PDA

View Full Version : Self Defense / Firearm link...

yenhoi
07-23-2003, 07:09 PM
http://www.dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=95

Enjoy.

:eek:

TonyM.
07-24-2003, 08:38 AM
I think knives should be illegal. After all, you can buy your food prepared in the supermarket so you really don't need them. Also with the current elevator technology there's really no purpose for stairs anymore. I think everyone that's ever fallen down a flight of stairs should sue the designer and the builder. They should be outlawed. How about getting the homeless and unemployed to pick up and dispose of (with the proper permits of course) all those potentially hazardous stones laying about.

tnwingtsun
07-24-2003, 09:02 AM
Enjoyed

Shaolin-Do
07-24-2003, 10:36 AM
"fallen down a flight of stairs should sue the designer and the builder. "

Or the owner of the stairs.... Here in america sh!t like that isnt really unbelievable...

StickyHands
07-24-2003, 10:49 AM
Same sort of 'psychological analysis' could be written from anti-gun perspective. It's all theoretical people, basically that's what psychology is, however, sometimes dauntingly accurate, but nonetheless, the dude just simply expressed his opinion, despite his degrees in psychology. No doubt he owns a gun or two.

Example would be: A man feels insecure about himself and that he needs gun to feel some sort of authority, hence a projection is rendered as to why own a gun. Or simply conformity of power, I have the freedom to do so.

It's all relative and whitewash, just as why do drugs and not do drugs.

Shaolin-Do
07-24-2003, 11:05 AM
"You don't need to have a gun; the police will protect you."
"I'm a pacifist. Enlightened, spiritually aware people shouldn't own guns."
"I'd rather be raped than have some redneck militia type try to rescue me."
"How often have you heard these statements from misguided advocates of victim disarmament, or even woefully uninformed relatives and neighbors?"

How many times have you seen these arguments on the gun thread here?

"If people carry guns, there will be murders over parking spaces and neighborhood basketball games."

Yeah... Actually sh!t like that DOES happen.... Dude randomly shot and killed 2 women yesterday here... In an office...

"Why do they get so furiously angry when gun owners point out that their arguments are factually and logically incorrect?"

Point out one of the arguments that is factually and logically incorrect. Random shootings do not occur? Wanna be gang bangers dont pull straps all the time to make themselves FEEL strong?

"Once you understand why these people behave so irrationally, you can communicate more effectively with them. "

Yes... It was definately not a gun owner who shot and killed those 2 women yesterday. Rational gun owning behavior at its best.

"insisted that people have no right to carry firearms because he didn't want to be murdered if one of his neighbors had a "bad day".

Basically people should have the right to do anything they want, barring any type of activity that will cause any sort of harm to another. Like shooting them. Its not the fact that people carry guns, its the fact that the law is abused.

"What he was really saying was that if he had a gun, he might murder his neighbors if he had a bad day, or if they took his parking space, or played their stereos too loud. This is an example of what mental health professionals call projection "

This is also what proffesionals call manipulative propoganda.

"Defense mechanisms are unconscious psychological mechanisms that protect us from feelings that we cannot consciously accept."

lofl... So I guess I am completely un-self aware.

"This is especially true now that education "experts" commonly prohibit children from expressing negative emotions or aggression. "

Key word here that is missing, is VIOLENTLY. Put it in front of the word expressing and the statement becomes fact.

"and that firearm ownership is the most effective way to protect yourself and your family."

...Every seven-and-a-half hours a child or teen was killed in a firearm-related accident or suicide in 2000.
On average, 4 to 5 children died every day in non-homicide firearm incidents from 1995-2000.
In 2001, there were 14,571 kids injured by a firearm -- and an additional 13,572 kids were injured from BB or pellet guns.
The overall firearm-related death rate among U.S. children aged less than 15 years was nearly 12 times higher than among children in 25 other industrialized countries combined.
40% of American households with children have guns
Among homes with children and firearms, 40% had at least one unlocked firearm and 13% kept their unlocked firearm loaded or stored with ammunition.

Im done arguing with this ignorant drabble. I have work to do.

Radhnoti
07-24-2003, 02:25 PM
In the year 2000 (according to the National Safety Council, Injury Facts, 2001 Edition), 600 people in the U.S. were killed by unintentional injuries with a firearm. This includes all age categories. By way of comparison the NSC lists 43,000 dying in auto accidents...16,200 by falls...3,900 by drowning...3,600 by fire...3,400 by suffocation by ingested object.
The "child or teen" your statistics indicate have been shown to include gang-members and 19 year olds career criminals.

Fatal gun accidents involving children (aged 0-14) also fell significantly, from 495 in 1975, to under 250 in 1995. More children die from accidental drownings or burns than from gun accidents. (source, again National Safety Council).

Fatal gun accidents declined by almost sixty percent from 1975 to 1995, even though the number of guns per capita increased by almost forty percent. (source, NSC and Bureau of Alchohol, Tobacco and Firearms)

I consider the NSC and the BATF credible sources...more people die under the heading "Pedestrian" (5,300) than "Firearms".

Can't we keep this in one thread? :)

StickyHands
07-26-2003, 06:45 PM
One word - Columbine. One of the kids took two of his dad's rifles and one hand gun. Well... go guns. Free country, yay, I think we also need to make a psychological thesis why it's our right smoke marijuana. DAM.MIT, why did they ban that? It's my right, sh1t! I think it's our defense mechanism and unable to control the ego, so if we see someone smoke marijuana, we might get tempted to smoke, and then country will fall back to free love, lol. DA.MN, I WANT MY WEED!

MonkeyKing
07-26-2003, 10:48 PM
questions.

Are the parents of the columbine or any gun tragedy involving youth at all responsible for the access said youth has to their firearms?

If the columbine shooters did not have access to the guns in daddy's house, i.e. daddy didn't own guns, would they have said, "ah shucks, we can't follow through on our need for a national tragedy today. let's just kill ourselves by jumping off a high building and spare those *******s at school that we hate." Hypothetically, what would they have done if daddy didn't have guns readily available? Maybe they should have taken up archery instead...

If some people wig out enough to want to kill someone, they don't necessarily need guns to pull it off. A portable air compressor and a nail gun work great, not to mention, a cutting torch and a gallon of gasoline. Hell cars are great deadly weapons.

StickyHands
07-26-2003, 10:53 PM
yes well too bad those "smart kids" dont think about air compressor or nail guns to use? they rather go for what's easy and available. again it's relative. i dont really care if people own guns or not. but it really humors me when people writes psychological thesis about why guns are okay, lol, and marijuana is not.

MonkeyKing
07-26-2003, 11:26 PM
lol, no kidding, maybe if they gave those guys some herb, they'd chill out awhile and not really feel like messin with those **** firearms.

StickyHands
07-26-2003, 11:51 PM
yup, wouldnt you? now that's an enticing idea.... and plus some ecstasy.. hehe.. :D

Shaolin-Do
07-27-2003, 03:13 PM
Actually...
Ecstacy changes your brain chemistry, and in manic depressives, schitzophrenics(sp?) and other mentally unstable persons, it gives a very large chance of turning the crank in the brain a bit too much, and can cause people to go insane. When one has an improper chemical inbalance, and you chance that balance even more, bad things can happen. Not saying thats always the case, but its a definate possibility.
:eek:

StickyHands
07-27-2003, 03:29 PM
take a right amount of dosage and then not get addicted, ur fine, it's a lot like maintaining how much u get drunk of ur ass, just dont destroy the liver, and ur fine.

Laughing Cow
07-27-2003, 04:34 PM
Interesting article and, IMHO, very skewed to show one side only.

It does not take into account people that know guns and simply choose not to have one.

Example:
Myself I used to carry a gun and I grew up in a family where guns were common(hunters).

We had handguns(Pistols/Revolvers) hanging on the staircase going upstairs in one of the houses, easily accesible.

So why do I choose not to carry anymore, IMO & IME, guns are only of limited use for SD purpose.

Plus, I noticed that when I carried a gun my behaviour tended to change a bit and I didn't like that.

Am I am victim because of this?? Or simply a mature adult that made an informed decision?

Cheers.