PDA

View Full Version : bones and tendons

abobo
07-30-2003, 09:35 PM
and bears, oh my...

Does anybody have any info about the ways that exercise and weightlifting affect the bones and tendons?

I've always been told that bone density and connective tissue adapt the most for the novice lifter, and after that they adapt slowly relative to the nervous system and muscle fibers.

So what I'm looking for is a clearer explanation of how they adapt, and how this affects prolonged lifting.

And any other methods to strengthen / reduce stress on tendons for athletic activities. I would think that good stretching might reduce stress over time, for example.

Ford Prefect
07-31-2003, 06:38 AM
When a muscle undergoes myofabrillar/sarcomeric hypertrophy, which is the increase in size of muscle fibers, more connective tissue between the fibers is build up as well. While the elbow tendon itself isn't made stroner, the support mechanism of the muscle itself is built up which inturn makes the joint stronger. This is why veteran lifters can handle weight in a way that wear tear a newbie's arms off. ;)

I've heard that lifting heavy can increase bone density as well, but I haven't read up on it, so I can't comment on that.

Shaolin-Do
07-31-2003, 12:52 PM
"Does anybody have any info about the ways that exercise and weightlifting affect the bones and tendons?"

Any sort of weighted overhead press is improper as far as bone/tendon alignment goes... Its very bad for your shoulder and can cause serious problems in your rotator cuff. If you are planning on lifting weights above your head, its better to pull up, than push up.

"heard that lifting heavy can increase bone density as well, but I haven't read up on it, so I can't comment on that."

I remember reading something on that somewhere as well, but I am in the same boat as you there.

IronFist
08-06-2003, 08:33 PM
Shaolin-Do said:

Any sort of weighted overhead press is improper as far as bone/tendon alignment goes... Its very bad for your shoulder and can cause serious problems in your rotator cuff. If you are planning on lifting weights above your head, its better to pull up, than push up.

How can you lift a weight above your head if you're not "pushing" it up? If you're doing a pullup, you're not lifting anything above your head.

btw, you would have to have attrocious form for it to damage your rotator cuffs. Overhead lifting develops lots of functional strength.

IronFist

Shaolin-Do
08-07-2003, 11:50 AM
"you would have to have attrocious form for it to damage your rotator cuffs. "

which most people do.

Yes, military style presses, bench press, very very good for muscular development, and it does create a lot of applicable strength. However.. The good majority of people do it wrong, and it causes significant damage to the rotator cuff. Ill try and find some sites on it for you...

IronFist
08-07-2003, 02:14 PM
I still want to know how you can "pull up" a weight above your head.

IronFist

yenhoi
08-07-2003, 03:35 PM
Cable machine. Simple.

:D

Shaolin-Do
08-07-2003, 09:38 PM
Not pull up with wieghts...
Pull yourself up.
Pull ups.
Chin up bar.
:)

rubthebuddha
08-07-2003, 11:43 PM
but those are pulls, not presses/pushes. the two work entirely different muscles.