PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Sifus, Sigungs, Teachers, Instructors...

Shaolin-Do
07-29-2003, 09:10 AM
Why did you start teaching kung fu?
What was it that made you decide you wanted to make the move from student to teacher?
Was it for income? To better yourself? To maintain the ability to perform techniques? Preservation of the art?

Gold Horse Dragon
07-29-2003, 10:50 AM
My Sifu made the decision for me to carry on the art through teaching it (and of course my own personal practice) :D

GHD

HuangKaiVun
07-29-2003, 11:16 AM
For the last 7-8 years, I've wanted to be a kung fu instructor.

I've always liked the idea of running my own business and helping other people realize their potential. I figured that kung fu would be the best way for me to do that.

Though I'm of Chinese ancestry, I'm American all the way in my nationality and thought processes. I'm not a guy that goes for form over function, especially if the form gets in the way of function. That's why I've been slowly changing what I've learned to suit the circumstances in which I and my students live today.

Too many times I've joined schools and paid money only to be turned away by seniors or the teacher themselves because of their shortcomings. Hence I started my own school where the only thing that matters is whether or not a person is getting the most out of his training.

Running a kung fu business is the one thing I do that others can't stop me from doing.

Mr Punch
07-29-2003, 11:20 AM
CONGRATS HKV, that's maybe the FIRST time you've managed to avoid CAPS!:D

Oso
07-29-2003, 11:50 AM
So I could mercilessly pound people into the ground and have them pay me for it, of course. Is there any other reason?

;)

Judge Pen
07-29-2003, 11:51 AM
My sifu has asked me if I wanted to teach my own school, but I really don't think I'm ready. I help him and sub in as needed, but I really don't have the time to make the kind of comitment a good sifu must make to his school. I'm just happy to find the time to train myself. Maybe someday I'll change my mind but right now I content being a student.

Judge Pen
07-29-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Oso
So I could mercilessly pound people into the ground and have them pay me for it, of course. Is there any other reason?

;) \

Ok Oso. You've convinced me. :p

Oso
07-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Was it for income?

LOL

Shaolin-Do
07-29-2003, 12:10 PM
Exactly why I asked :)
Ergh.. Trying to look busy, its hard with the smileys all over the page :)

Who knows, Im sure theres a few "sparky the dog's" out there teaching... :)
Interesting, Thx for the responses.

norther practitioner
07-29-2003, 12:18 PM
, Im sure theres a few "sparky the dog's"

A few?

yenhoi
07-29-2003, 12:20 PM
Teacher asked.

;)

Shaolin-Do
07-29-2003, 12:26 PM
Sorry. Should have said
"A few?"

:)
err...
"A few"
hehehe

Taomonkey
07-29-2003, 02:53 PM
My teacher came to me one night and said, "congradulations on your new rank from GM, by the way we have been asked to perform a demo for the Asian Festival. However its on the weekend that I and all of the senior students, escept you will be sking in Colorado, so If I were you I would find some students start teaching them and do the demo, whick is in 4 months,,have fun"

joedoe
07-29-2003, 03:05 PM
Happened accidentally. One day I just found myself leading the class because I happened to be one of the more senior students there.