PDA

View Full Version : Weight Routines and Kata Application

Vash
07-30-2003, 10:30 PM
Just a mad idea at midnight:

Why not include in a weight training workout a lift which corresponds to a particular technique in a form?

rubthebuddha
07-30-2003, 11:58 PM
federal law prohibits such practice.

on a slightly more serious note, it's neither a good nor a bad idea -- the goodness or badness would be determined on the application of said idea.

as in all weight training, think of the benefits gained by the movement (brute strength, coordination, balance of lesser muscles, etc.), weigh it against the possible commitments (injured joints/tendons/wallet, useage of time, etc.), investigate if another movement can obtain the same or better benefits with a lower commitment, compare this all to your goals and decide.

say, for example, your style has a snap kick. something like a leg extension would seem right for it, but then you realize that snappy motions and often the corresponding motion in a "lift" can lead to buggered knees from all the over-extension. so you compare it to squats, which work the same muscles as a stomp kick. then you remember that squats have a higher risk of back and knee injury if not done right. so you compare and contrast, and make your decision.

enough rambling. think like a businessperson. compare the costs to the benefits and see if the results look good.

Shaolin-Do
07-31-2003, 12:56 PM
"Why not include in a weight training workout a lift which corresponds to a particular technique in a form?"

There are several weight lifting routines that work similar to what you have described, like in SC pulling a weighted pulley to work on throws.

Dont just pick up wieghts and do something however, make sure that you are still using proper weight lifting technique, and not poorly aligning ligaments and joints, stressing parts of your body too much.

Just as RTB said, "think like a businessperson. compare the costs to the benefits and see if the results look good"

Ming Yue
07-31-2003, 03:09 PM
why not just train your forms with weights in hand?

I've noticed a big improvement in my speed and fluidity in a relatively short time practicing this way. Thinking about adding ankle weights too.

nothing major, 5-8 pounds in each hand, do the form 4 or 5 times, then a few times at speed with no weights.

-C

Vash
07-31-2003, 08:35 PM
What I meant I obviously didn't get across. I didn't mean doing certain techniques as lifts, but doing certain lifts which resemble said techniques.

As for squats, that's a no-no: I have a petalla tracking problem, and a subluxation in my back that's been bothering me for months.

Thanks for the replies! Maybe I won't be so vague next time. It was late (it's late now, too).

PLCrane
08-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Vash,

I do that with rubber bands. I prefer to exercise functional groups rather than isolating individual muscles.

PLC