PDA

View Full Version : Training for MT vs training for Kung Fu

rogue
07-31-2003, 07:38 PM
From the kickboxing section (http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?FID=23) by a gent with the handle Lemon.

From Observations from thailand, I learned something new.

I am at a camp right now in thailand and i thought some of you guys would be interested in some things i noticed as well as some comparisons, between the western and thai way of training (though different camps will differ and i am going to another camp later on so i will post that to.)
I would like to hear your thoughts to!!!

First thing i noticed is the length of the sessions, they are not intense sessions like in Australia. They are very laid back and there are sessions with interval training in them but largely they are relaxed with spurts here and there of hard training.

Over here they dont teach you things, rather they let u hit the pads or the bag and then they correct u. I found this a bit hard initially but now i'm starting to get the hang of it.

They dont spar in here at all, rather they "play" alot. Which is like isolated sparring but very soft. Anyone who thinks they kick trees is kidding themselves. THEY ALWAYS USE SHINPADS. They do NOT condition their thighs by kicking eachother over and over. This is because they compete regularly. In fact one of the reasons they dont spar is because they use competing aas "sparring". By the age of 17 alot of them have had 70+ fights which works out to a fight every 3 or 4 weeks since they were very young.

The trainign methods are a bit querky for eg using sauna suits etc and some of the weight lifting methods and conditioning, but no1 can doubt their conditioning. They train twice a day running both times, skipping both times. Another note, their skipping ropes are ALOT heavier than western ones.

They love their throws here in clinch sparring and on top of that they barely EVER knee to the head, that seems to be a western misconception. THis is because its so **** hard to knee them in the head!

They dont practice in combos here, liek they do in western style thai boxing facilities. They practice each technique individually with thousands of reps and learn to "fire them off". This is reflected in their fights when its almost an exchange. This IMO is ok as long as u start it when ure 8 or 6 years old and can fire them off. I cant. So i have to rely on combinations to land, which they dont show so i am stuck trying their method and playing catchup. Learnt alot though!

They train their pads here very differently to Australia, these dudes wack u back at every opportunity and pad hitting is basically sparring with the holder actually trying to score LOL!! Pretty good fun when u get the hand of it...hurts though!!!

Anyways interested in your thoughts. The fact they dont practice combos was the biggest shock to me.

Enjoy

truewrestler
07-31-2003, 08:09 PM
so you put "kung fu" in the title so it wouldn't get deleted right?

rogue
07-31-2003, 08:12 PM
****, I must have screwed up the paste of the kung fu part. I'll find it and get it in here.:eek: :D

Laughing Cow
07-31-2003, 08:15 PM
rogue.

I am not surprised .

Personally, I have found quiet a bit of difference between the way MA are trained in the west and in the east.

Often the goal and mindset of practicioners is very different too.

In some ways one might be better than the other or worse.

Cheers.

Mr Punch
07-31-2003, 08:17 PM
All I can say is, might be next stop Thailand...:D

Laughing Cow
07-31-2003, 08:18 PM
Mat.

Enjoy it, just make sure to check the shoe-sizes of the ladies.

Hint, Hint. ;)

Mr Punch
07-31-2003, 08:23 PM
S'ok, unlike Liokault, I don't fight ladies... buuuut anyway, if the ***** has got big feet, I'll just have to stamp on them while I kick her knee out!;) :D

Laughing Cow
07-31-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Mat
S'ok, unlike Liokault, I don't fight ladies... buuuut anyway, if the ***** has got big feet, I'll just have to stamp on them while I kick her knee out!;) :D

Now that is unfair, she can't ply her trade with a broken knee.

If a lady got big feet I kick her in the ......
:D

Mr Punch
07-31-2003, 09:18 PM
hehehehe...

yenhoi
08-02-2003, 10:03 AM
Is this the guy who is at the Lanna MT camp? He has a webpage w/forums and he posts updates all the time. Ill have to find the link if not.

:eek:

rogue
08-02-2003, 10:26 AM
That'd be great Yenhoi. It was nice to see someone describing a sane way of training a very hard style. I'm thinking that some of the guys that describe their training and how nuts it is are blowing smoke. Then there are those guys that are nuts and really do train that way.

SevenStar
08-02-2003, 10:28 AM
This is the second reference I've seen to Liokault hitting a woman - what did I miss?:confused:

yenhoi
08-02-2003, 10:35 AM
Theres a therad somewhere (unless the commie mods deleted it) by Lik about how he has lost like 25 thousand pounds (of money?) for his teacher by beating up his female students.

Pretty sad.

;)

yenhoi
08-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Here is the link, I think!

a dink dink dink...

http://www.truestudents.com/thailand/forum/index.php

:eek:

chen zhen
08-02-2003, 11:05 AM
So what's the point of this? That if MT trains half-assed, then why can they be better than KF trained half-assed?
-;)

Kristoffer
08-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Flame master as always chen? ;)

I liked the article. Though not surprising at all. The heat is so high that you would benefit from longer more 'relaxed' training sessions. I friend spoked about how he during his Thailand trip were able to train with ppl in the streets for les than a dollar. Sounds very fun n it's one of my main traveling goals (after japan maybe)

chen zhen
08-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Ya, it would be cool.
So there has already developed seperate styles of training between western MT schools, and original Thai schools.
Interesting. I guess the western boxing/kickboxing way of training is the main influence, then.

StickyHands
08-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by rogue
****, I must have screwed up the paste of the kung fu part. I'll find it and get it in here.:eek: :D

So where is it?

SevenStar
08-03-2003, 09:08 AM
he was kidding, lol. He only had kung fu in the title so it wouldn't get moved to another forum.

StickyHands
08-04-2003, 06:13 AM
that's called libel. lol