PDA

View Full Version : has ne one been in a knife situation?

diz84
02-23-2001, 02:41 PM
there is all these knife defences and ways of not gettin stabbed or slashed with a knife right?
jus wondering has ne one used these knife defences or been in a situation defending against a knife?

JerryLove
02-23-2001, 05:41 PM
I've been in altercations involving bladed weapons, but not since I started training. I will say that I know many excellent martial artists and great fighters whose knife defense strategies will get them killed against anyone competent or desperate.

Seeker of the Way
02-23-2001, 07:13 PM
I've been slashed once. I'd trained for quite a while then, but it didn't help... I totally froze up. Luckily, he was not much of a hardened criminal and froze in terror when he saw that he had slashed me in the arm. This allowed me to come to my senses, get him on the ground, and run.

Peace,
SotW.

"I know Kung Fu."

oldwolf
02-24-2001, 10:05 PM
Firstly I would like to say that no matter how good you reckon you are, you are most likely to get cut. I've got a few scars on my forearms and hands from blades. The way I train my students is to have sessions where the knife is a jumbo magic marker pen, try it out you'll come out like Josephs dream coat. But it will show you which techniques are 'realistic'. :D

"And the crowd called out for more"

YiLiQuan1
02-25-2001, 06:32 AM
Once, many years ago, I was on my way back home from class when I was accosted by a would be mugger.

He pulled a fairly mediocre folding blade out and demanded my wallet.

I politely told him no, and he went away quietly.

Of course, the fact that I was on my way home after weapons class, and had my broadsword (sharpened I might add) with me may have had some impact on his decision making process...

:)

Matt Stone

MonkeySlap Too
02-25-2001, 08:29 PM
Back in college I had a guy pull a knife on me and demanded my money. I don't know what came over me, but I just said 'give me that' and he gave me his knife. When he realized what he did, I hit him with my backpack full of textbooks and fled.

I still have the knife. What luck, eh?

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

soy
02-26-2001, 07:34 AM
Ahahahah nice monkeyslap :)

Tvebak
02-26-2001, 11:49 AM
I have been in a few situations where there was knifes involved, most of the time i maneged to keep my distance, once i dident and i got stabbed in the leg.
i get ****ed when i see people doing knifedefence that will never work in a real situation, it really sucks.
Even worse with gun defence.

Kyo Sa Nim Moore
02-27-2001, 12:20 AM
Knife Defense #1 - give them the **** money

It isn't worth risking your life for a few bucks, and credit cards you can cancel and get replaced when you get home.

Highlander
02-28-2001, 06:55 PM
Never been in a knife fight or been threatened with a knife, but since he isn't going to mention it, I will. About a year or so ago one of our forum member, who will remain nameless but his initials are JonWayneTaylor, had an encounter against a knife. I won't go into the details, but he was successful by using his belt with a pewter frog buckle to stike the knife and was unharmed. The lesson is, the best defense against a weapon is an equal or greater weapon.

JWT:"Oh no ...... were not going to start up with that again are we?"

Highlander:"Yes ...... yes we are

JWTAYLOR
02-28-2001, 11:05 PM
No, no we are not. ;)
JWT

Mojo
02-28-2001, 11:24 PM
Remember that before you use your belt buckle you've got to dump your drink on the other guy !

soy
03-01-2001, 07:43 AM
Heres a knife defense..

Aggresor withdraws knife

You withdraw desert eagle

You open a hold through his chest

You bow.

Water Dragon
03-02-2001, 03:36 PM
He draws Knife
You give him money
He turns to run
You draw gun
You take HIS money

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

JJMantis
03-04-2001, 07:08 AM
I believe to defend against a knife, you should train how to use it. Sounds easy, right? I tend to carry a balisong (commonly: butterfly knife) with me. I pulled it out once when cornered, and that alone was enough for my would be attacker to turn tail. Just make sure your not afraid to use it, or you might lose it! Oh yeah, and I probably still would have been arrested, so leave quickly.

As for coming back from weapons class... I'm right with ya there. For years I carried a bokken in my car. Not sharpened, not really a weapon, but guarantee I could put it to good use if needed.

JerryLove
03-05-2001, 12:38 AM
If you are going to carry a baseball bat, carry a glove and ball as well.