PDA

View Full Version : September/October 2003 issue

PHILBERT
07-31-2003, 10:28 PM
Hey Gene, I got a question: I was at the bookstore today and saw the new issue, September/October was out (and even on martial arts mart it is there) but my issue has yet to arrive via mail. Are they running late this month?

norther practitioner
08-04-2003, 11:31 AM
I got mine either Friday or Sat. (actually didn't have to call or anything).

GeneChing
08-05-2003, 03:59 PM
We always send out our subscriber issues the instant that we receive them. We ship by bulk mail and sometimes, depending on the region, the newsstands distributors beat us out. You see, our printer ships the issues directly to us and our distributors, and I have no idea how distributors work. Once Hawaii got the issue before we did here! We post them at www.MartialArtsMart.com as soon as we receive them too, so actually the fastest way to get a copy would be to order online, but then you'd have to pay shipping and wouldn't get the subscription discount (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/19341.html).

PHILBERT
08-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Ok, it arrived today. As soon as I get done talking to this sweet young thing on the phone (sorry Margie, she's in my mind now), I'll get down to reading it.

PHILBERT
08-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Ok I had the chance to flip through the magazine, and scanned over article titles and noticed it is another internal issue. I'll read the articles on Bagua and all, but Im not a huge fan of Taiji for some reason. I might try and glance at them.

My opinion, and others may agree, is to split the issues up between internal/external. In each issue, publish some articles on both internal and external. Like don't do an issue with 10 internal articles and 1 external, being that I'm an external stylist, the internal stuff tends to fall on deaf ears to me. And don't publish an external only issue, because then it may fall on deaf ears to some internal stylists.

I think it would look nice if you kind of divide them up, maybe do like 6 internal articles and 4 external, etc. So each person has something to look at. That is just my opinion. I'm gonna go back and flip through and read some articles.

Laughing Cow
08-06-2003, 08:42 PM
Philbert.

What is wrong with "internal" articles?

I used to subscribe to T'ai Chi magazine but quit as I found many articles to be , ahem how shall we say aaah, not to my liking. ;)

But I guess the same holds true for any publication.

But agree a balance of articles would be better, but than I am not a subscriber of said magazine and thus my opinion means squat.

norther practitioner
08-07-2003, 07:40 AM
Speaking of Specialization of issues, Gene, do you guys plan on doing a weapons or equipment issue any time soon? I have revisited my research on staffs and wood....

GeneChing
08-07-2003, 09:08 AM
I'd be the first to admit that the current issue (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=377) is excessively internal. We did have a few external articles on Hung Gar, Wushu and Sanshou. But we went intentionally overboard on this one for two reasons. One was that we are using this issue as a flagship to cater to the new age circle of advertisers. Yep, advertising drive, as well as a distribution drive. A keen eye will note that we even changed our title to increase public acceptance. Newsstand publications have been very challenging lately, and we intend to stay viable by beating the market to the punch. The second reason is to set up the next issue. Yep, that's a tease.

In any case, thank you for supporting the mag and keep the feedback coming!

np - Keep your research up. We're still developing that concept and still looking for you to participate. Email me privately with further developments.

norther practitioner
08-07-2003, 09:22 AM
We're still developing that concept and still looking for you to participate.

Cool...
I'll be contacting one of the guys who helped me do some of that research again soon, I'll see what else I can find as well... so far waxwood, rattan, and I've just done a litte as far as other uses for the other common woods used...

GeneChing
08-08-2003, 09:16 AM
Keep up the good research!

Vash
08-08-2003, 11:18 PM
I'd like to see a couple of Xingyiquan articles, and maybe even something on the Kung Fu/Krotty link.

Or, a two-page spread of me, the Gimp! But, we're gonna hafta airbrush a sixpack. Haven't been able to do a crunch in forever.

Anyway, call me when y'all'eready for my closeups.

PHILBERT
08-12-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Vash
I'd like to see a couple of Xingyiquan articles, and maybe even something on the Kung Fu/Krotty link.

Or, a two-page spread of me, the Gimp! But, we're gonna hafta airbrush a sixpack. Haven't been able to do a crunch in forever.

Anyway, call me when y'all'eready for my closeups.

Or a 2 page spread of everyone's favorite "got qi?" girl. :D :D :D

GeneChing
08-14-2003, 09:44 AM
I'm working on those xingyi pieces - personal research, don'tyaknow. And I'm looking into kung fu links to other styles - that one is always a little tricky since our readers can be so fickle with anything not kung fu. I feel that nothing could be more kung fu then to show how it helped with the development of other styles, but you know how our community can be.

As for any 2 page spreads, well, don't hold your breath on those. We'll consider it. I got a shot of Margie topless in the last issue - what more to you want?

norther practitioner
08-14-2003, 11:13 AM
. I got a shot of Margie topless in the last issue - what more to you want?
Long Life Health Bar?

GeneChing
08-15-2003, 09:48 AM
...that wasn't Margie anyway, it was Tammy (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/extigclawpac11.html). Fun shoot - we still have th pics - but we're not publishing them. As for Margie, she enjoyed the topless shoot, as she revealed here on another thread, and seems willing, if not eager to do more. But in order to do so, that last shoot has to work, so if you want to see more of Margie, you gotta buy up those Long Life Health Bars (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/2045.html). ;)

PHILBERT
08-18-2003, 01:54 PM
Ya know, I nearly smacked my head on the ceiling of my room leaping onto my bed to get the new issue I had on the other side. The top of my matress is 3 feet above the ground so when I jumped on the bed to get around it, I nearly hit my head on the ceiling.

GeneChing
08-19-2003, 09:42 AM
We appreciate your enthusiasm. :D

norther practitioner
08-20-2003, 08:58 AM
Philbert....
you might want to watch out for those solid objects... they can hurt.:D

PHILBERT
08-20-2003, 02:43 PM
True story, once when I was at work (a place I no longer work at), I was explaining to a girl how if you rearrange the molecules in your body just right, you can pass through solid objects. I then turned and ran into a hardwood wall 3 times. :p

For some reason that place made me weirder and weirder.

GeneChing
08-21-2003, 09:45 AM
So, philbert, was she convinced?

PHILBERT
08-21-2003, 12:34 PM
Actually she looked at me weird, as did everyone else who saw me do it. They were use to it, I remember one guy who was a recovering drug addict and he was around 24 years old. He told me that I am one of the weirdest, craziest people he has ever met, and that he would never want to see me drunk (I don't drink). I laughed.

norther practitioner
08-21-2003, 01:02 PM
Feels Philberts forehead..

"You feeling alright there man?"

GeneChing
08-22-2003, 09:24 AM
...what kind of job was it? nuclear plant monitor?

PHILBERT
08-22-2003, 12:13 PM
A waiter, or the politically correct term, "server".

norther practitioner
08-22-2003, 12:58 PM
In some restaurants, I'd say thats almost the same thing.:D

GeneChing
08-25-2003, 09:41 AM
... and what about being a waiter convinced you that you could rearrange your molecules and walk through solid objects? What were your serving at that restaurant? :confused:

PHILBERT
08-25-2003, 01:03 PM
It was something that my physics teacher was discussing one day when I was a junior in high school. He said "If it were possible to rearrange the molecules...blah blah blah...walk through that door...blah blah blah...but I'd probably hurt myself hitting the door before my body passes through it."

I was explaining the theory, I never thought that I'd actually pass through the wall and was being goofy.

As far as food, just normal food. Steaks, burgers, chicken, shrimps, salads, catfish, salmon, nothing amazing or unique. Though we did have something called a Chicken and Shrimp Oriental Salad, never tried it because I'm alergic to shrimp. Found out last year at 2 am on my 19th birthday. Most people think that praying to the porcelin God on your birthday is a sign of a good day, I however don't drink and was just praying my dinner.

GeneChing
09-27-2017, 12:39 PM
The disappearing art of Chinese Wudang-style Kongfu (http://en.people.cn/n3/2017/0706/c90000-9238114.html)
(People's Daily Online) 15:43, July 06, 2017

Traditional Chinese Kongfu lost its practicality after the end of the cold weapon age. Wudang, one of the most famous forms, is trying to carry the tradition forward in a new age.
Zhong Yunlong, born in 1964, is 14th generation Wudang Sanfeng Sect. He came to Wudang when he was 19 years old and exchanged Kongfu arts with other sects on behalf of Wudang. Zhong returned to the Purple Cloud Temple, the base of Wudang, five years later to deal with challengers from other places.

http://en.people.cn/NMediaFile/2017/0706/FOREIGN201707061549000324227018923.jpg
(Purple Cloud Temple)

The last person who challenged him was an Italian fighter some 23 years ago. Claiming to be the founder of martial arts in Europe, he was thrown to the ground and slightly injured. Measures were later put in place to prevent future injuries. Without an actual combat atmosphere, however, fighters cannot learn from each other, and Wudang gradually became a form of exercise for self-entertainment.
According to Zhong, Wudang used to have 11 branches, but now only has six. “The most important reason for their disappearance is the strict rules of inheritance. There used to be more than 400 sects in Taoism Kongfu, but most of them were lost over time.”
Wudang swordsmanship exists only in legends, because today’s swords are made of iron and are wobbly, so they are only suitable for performances or collection. He has collected various swords, all of which are unsatisfactory, expect one: a rusty sword made in the 1980s has companied Zhong till now.

http://en.people.cn/NMediaFile/2017/0706/FOREIGN201707061554000030630108910.jpg
(Wudang's Sword Collection)

“Its performance rather than community,” Zhong said, describing the present environment of Kongfu. Before, several years of training was required before one could even start learning Wudang Kongfu. Nowadays, most people are just interested in superficial moves.
According to rumor, Zhong’s master gave him a sword book before he died. Zhong said the rumor is false. “There’s no such sword book. We were taught the arts orally.”

http://en.people.cn/NMediaFile/2017/0706/FOREIGN201707061556000290768648519.jpg
(Zhong Yunlong)

Wudang and Shaolin are the best-know forms of Chinese Kongfu. Wudang is famous for swordsmanship while Shaolin style is superior in boxing. Wudang’s swordsmanship is famous in China. It combines both hard and soft moves that change according to the reactions of the challengers.
Nowadays, Taoists in Wudang pay more attention to tourism than Kongfu. Data shows that Wudang received 7.6 million tourists in 2016, and made 4.3 billion RMB in 2016.
Zhong left the Purple Cloud Temple last year, despite his promise to his master that he would never leave Wudang. He did not take his sword with him.

Wudang (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?62509-Info-on-Wudang/) & our SEP+OCT 2003 cover master (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?24250-September-October-issue).