froma lot of the trash video posted up here. I haven't seen anything yet that made me say, "Whoa! That's some good stuff." Maybe that post of the leg-lock around the neck the otherday. Like I said, the ground rolling is new and exciting for me. But actually, I hate it. I don't like the mindset. I've ben playing with BJJ guys (from Gracies NYC school) and I haven't been taken down yet. Granted they are not black belts, only purple, but they shot with what they got.

I know this begs the question: Well why aren't you in the UFC... I'm working on it. If you know someone who can make that happen please PM me. I honestly feel I'll be ready in one year but if the opportunity came up I'd regrest not jumping on it. A loss is a loss. Wounds heal but knowledge is gained.

Anyway, best to you and your training. Once again I'm going to avoid these types of posts. I thought my remark was simple and honest enough and I always feel like a fool getting dragged into this type of nonsense. Martial artist should only discuss technique one way. This sort of stuff just ****es off my master and then he slaps me around to shut my low-level a$$ up.

rogue
07-24-2003, 05:06 PM
Hands up? Depends on the rules, the distance, if the opponent is a grappler, a kicker. a puncher. Seen many boxers use a low guard from the first bell. For me I prefer a high midlevel guard.

fa_jing
07-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Evo: R U only 1 year away from entering a high-level comp conditioning wise? Better jump some rope, bro. Kettlebells are great, too.

truewrestler
07-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Well why aren't you in the UFC... I'm working on it. If you know someone who can make that happen please PM me. I honestly feel I'll be ready in one year but if the opportunity came up I'd regrest not jumping on it. A loss is a loss. Wounds heal but knowledge is gained. You can't just jump in the UFC. That's like jumping into the NBA. Check out the Underground Forum at MMA.tv if you haven't already and ask around for info on amateur or smaller pro shows. The UFC President, Dana White, and virtually all other show promoters frequent the UnderGround. There are often promoters from smaller shows asking for fighters, usually on short notice (like a week or two before the fight because of a drop out) but sometimes well in advance. Amateur shows are announce also....ask around.

rogue
07-24-2003, 08:30 PM
I'm training for the UFC, Pride or K-1 myself. Got me some BJJ tapes, a heavy bag and 130 pounds of weights. I figure I'll be ready in a year, 2 or 3 on the outside. That is as long as I don't get injured in training or fighting ninjas.