PDA

View Full Version : Congrats!!!!

Suntzu
07-28-2003, 06:55 AM
... to Jon... our own (every now and than poster) Shifu Binks for his victories at this past weekends Kuoshu...not actual pic from the event...

Chang Style Novice
07-28-2003, 06:57 AM
SWEET!

ShifuBinks
07-28-2003, 07:00 AM
The cameraman told me on the count of 3 to look like a moron...

SaekSan
07-29-2003, 06:49 AM
ShifuBinks:

What weight division were you in?

I was really busy this weekend and totally forgot to look for board people until the banquet :(

The conpetition was great, 105 competitors, nice...

:)

ShifuBinks
07-29-2003, 08:21 AM
I think my weight class was around 168-180 or something like that....It was known as the Heavy "B" weight division...15 guys were in this division....It was a lot of fun...I liked fighting without much equipment on...

Shaolin-Do
07-29-2003, 08:23 AM
Had to wear boxing gloves?

SaekSan
07-29-2003, 09:57 AM
There were quite a few big divisions this year and the smallest had at least 4 in their brackets (120lbs and under and 180lbs to 185lbs). I think yours was the biggest along with the 140lbs to 145lbs.

ShifuBinks
07-29-2003, 10:24 AM
In addition to a helmet/face mask, they have you wear those gloves with the fingers cut out so you can grab and stuff...a lot lighter than boxing gloves....probably a little heavier than UFC gloves....
BTW Rock we have to resume those morning workouts again cause I gotta get ready for Brazil...
SaekSan you might have seen me fight, I fought this Bagua dude in the first round, I heard some people talking about it b/c he was walking around me in circles....

SaekSan
07-29-2003, 10:35 AM
Now I remember, that's what I thought. :)

Hope to see you in Brazil!

Golden Arms
07-29-2003, 11:44 AM
****..that could have been my division if I was out there this year...and if I dropped enough wieght..probably would have ended up in teh 185 div instead though. Congrats man! SaekSan, did you end up seeing Tyler at the Banquet? She won female Lei Tai fighter of the year :)

SaekSan
07-29-2003, 12:15 PM
Yup, I saw Tyler, she was sitting on a table pretty close to ours. Unfortunately I was translating for the Brazilian team and had quite a few of my students on the table and one of the officials and his wife on the table. By the time I realized that she went up for the award I thought "oh, that's the one that GA was talking about", and it was followed by a member of the Brazilian team asking for me to translate a conversation. Sorry for not being able to say hi.

Please congratulate her for me.

BTW, Kimba (my student that broke his arm last year) took 1st. The guy he was fighting on the final match gave up after the first round. It was insane.

Shaolin-Do
07-29-2003, 12:21 PM
Congrats to all of you who fought :)

"they have you wear those gloves with the fingers cut out so you can grab and stuff..."
Kempo gloves?
Cool. I was going to say, it would suck to fight with boxing gloves in a kung fu tourney... very hard to grab people.

Suntzu
07-29-2003, 12:42 PM
BTW Rock we have to resume those morning workouts again cause I gotta get ready for Brazil... whenever you are ready... when is Brazil???now i REALY wish i fought in this thing :( ...

is Kimba the dude with TOO MUCH energy???

ShifuBinks
07-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Brazil is in November...I'm gonna see if they'll let me start teaching private lessons up at the school for $$$ coz that's the only way I'll be able to afford the plane ticket...they pay for all other expenses...You SHOULD have fought you would have loved it...Let's start next tuesday...when is Pitt? Sorry I am not sure what kempo gloves look like but here is a picture of the tournament from a previous year: http://www.tienshanpai.org/usckf/events/gallery/lei-tai-2.shtml

SaekSan
07-29-2003, 01:03 PM
Not the big ones with tips on them. They're about 4oz. fingerless, only cover the knuckles and wrist.

The gloves are really there to protect your hand from the face mask, not to lessen the impact of the blow.

The face mask mostly because after the 1986 World Kuoshu Cup there were too many concussions, broken noses and cuts to the eys and face. The commitee decided that to make the sport more accessible they needed to put some safety gear on. Helmet came first and then the issue of hurting the hand on the helmet was next... thus the gloves.

Keep in mind that prior to 1986 the equipament was only mouthpiece, groin protector and gardening gloves :eek:

;)

norther practitioner
07-29-2003, 01:17 PM
Who is going to Brazil in November.. Binks you going... I know someone going down... He'll be doing taiji and maybe some other stuff.

Golden Arms
07-29-2003, 01:18 PM
Saeksan...WOW..your student fought again after that arm break!?? and got first to top it off! :D Well if you guys are there next year, I hopefully will see you there, instead of just talking about it : )

SaekSan
07-29-2003, 01:22 PM
HAHAHA!!! I guess I could see why one would say he has "too much energy", he said he could've gone a couple of more bouts... he peaked that weekend.

Brazil is supposed to be the weekend of Nov. 8-9 (Sat-Sun), although there's some talk about it being on 8th-10th (Sat-Mon).

Referee training will be from Nov. 3rd to the 7th.

SaekSan
07-29-2003, 01:36 PM
NP - My students and I will only be able to go if we get sponsored. If that happens (that's a HUGE if)we'll take a small forms team (5 or 6) and Kimba.

GoldenArms- To boot our total score got us the 2nd place trophy for Lei Tai.

It'll be great to see you there next year.

norther practitioner
07-29-2003, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I'm going to try to find a sponsor (or sponsors) to get the ticket for who I know who's going... If I can do that, maybe I'll tack on as a personal trainer or something (wishful thinking at best...lol).

Jowbacca
07-30-2003, 09:22 AM
Congrats jon!

Should be hitting up the 5ams tomorrow.
But after getting @$$r@ped by vegas, I gotta get a part time job for a while; so I may not be able to do anything except mornings.
After this weekend, my life as I know it is basically over.

ShifuBinks
07-30-2003, 11:23 AM
Eric how was Vegas? I will see you this weekend at Wong...I am bringing a couple of people there to compete in continuous...here's a pic from the banquet:

Jowbacca
07-30-2003, 11:30 AM
Is that your girl from yer school?
What's up with you and all the honeys? :D
The fact that I'm giving up kung fu and san shou for a part time job should be sufficient in summarizing the worste experience of my life.
Just hope that the money's all I've gotta worry about.