PDA

View Full Version : Someone once made the statement:

Losttrak
07-29-2003, 11:02 AM
"...If you cant dance, you cant fight full contact..."

Would you agree with this statement?

Chang Style Novice
07-29-2003, 11:06 AM
Considering how little physical prowess it takes to do some dances, sure, but I can't help but notice it doesn't mean anything close to "if you are a good dancer, you are a good full contact fighter."

What's the point of this quote, anyway?

MasterKiller
07-29-2003, 11:06 AM
Old Celtic saying: "Never give a sword to a man who can't dance."

Basically, it means fighting requires rhythm. I agree.

truewrestler
07-29-2003, 11:08 AM
I don't think it is an accurate statement.

apoweyn
07-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Basically, it means fighting requires rhythm. I agree.

He shoots. HE SCORES!!

I agree too. Obviously, it's not necessary to dance. But many of the same qualities are required. That's all.

Stuart B.

Black Jack
07-29-2003, 11:12 AM
No

Mr Punch
07-29-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Old Celtic saying: "Never give a sword to a man who can't dance."That's why the Celts were the first to get their asses kicked by thems piggin belligerent German tribes...!:D

Basically, it means fighting requires rhythm. I agree. Fighting requires aggression, and frankly, arrhythm. I can't see dancing building either. And in some cases I can see why you need to learn one thing to understand the opposite, but in the case of rhythm and arrhythm I can't see that either.

I think it's pish.

About as relevant as the Japanese ballet dancer who said 'ballet is fighting skill', but he didn't look like he'd been in many brawls to me.

Some wise man once said: If you get into a fight, you've already lost... and if I ever find that wise guy, I'm really gonna teach him what he was talking about!!!:D

themeecer
07-29-2003, 11:39 AM
Interesting topic.

I ballroom, Latin, and swing dance and have often seen how it compliments my martial arts. One problem I have is sometimes I forget I am dancing with my petite soft dance partner and I think I am in a sparring match. I have come close to finishing a dance move with a killing blow. :D

tnwingtsun
07-29-2003, 11:48 AM
I this corner,fighting out of ........

http://anomalies-unlimited.com/Jackson.html

:eek: :confused:

norther practitioner
07-29-2003, 11:49 AM
I pop (like old school popping), the rhythem either hurts you or helps you...
I think it is interesting to find someone who really understands the rhythem of a fight, and watch them change it (or get beat up in the process). I think it can be a valuable tool in fighting and forms..

themeecer
07-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Do you 'old school' pop or are you doing some of the new stuff? I recently downloaded some clips of some kids 'popping' and I couldn't believe my eyes. They took it so far beyond what we had in the 80s. It was nice to watch.

norther practitioner
07-29-2003, 12:08 PM
Half of them aren't "popping"
They have no hits, no pop... anyone can do liquids and boxes...
The best are still the electric bugaloos.. Mr. Wiggles, Poppin' Pete, Skeeter the Rabbit, etc....

FYI.. the way I break down some moves energies have a lot to do with wavin'

Shaolin-Do
07-29-2003, 12:17 PM
Back in my days of ecstacy and colored beads I was all about the bboy and the pop....
hehhe
not so much anymore...
But I agree, not only does fighting require rythm but fluidity of movement.

themeecer
07-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Yeah .. Mr. Wiggles was who I saw. It was amazing.

Shaolin-Do
07-29-2003, 12:22 PM
"Mr. Wiggles was who I saw"

Erm... ehehehe
Thats also the name of a.. *cough*... err... movie....
:D

norther practitioner
07-29-2003, 12:40 PM
He's been around since the 80s.. I think he was in breakin' but he's been around forever...

Have you guys ever fought someone good at changing tempo and rhythem...

Judge Pen
07-29-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner

Have you guys ever fought someone good at changing tempo and rhythem...

Yeah, I have. It's humbling because right when you think you have their timing figured out they switch and leave you reeling.

good rhythm is a talent in fighting, but not being able to "dance" doesn't mean that you don't have good rhythm when you "fight" Dancing means your rhythm follows a musical beat. I suggest that once can have fighting rhythm and still not be able to "dance."

Chang Style Novice
07-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Is this the same Mr. Wiggles who does a contortionist routine at P-Funk shows?

norther practitioner
07-29-2003, 01:12 PM
contortionist
I don't think so...
Mr. Wiggles (http://www.mrwiggleshiphop.net/mr_wiggles_home_page.htm)

Chang Style Novice
07-29-2003, 01:31 PM
No, that's not him. The guy dances, too, as my question implies, but he's also amazingly limber, in that "sit on your own head" way, and he hangs out near the front of the stage and does his thing the full duration of the concert. He's considerably darker skinned than the guy in your link, too.

joedoe
07-29-2003, 03:12 PM
Maybe the quote also refers to the requirement for a dancer to be able to read their partner's movement and match it appropriately, rather than a requirement for rhythm.

Mr Punch
07-29-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Judge Pen

Yeah, I have. It's humbling because right when you think you have their timing figured out they switch and leave you reeling.

good rhythm is a talent in fighting, but not being able to "dance" doesn't mean that you don't have good rhythm when you "fight" Dancing means your rhythm follows a musical beat. I suggest that once can have fighting rhythm and still not be able to "dance." Sorry, but I disagree. I don't see it as having to have rhythm in fighting; I still think good fighters are arrhythmic. I think the problem with what you just mentioned, is that as humans it is natural for us to seek pattern or order even when sometimes there is none... so,

sometimes your opponent does settle into a rhythm for a second or two by some kind of mistake or through over-repetitive drill training and then you can nail him... BUT

as often than as that, especially with less trained fighters, you are subconciously watching for their rhythm, then you think you have found it (when in fact they have none) which is when you get caught off-guard and nailed.

The only time you really see good rhythm in a fight is for quick combos when the guy gets through with a couple or three shots or when finishing someone off so there is no response. This brings me to another point: on the street, and preferably (but rarely) in the ring, the only time I want to hit any kind of rhythm is when I can 'finish' someone and dance on their broken bodies!:D So the only way I want my fighting to be like dancing is if it's tap dancing (drum roll; groan... sorry boys!) :o :D

I still think there is little truth in the statement. If there is, it's in what joedoe says above. Certainly applies to aiki, wingchun, pushing hands, kendo, jujutsu... wait: that's it! I've seen the light! It's ballet for me!!!