PDA

View Full Version : Power Training

churn-ging
07-24-2003, 10:59 PM
I was wondering do any of you practice any supplement exercise to develop power in your Wing Chun? I asked my Sifu and he told me that if I wanted to develop power, then I should just work on the dummy and hit the wall bag. Do any of you do other things besides this?

Whiplash
07-24-2003, 11:50 PM
I'm friends with one of the gym trainers for some of NZ's top K1 (kickboxing) fighters, so he's taken me through some of what they do as far as fitness go.

Quite a bit of plyometrics (sp) and a lot of work on strengthening my core with ab work etc.

I mix this up with weights, but i've stopped doing the heavy weights as my goal has changed (due to WC).

A reasonably good look at working out with WC in mind is found here -
http://www.wingchunkuen.com/why/columns/parriski/index.html

jesper
07-25-2003, 03:02 AM
Your sifus advice are good, but you must work on all your forms.

If you want to be a good fighter you must also not neglect to do a lot of conditioning and stamina training. To many times have I seen good technicians go down because they are not used to the pain of getting hurt full power, or loosing sparrings because of lack of wind. To bad, but in the real world they wont give you a second chance, or stop for "time out"

Ernie
07-25-2003, 07:18 AM
the dragon pole will give you power
time and experience will teach how and when to release power
with out knowing when and were to apply power , all the power in the world is a waste that leads into over commited actions.

personal development on the other hand is paramount , you may never get into a fight and need wing chun but you must use your body every day , the better the body , the better all the body does.

hit the gym , work all ranges of motion , [ don't get lost on trying to only do sport specific exercises ] this does not build harmony

plyo's are great for explosiveness
cardio is a must you need wind , and endurance

core training [ waist line and stablizers ] will translate directly into your wing chun .

but remember this , the mind and approach to building muscle is not the same as a fighters approach to preparing the body.
body builders work the muscle until failure , this trains the mind and muscle connection to go all out and then drop.

this is not the ideal signal for combative situations , were you need to switch on and off the muscle between explosiveness and relaxation .

that's why you need plyo's and your [ wing chun conditioning ] to keep the signals crisp

there is also a way of approaching wieght training to actually improve your '' fireing system ''
but that's for another time