PDA

View Full Version : Ip chui mantis question

askinghands
07-25-2003, 12:46 PM
I've been reading this article from someone named F.Blanco about Southern praying mantis.
It says that Lau Soei only taught 4 forms.
One of his students, Ip Chui has much more forms.
Did he add forms from other styles or did he break down some of his teachers forms in smaller forms?? Are his teachers forms still the same or have they been changed but still with the same name (for instance fut sao)??
What are the core forms of Ip Chui's style?

I'm not a mantis practioner. I'm just interested.

Thanks in advance.

WanderingMonk
07-26-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by askinghands
I've been reading this article from someone named F.Blanco about Southern praying mantis.
It says that Lau Soei only taught 4 forms.
One of his students, Ip Chui has much more forms.
Did he add forms from other styles or did he break down some of his teachers forms in smaller forms?? Are his teachers forms still the same or have they been changed but still with the same name (for instance fut sao)??
What are the core forms of Ip Chui's style?

I'm not a mantis practioner. I'm just interested.

Thanks in advance.

I saw this same post on rec.martial-arts. If you want to really get this question answer, you should go southern mantis forum to ask your question.

http://tonglongforums.cjb.net/

wm

Andrew
07-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Ip Shui, did modify the forms. Breaking up alot of stuff, probably too allow for it too be digested easier. Fut Sau is still there as is Sam bo gin. The next 2nd and 3rd forms where originally one form. Some of Ip Shui's earlier students will tell you that they 2nd and 3rd forms where for them one form.

Andrew

5thBrother
07-26-2003, 10:02 PM
Hi.

can anybody give a COMPLETE list of ALL form of ip shui chow gar tong long please?

thanks

5thBro

askinghands
07-27-2003, 12:44 AM
Wandering Monk,
Thanks for the link.

5thBrother,

Here's the link to the article. I don't know if the list is complete but you can find a lot of information here about southern mantis and the forms of the different southern mantis styles.
http://cclib.nsu.ru/projects/satbi/satbi-e/martart/wushu/sm.html

Thanks for the answers guys.

David
07-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Here's a list put up by Sifu Tony Willis a couple of years ago. I culled it from his discussion board (now defunct).

Saam Bo Jin, 3 step arrow
Saam Jin Yui Kui, Arrows & shake the bridge
Saam Gung Pai Tan, 3 step bow slicing bridge
Saam Gung Pin Kui, 3 step levelhand
Yum Yearn Kum La Sau, Opposite forces form
Sup Wun Sau, 10 advanced hands
Searn Touw Sau, Double rabbit punching
Law Suen Sau, Propeller hands
Fut Sau, Buddhist hands
Sarm Sup Look Lin Jer See, 36 section fighting form
Say Bun Gen Sau, four power hands
Tow ma Sau, vapour breath hands
Sup Baat Yau Loong, Swimming dragons
Cow Da Sau, Always hitting hands
Da Deng Sau Banging on drum
Loi deng choi, outer nailing punch
Daai Sui Lin Wun Sau, Big and small circular hands
Num Gen Sau, hidden power hands
Yee Kup Saam Bo Jin, 2nd level 3 arrows
Say Mun Sau, four gate hands
Nip Kui,catching hands
Tid Ngau Gung, iron cow power
Bic Sarn picking up the mountain
Mo Yin Sau, hands with no shadows
Poc Yeurng Palming form
Chor Kui, cutting across thebridge
Foong Loong Keok & Poon Loong Keok, twisting dragon leg and footwork & flying Dragon kick floor skills
Saam Kup Saam Bo Jin, 3rd 3 arrows
Gen Tung Gen Sau, shock power form
Gau see Mun Sau, nine top hands
Bo Sim Sau, searching insect hands
Doong Wa Lin Wun Sau, Over and circular hands

Not listed there are sup bat um gen sau (18 dark internal power hands), 8-section fighting form and 18-hand fighting form. No weapons forms are listed there so that's extra. The list of forms does not include the associated drills and power development exercises that must be trained. So, what's core? I have no idea. No-form? All these trainings impress and express mantism.

I understand GM Ip Shui made the banging drum form, and Sifu Paul Whitrod made always hitting hands. As well as forms being split, they are commonly joined up end to end when actually training. I've heard that many of the forms were made more linear so as to fit better into confined training areas. I've certainly noticed that, when presented with a large space, the forms tend to naturally open out into larger or more off the straight path movement.

Most forms differ in just a few strikes only which makes it easy to mix n match to suit.

g'night,
David

Andrew
07-27-2003, 06:13 PM
Saam Gung Pai Tan and Saam Gung Pai Tan were the two forms that I was thinking off. Also for some people Fut Sau was taught first.

Andrew

5thBrother
07-28-2003, 07:00 AM
Thanks you very much for the listing :)

5th bro