PDA

View Full Version : Balance and stability

KungFuFighting
07-26-2003, 03:23 PM
Well i need some training tips on how to achieve better ballance and stability. On wednesday I had my white belt test, though I got it, my sifu said i need work on my side and back kicks. One of the reasons they were weak was my balance kinda sucks. I've been working on my back kicks but I'm having trouble with side kicks. Especially the pushing motion. I feel like im lose power from all my kicks because my balance isnt perfect. A lot of it i feel it do to my 5 years of weight lifting. The form i do tzu jan kune do which is mde up of northern paraying mantis, springy foot, and shaolin long fist. Just wondering if you all have any tips. Thanks:D

neigung
07-26-2003, 03:27 PM
having trouble with a technique?
practice that technique until you don't have trouble with it.
that's the only advice i can give.

Jook Lum
07-27-2003, 08:29 PM
Hello Kungfufighting!I dont think that weightlifting would cause you to not have good balance unless you trained unevenly(your upper body is to big for your lower body,which i doubt because your body will only allow itself to become a certain amount out of proportion)As far as being able to fully extend your leg out when kicking i think stretching more would improve that.For balance on your kicks try -for the side kick stand sideways next to a wall put both(or one hand) hands against the wall to balance yourself and perform your side kick(slow at first to develop good form and to build balance).Perform each aspect of the kick (if it is lifting the leg,pivoting on the foot and pushing the kick out,however you do it)dont just throw the leg out.Be sure and train both legs evenly and other kicks may be trained in the same manner by holding on to something.The easier it gets move ****her away from the wall when doing it.Also train your horsestance and try standing in a one leg stance for a while to develop better balance on one leg.Good luck, hope this helps.

Jook Lum
07-27-2003, 08:33 PM
Hello again!In the above post it should say ****her away from the wall.I dont know why the stars covered part of the word.

Jook Lum
07-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Did not work again.Oh well.

Laughing Cow
07-27-2003, 08:40 PM
Adding to what was said.

Sounds like you have't found your centre of balance yet. Something fairly common.

How to find it, experiment with the kicks and see where it all clicks together.

Example:
In my style we got a high kick to the left side, retract the leg pivot 180 degress and kick/punch again(lower this time).

Training method we use for this, stand against the wall(facing away) perform 1st kick, pivot and kick when the pivot is finished.
This will keep your leg in and your upper body upright.
Sifu sez that the only method to mastering this move is practice, practice and more practice.

But keep practicing, and watch that upper body & extremities if you lean too far there goes your balance.

Also watch the leg your stadning on, too straight and it won't work either.

Either way all the best.

Cheese Dog
07-27-2003, 10:11 PM
A good exercise for balance we do are pyramid kicks.
Do 1 front leg roundhouse kick to a heavy bag or focus mitt, set your foot down.
Do 2 front leg roundhouse kicks before setting your foot down.
Then 3 and so on until your last set is 10 roundhouse kicks without setting down.
After you go up to 10 for one leg, pyramid up to 10 with the other.
If you lose your balence in the middle of a set, you start over with that set until you finish it, (that is, if you are doing your set of 7 and your foot touches the ground on the 6th kick, you start over with 7)
Just kick lightly, you're working on balence, not power!

aedolon
07-28-2003, 12:30 AM
Every time I travel on a streetcar, I stand without holding on to anything. I started with my feet about 24 inches apart from each other, after six months now the distance is halved. Sounds crazy, but works. :D

KungFuFighting
07-28-2003, 07:30 AM
thanks everyone i appreciate the help

yenhoi
07-29-2003, 10:38 AM
_look_ where you are kicking. Point your eyes at your target.

If you feel off balance at any point, stop and gain your balance and go again.

Jump rope.

Walk balance beams, curbs.

Run up stairs.

Run back down them.

Lots of Forms.

Stance training.

Stand on one leg as often as possible.

:eek: