PDA

View Full Version : Silk reeling & Water.

Laughing Cow
07-30-2003, 04:38 PM
Hi All.

One of my Sigung told as that we should try to perform silk reeling exercises while submerged up to our necks.

Apparently it will help us to make our movements more round and smooth.

Anybody here got any experience with doing this?

Haven't had a chance to visit the public pool yet to try it out, but I think it would be benefitial.

Cheers.

yenhoi
07-30-2003, 04:39 PM
I do!

I try forms to.

Afterall humans are like the fish of the air.

:D

Liokault
07-30-2003, 05:10 PM
You could just try it while some one is trying to hit you!!

Lets see just how round and smooth you need to be.

Crushing Step
08-01-2003, 01:41 AM
"You could just try it while some one is trying to hit you!!

Lets see just how round and smooth you need to be."

I don't know if you are narrow minded or trolling for an argument. You do realize this is the taijiquan forum, right? You might as well say "Lets see how slow you need to be". Nobody is going to fight exactly like their forms.

Back to the subject, I have done forms in the water myself. I think it's relaxing. I've also sparred once (not in a public pool!) in chest height water, using only kicks. This I believe is practical in developing kicking speed and power.

omarthefish
08-01-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Liokault
You could just try it while some one is trying to hit you!!

Lets see just how round and smooth you need to be.

The harder they hit, the rounder and softer you need to be.

Liokault
08-02-2003, 10:10 AM
fast loosing faith in this forum and in so called martial artists.

Laughing Cow
08-02-2003, 02:15 PM
fast loosing faith in this forum and in so called martial artists.

Have you read this article (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=380).

Granted it is not the same TJQ style as yours, but for us Chan Si Jin is very important.
My Sifu always complains that too much TJQ these days does not really develop it and thus misses out a great deal.

Here is another great article (http://www.yangfamilytaichi.com/rep/archives/silk_reeling.htm) from the Yang Family which I think is close to your style.

Cheers.

Liokault
08-02-2003, 02:41 PM
From the article linked by Laughing Cow.

his father's hidden jin that threw someone bigger in size over ten feet up.

Is this physicaly possiable?

Laughing Cow
08-02-2003, 02:55 PM

Is this physicaly possiable?

Don't know, all I know is that at my current skill level I am still unable to do it.

OTOH, I have seen my seniors and sifu do a few things that left my Jaw on the floor.

Cheers.

Liokault
08-02-2003, 03:01 PM
Such as?

Liokault
08-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Im only asking as after 14 years of martial arts, lots of seminars, lots of festivals, lots of comps and tones of demonstrations the only thing thats left my jaw on the flaw was a round house kick from a TKD guy.

Laughing Cow
08-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Im only asking as after 14 years of martial arts, lots of seminars, lots of festivals, lots of comps and tones of demonstrations the only thing thats left my jaw on the flaw was a round house kick from a TKD guy.

Using shoulder strikes and a few other techs with so little body movement but still generating a lot of energy.
Issuing stomps that can be felt through the whole Gym-hall.

Feeling of pushing with a real good MA that can neutralise you at ANY given time or point.

Just very good skills.

StickyHands
08-02-2003, 10:44 PM
can ur seniors lift people 10 feet in the air due to a hit?

Laughing Cow
08-02-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by StickyHands
can ur seniors lift people 10 feet in the air due to a hit?

Never asked if they can, nor does it matter to me.

If Liokault can only get that from the article I feel sorry for him.
IMO, the article contained a much more important message which seemed to have been overlooked by many.

To me it doesn't matter if it was 10 feet or 2 feet, CXW is recognised as a master and I am sure he will happily answer any questions and demo his skill when approached at a seminar or similar.

I haven't met him yet personally, but I think I might have a good chance to do so in the near future and I can assure you that the last question on my mind will be if it was 9 feet 10 inches or 10 feet.

Cheers.

StickyHands
08-04-2003, 11:02 PM
indeed, but someone who really can effotelessly shoot up another person 10 feet high, his power is immense and non-debatable.

Say LC: how many years have you been training in Chen? What are you able to do now, which level and such? Would you rate yourself as a good aficionado of Taiji? Any talents?

Laughing Cow
08-04-2003, 11:06 PM
IME, as the average student you are lucky if your Sifu lets you see glimpses of his/her real skill.

Cheers.

Liokault
08-05-2003, 09:42 AM
The harder they hit, the rounder and softer you need to be.

this is untrue!!! I am very round and soft (after putting on 5kilos in about 6 weeks) and im getting hit hard all the time, but not more or with less damage or pain than when I was lean and hard!!

Then again i cant throw a man 10 feet in the air either.