PDA

View Full Version : your knowledgeable advice, please...

psychojack
07-31-2003, 01:23 AM
in august i'll be moving to san fransisco (actually berkeley) for graduate school, which affords me (finally; i've been living in a small town with no place to train) the chance to train in a martial art. i've taken some superficial karate and tai chi in the past and had a blast (and really excelled in these low level classes; not sure how i'd do in more challenging settings, but i feel as though i'd make out alright), so i feel i'd enjoy delving more deeply into a style.

my question is what style should i delve into. now, before you get into a huff or tell to read the archive, i am NOT asking which style is best overall; i'm asking for your advice regarding which style i should look into given the information i'm about to give you. i have interests, i just don't know which style will play into them the best.

i'd like to learn something that will suit me well in a real life setting, although i do believe that any style can do just that if practiced long and hard enough. the better the pratical application, however, the more satisfied i'll be (i think). furthermore, i'd like something that teaches me to strike as well as to throw/grapple. i've considered cross training, but not sure i can afford this on a grad student salary. finally, i'd like to learn some sword play (i think sword katas are just beautiful), preferably samuari, but chinese long sword would be just as wonderful.

i am 5'9, lean build of 155lbs. i lift and run regularly. my left knee is somewhat weak; and old injury that comes and goes.

i'm sure this long ass email has left you bored or confused, but if at all possible, could you leave an explaination as to what style you think i should look into (even a bit of history would be welcomed if you feel up to it). i'll make sure to check often in case you have any additional questions you need answered.

thanks a million!

Judge Pen
07-31-2003, 06:36 AM
There's no easy answer without degrading into a "style v. style" debate. From reading your post, I'd look for a teacher that has cross-trained proficiently so you may pick up some of the traditional kung fu forms and the grappling that you seek. It doesn't sound like you intent is to be a fighter (like Shuai Chiao) so the choice of teacher is more important than anything.

BTW, the Japanese sword katas are pretty, but I don't think Iado would suit your needs exclusively. I'm not sure about another Japanese arts involving the sword. I know that Aikido trains with the bokken, but my opinions are mixed on Aikido.

Look around up there and ask questions about the styles/teachers that you are interested in here. They'll be plenty of disagreement, but at least you'll get plenty of opinions.

BTW, what are you studying in Berkeley?

Brad
07-31-2003, 06:58 AM
I'd say Baji, though I don't know if you'll be able to find that in Berekly ;-) There's well over 100 styles in wushu/kungfu. It'd be easier to just tell us what all's available to you so there's someplace to start...

Shaolin-Do
07-31-2003, 07:00 AM
Ergh... Appears that there is lack of kung fu in berkeley...
How far is that from oakland and bay area?

yenhoi
07-31-2003, 08:43 AM
Find the best teacher around that will teach you and learn from him.

:eek:

No_Know
07-31-2003, 08:57 AM
Aikido:

-there should be a club or class at the University

-they punch (though not learn to punch (you could incorporate seperate study of punches and use in that class)).

-they use wooden models of Japanese Samurai long sword.

-it can be applicable.

Mr Punch
07-31-2003, 10:19 AM
Boy, have you come to the wrong forum...:D

Cody
07-31-2003, 11:55 AM
There is no substitute for just observing, and pretty much asking yourself: "Do I want to do this?" And, you seem to have a broad spectrum of possibilities.
You have to watch out for yourself when it comes to that knee. Not all teachers are careful.
It's true that many styles might suit you, but it is the way the style is taught that makes a difference too. That's part of the trial and error process here.

There is a University of California Martial Arts Program at Berkeley. annual tournament there. I have no experience with the program, but that could be a good first stop for you.
http://www.ucmap.org
http://www.ucmap.org/clubs

Cody

Merryprankster
07-31-2003, 12:05 PM
Dude, you're in a wealth of MA.

Berkeley has a Judo Club.

Wally Jay is on Alameda.

There is BJJ to be had....

And one of the best San Shou teams in the nation is a bike ride from you in Oakland.

http://www.kungfu.net/

You can everywhere I just mentioned on your bike. And you'll want one, trust me.

Water Dragon
07-31-2003, 12:07 PM
There's also Daniel Weng, who teaches Shaui Chaio and a Li Tai Liang Xing Yi rep.

Shaolin-Do
07-31-2003, 12:17 PM
For a school listing just check out http://www.yellowpages.com and type in Berkeley california with Martial arts for business name.
Sure it wont come up with EVERYTHING, but it will give you a good idea of what you have to work with.

Judge Pen
07-31-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
For a school listing just check out http://www.yellowpages.com and type in Berkeley california with Martial arts for business name.
Sure it wont come up with EVERYTHING, but it will give you a good idea of what you have to work with.

Wow SD, you're pretty resourceful when you're not stoned! ;)

Shaolin-Do
07-31-2003, 12:23 PM
"not stoned"?

:D

Judge Pen
07-31-2003, 12:27 PM
A bad assumption on my part. Sorry.

Shaolin-Do
07-31-2003, 12:28 PM
Its ok :)
Ive actually cut my smoking down significantly.
Used to be 1 time a day. (all day everyday)

Now its just right when I wake up, and then again after kung fu.
:)

(weekends of course all day everyday)
:D

Edit: I dont fall into the "uhh... wheres the potato chips?" Stoners.
Im more in the "****... Im pretty ripped. Lets go to barnes and nobles" category.

norther practitioner
07-31-2003, 02:37 PM
There is some pretty good taiji there too from what I understand....

psychojack
07-31-2003, 06:17 PM
thanks a lot for the replies, ya'll. i will definately take to heart what a lot of you have said.

to answer a few of the questions asked:

i will study biotechnological microbiology at berkeley for the next 5 to 6 years of my life. berkeley is near both oakland and san fransisco, so i should be alright with finding a school in any of these areas (although one in my backyard would be best).

i'll do some research by going to the links ya'll sent me; expect another question about what i read in a little bit.

one question for now: what is baji (brad recommended it)? i've never heard of it before now. a style of kung fu i assume?

thanks again everyone.

Merryprankster
08-01-2003, 02:14 AM
San Francisco can be a pain in the ass to get to from Berkeley. Sure, you can take the BART over, but if it's rush hour.... ugh.

Trust me when I tell you that unless you find a school in SF that you are just in love with, you'll be better off with an East Bay school that is closer that you like.

If I were you (which I'm not :D) I would check out the San Shou place in Oakland. They teach traditional Kung Fu and produce great fighters in San Shou. They must be doing something right--additionally, San Shou DEFINITELY teaches you how to strike and throw and not get thrown. Good for my money!

Baji is an "internal" art--a loaded term. So's Hsing Yi, which the San Shou place apparently teaches. Let's not discuss internal and external. Round and round....

Christopher M
08-01-2003, 06:56 AM
Even the wrasslers are calling things internal now... god help us.

Psychojack - the only advice worth taking is to invest the time visiting each of the clubs in the area and finding out which is right for you. This could include months spent at various clubs - but if it results in a hobby you'll love for years, this is a good investment, right? The most important thing is that you enjoy the training. Ignore everything else people tell you to look for; this is the key, without which you've got nothing. Internet descriptions of styles are worse than useless; they'll just make you imagine things about the style which aren't true. Honestly, the best thing to do is get hands-on and find out what you like. You'll have a great long-term benefit from this approach of being familiar, in a physical sense, with a variety of styles, and making connections in the community, which can help you continue this kind of community-wide training once you've found a school or two that you've decided to focus on.

I know this isn't the easy answer, and certainly not the sexy one. But I'm wagering it's the right one.

Elxen
08-01-2003, 07:04 AM
Baji is an "internal" art--a loaded term. So's Hsing Yi, which the San Shou place apparently teaches. Let's not discuss internal and external. Round and round.... [/B]

:D discussing it anyway

if you mean Bajiquan I would not call it internal :cool:

Water Dragon
08-01-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Elxen

:D discussing it anyway

if you mean Bajiquan I would not call it internal :cool:

Oh boy. Here we go...