PDA

View Full Version : New Website

Longlocks
07-26-2003, 04:16 AM
Following the grilling (!!!) from various parties after Bungle's "What do you think of this School?" posting; I'd like some constructive criticism on the new website layout that I've just uploaded.

Cheers

http://www.chunsehdau.co.uk

MasterKiller
07-28-2003, 09:33 AM
You added a disclaimer and some flash buttons. Otherwise, same ol content.

Shaolinlueb
07-28-2003, 12:04 PM
wasn't there a discussion on this site in some other thread?

norther practitioner
07-28-2003, 12:48 PM
Thats not what I know of a butterfly kick.... anyway, the site design is ok I guess, same old stuff though...

Longlocks
07-29-2003, 01:06 AM
Yes MK, content the same, but the site's now all frame based so the menu is always there rather than some drop down on the end of each page.
Yup, the thread was the one I mentioned, which Shaolinlueb finished off by saying "no, what about this school?" and posted a link to some Shaolin Karate site.

But I posted this because I was hoping for some helpful feedback on coding and whether or not the site was easier to get round.
Some useful comments like "change the fonts", try visiting this site for Javascript tips", "here's some code to embed a media player into a page to play video rather than using the still player thing".

You know, helpful stuff!! Or like I asked for in the initial post "constructive criticism" on the layout/functionallity/asthetics.
Maybe I should have been more specific in the original post!!

Only been playing with webstuff in my spare time (which I don't get a lot of) for about six months and thought there might be some Web Techies amongst all the forum members.

MasterKiller
07-29-2003, 06:31 AM
Ah, I see! I thought you were asking about the content. Actually, I work as a web techie, and there are a few others in the main forum as well.

The first thing I would do is either get rid of the frames, or set up the site to be viewed at at least 800X600 without having to scroll with the frames. I really, really hate scrolling frames. If you are using the frames in order to preserve the menus, you can fake it by just having the menus on every page, in the same spot. Since the buttons download the first time you look at the page, they won't have to download again when you change pages, and it maintains the same appearance as having a stuck navigation menu.

The other thing to consider because you have so many pages is a drop-down menu instead of navigation buttons. Download an evaluation copy of Macromedia Fireworks MX and play around with it. You can make some pretty nice menus in a relatively short amount of time,

That's my 2 cents.

Longlocks
07-29-2003, 08:07 AM
Cheers Dude!!
:) :) :)
That's exactly the sort of info I was after. I'll get Fireworks, "play" and try some different page layouts!!
:) :)

CaptinPickAxe
08-14-2003, 07:10 PM
the butterfly kick looks like something a cheerleader would do as opposed to a martial artist.

ninja
08-15-2003, 01:02 PM
This must be a traditional school because the sensei was wearing a black gi.

Longlocks
08-17-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by ninja
This must be a traditional school because the sensei was wearing a black gi.

So by that logic if we all trained in Man United strip we'd be playing for them!

Wonder if we'd get the pay packet aswell!

Some of the Students do get proper robes but we only use them for displays, "proper" Kung fu and Shaolin robes are way too expensive for some of the students to afford and way too expensive to train in. I'd go to the same school if they all trained in shorts and a tee-shirt. Not go to some school where they all look lovely in their silky suits but learning little or worse, learning nothing!!!

Lohan Fury
08-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Longlocks, I have some questions for you.

First off, Matt Townsend, why is his back always bent in the one legged stances? And Sam Green, how does he use a staff for the Fatal Flute form? Last I checked, Fatal Flute was a Wah Lum form... Is this the same one?

Also, why so much different material? If you're going to have Sport Karate and all this other stuff then please do the Shaolin community a favor and quit wearing the robes.

When I look at your site I'm not at all convinced that what I see is traditional. I would suggest you put some info on your material (not just giving names etc.). Shaolin Kung Fu has a LOT of history, so there should be no problem in putting in a story about a form you teach, like how it was created.

Also, you do you, your school, it's instructors, and your grandmaster NO favors by taking up arguments every time somebody has a comment you deem negative. Keep that in mind...

I ask all my questions in hopes that you may provide intelligent and constructive answers. Here is your chance to clear the air! Sorry if at any point I sound negative toward you or your school. I mean no harm.

ninja
08-18-2003, 07:16 AM
Well I'm a master from Shaolin Temple. What's the big deal? There's a certification program. It's easy now. Not like the 70's. Sensei must have gone through much hardship. Was the guy in the black gi in the the 1984 shaolin video? I think I saw him.

Longlocks
08-18-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Lohan Fury

When I look at your site I'm not at all convinced that what I see is traditional. I would suggest you put some info on your material (not just giving names etc.). Shaolin Kung Fu has a LOT of history, so there should be no problem in putting in a story about a form you teach, like how it was created.

First off, When the site first went on line there were lots of negative comments from various quarters, much of which there shouldn't be any need to answer. We are still taught that there is no need to explain everything, like in the old days wen prospective students would have to keep knocking on the temple doors, that when they did get in they just got to clean the toilets etc for some time. Not that we actually do make people clean the toilets but the school is non commercial and we do refuse membership to some people. The website is there as the Master wanted a website, so I created it how the Master wanted it.

Having said that, I will answer as best I can some of your questions, I don't question the Master or Sifu about alot of things that I deem unimportant, If you could visit the school you would understand why.

First off, Matt Townsend, why is his back always bent in the one legged stances? And Sam Green, how does he use a staff for the Fatal Flute form? Last I checked, Fatal Flute was a Wah Lum form... Is this the same one?

The stances pictures of Sifu Matthew are of him in a stance I've seen him do many times during sparring/freestyle (what ever you want to call it) as far as I am aware it's monkey, I've never been informed what the exact style is or felt the need to ask but it is quite effective! He also does a very good drunken and sometimes mixes the two up during sparring to great effect. I don't know about Fatal Flute, the origins or what the exact style is, but we have been taught it it is a staff form that can be done with anything that resembles a staff/stick, long/short and this is on the understanding that the form came from the times when weapons were banned for the peasents, hence the use of an instrument as a weapon, hence fatal flute. If it helps it about 50 moves if you try to break it down.

Also, why so much different material? If you're going to have Sport Karate and all this other stuff then please do the Shaolin community a favor and quit wearing the robes.

Why don't you just call Master Sensei (hey Ninja!) and get it over with!! It's like saying we train in a Dojo, like suggesting the we train in sport Karate on Sundays ;) , it's not Karate it's Chinese boxing to fit to the rules of sport tournament fighting, Ok so we fight against Karate people at the tournaments but there are also lots of other styles there aswell and we go to and referee at the GBMAA tournaments because there are run better and are less biased (and bloody!) than many other tournaments that are supposed to be light or semi-contact. No, we aren't a bunch of wusses but it's pretty hard to train if you do get hurt as we have found at other badly and dishonourably run tournaments! The sunday class is run as a separate entity there are some students who train at all the classes but we do have those who just do one or the other.

;)

Sorry if any of that seems a bit uptight but as I tried to explain, I am not a stupid person and also consider myself to be a reasonable judge of character and I really believe that there is no BS at the School. I have started being taught to teach for about 6 months now, even if all goes well for me in the next 18months, it will have taken me longer to get from brown to black belt than alot of clubs believe you can go from nothing to black belt (it took me four years to get to brown belt although I do work overseas from time to time), and I train twice a week at the school (when in the UK), in my own time as much as possible and go to the Sunday class (which doesn't really relate that much to the Kung Fu, but is great for extra stamina and strength).

On your last point, you are right I shouldn't get so annoyed but at the end of the day I'm human and do get annoyed!! But I will strive to keep a lid on it more often and not start arguements!!!!!

Hope this goes someway to answering your questions.
If you are ever in Leicester come and visit.

Lohan Fury
08-18-2003, 07:47 PM
Sometimes it's not the answer given to a question, but how it is answered. If I'm ever in the area I will certainly visit. The only way to judge the skill and quality of a school is to go there and experience it first hand. Good luck with your site!

Wong Ying Home
09-01-2003, 05:03 PM
I recently had the opportunity to watch a demonstration by the, students and instructors of this school.

Firstly I will say they were all very humble, respectfull toward their teacher and well presented. They had nice clean and tidy uniforms and appeared sincere in what they were trying to achieve.

From what I recall they demonstrated a number of forms, Hung Gar, Wing Chun, Eagle Claw, northeren shaolin, Jeet Kune (Jie Chuan) some Tai Chi Chuan I think??? A two man fighting form, Pole, a bit of free sparring and a demonstration of power(Internal??)

My view for what is is worth, they have no understanding of root, foot work/stance work, correct alignment/power generation. At no time was faat ging shown in any move, they lacked intent and focus.

The wing chun was demonstrated by a young lady I believe, I have never seen wing chun performed in this manner and I've seen a lot demonstrated (havn't we all) The got gripping stance would not hold a feather let alone a goat.

the eagle claw form again performed by a young lady..(now this I have some background understanding in) was a blatant move for move copy of Leungs Shum video, again no stancework,no foot work ging etc..all the above. I do not practice Leung Shums version by the way

The Hung Gar form was performed by two gentlemen, a very long set nicley in time I'll give it that. Now if any style should really show power it should be Hung Gar right...Wrong not this version..it floated to the point of balatic dance,they seemd more interested in looking the part in their very accurate and authentic orange shaolin robes.

And the Young Man and young boy doing an imitation monkey climbing pole and scampering around bit was ...well I have no words to describe it.

The internal power demosntration showed nothing of internal power..it was side show circus tosh at best. It consisted of a chap taking his shirt off doing shome theatrical breathing and posturing, slapping himself on the chest a few times and then sitting down, sole of feet together having someone stand on his back as he bowed forward and two girls stand on his kness to press his legs flat.

This showed what I do not know.

As I have said before the students and instructors are all very humble and respectfull to their teacher. They do not have any real kung fu/chinese martial skill. It seems to me to simply poorly learned/taught forms with little or no content/understanding of them.

Now if the intention of the students/instructors was to show forms and demonstrate chinese kung fu very badly to hide some kind of secret known only to them. Then they have achieved this to the highest level by any practioner I have seen to date.

mortal
09-02-2003, 11:57 AM
These people are clearly wasting there time. Some of the worst Kungfu I have ever seen. I could tell as soon as I saw the pictures of there stances. lolo That women has her own disciple. lo. Sorry I coudn't hold it in any longer.