PDA

View Full Version : Toudi (Karate) is Okinawan

Vash
07-30-2003, 05:36 PM
Just thought I'd mention a non-Chinese martial art, just to see what would happen.

Oh, yeah . . . question: In reviewing the kata Kusanku, Sanchin, and Seuinchin, I noticed a lot of similarities with two forms from kung fu (please do not hate me for not knowing which style. I'm horrible at placing non-Toudi styles). I was wondering if anyone knew of connections between these kata and a particular style of Kung Fu.

Starchaser107
07-30-2003, 07:03 PM
i think a similar question was asked within the last few months, maybe not in the main board..check the archives of the others..i'm thinking possibly the shaolin board for some reason. or maybe even o.r.a.

StickyHands
07-30-2003, 07:33 PM
In my opinion, more exclusively Uechi Ryu, and some elements in Goju Ryu are taken from Hung Gar. Uechi Ryu will directly tell you name of the forms, some, if you translate it, it's evident they are called Dragon, Tiger, and Crane. And of course Sanchin.

rogue
07-30-2003, 07:41 PM
Vash, are you saying Isshinryu = Xingyiquan?

Vash
07-30-2003, 08:06 PM
not. I study Isshinryu, and am interested in Xingyiquan.

Of course, I am the grandmaster of Isshinryuxingyiquanryu

dezhen2001
07-31-2003, 04:59 AM
if you look at the Bubishi translated by Patrick McCarthy, its interesting.

It mentions specifically Uechi Ryu and Goju Ryu, as well as the Shorin Ryu form Okinawa having close ties with Fujian style gong fu. Specifically Fukien Crane and southern tiger.

Skills that are known from there have Sanchin and some other forms that are very similar. I also know from when i did goju ryu for a while that Seiunchin, Sanseiru and of course Sanchin and Tensho are related to southern chinese kung fu.

But that doesnt mean they are exactly the same... from what i have seen of crane and ngo chor there are many differences :)

Finding the link between Gokenki and southern crane, as well as the founder of goju and uechi ryu going to train in fukein is kinda cool :)

dawood