PDA

View Full Version : Tom Arnold said something funny!

ShifuBinks
08-01-2003, 08:42 AM
Last night on Conan O'brien I heard that schmuck say that Jet Li was a real martial artist hahahahaha

red5angel
08-01-2003, 08:56 AM
actually he is.

Tom Arnold can be funny as hell if someone else does the wrting for him.

ShifuBinks
08-01-2003, 09:03 AM
I see...I thought Jet Li just did the new wusu

and Tom Arnold funny? Cmon, looks aren't everything...the only other funny thing about Arnold is that he married Rosanne.

truewrestler
08-01-2003, 09:09 AM
I would like to see the context of that comment.

He has worked with Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell and other real fighters in movies and has always shown a lot of respect for their fighting abilities.

ShifuBinks
08-01-2003, 09:13 AM
It is on comedy central now here...I think Conan asked him about actors he had worked with and basically he said Jet Li was the real deal whereas Segal is a washed up fat b@st@rd

Suntzu
08-01-2003, 09:14 AM
He WAS married................... and stop Trolling...

apoweyn
08-01-2003, 09:17 AM
Anyone else find it odd that Tom Arnold, of all people, has starred in movies with both Steven Seagal and Jet Li?!

ShifuBinks
08-01-2003, 09:17 AM
Sorry I forgot he was your hero

ShifuBinks
08-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Anyone else find it odd that Tom Arnold, of all people, has starred in movies with both Steven Seagal and Jet Li?!

Yes I do find it odd, though I haven't seen any of the movies...what I find even more peculiar is the fact that he himself hasn't tried to supplement his fine acting skills :rolleyes: with some wusu training...most actors nowadays are also trying to sell themselves as really tough people like Cameron Diaz...some of them have actually become fine martial artisits i.e. Kris Kristoferson

apoweyn
08-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by ShifuBinks

Yes I do find it odd, though I haven't seen any of the movies...what I find even more peculiar is the fact that he himself hasn't tried to supplement his fine acting skills :rolleyes: with some wusu training...most actors nowadays are also trying to sell themselves as really tough people like Cameron Diaz...some of them have actually become fine martial artisits i.e. Kris Kristoferson

Kris Kristofferson? I didn't realize. What's his game?

Where is Eldersburg, by the way?

Stuart B.

ShifuBinks
08-01-2003, 09:48 AM
Eldersburg is a suburb of Baltimore....Excellent!

I don't know what style Kristofferson uses, just remember him doing some fight scenes in Blades 1 & 2 but now my bro is telling me he just used guns...a better example might be Wesley Snipes or Jonathan Brandis (Sidekicks, Ladybugs, Neverending Story Part 2)

apoweyn
08-01-2003, 10:07 AM
I should know that. Grew up in Severna Park myself.

red5angel
08-01-2003, 10:27 AM
Shifubinks, Jet Li is big into Bagua and Xingyi now, possibly some other internal arts. He is not only training those arts but as you pointed out he has also trained and competed in Wushu competitions. He is as martial as anyone else I know.

FatherDog
08-01-2003, 10:30 AM

I don't know what style Kristofferson uses, just remember him doing some fight scenes in Blades 1 & 2 but now my bro is telling me he just used guns...a better example might be Wesley Snipes or Jonathan Brandis (Sidekicks, Ladybugs, Neverending Story Part 2)

All of Kristofferson's fight scenes depended either heavily or entirely on firearms, because his character had a braced leg and thus limited mobility.

Kristofferson is a former Golden Gloves boxer, but I'm not aware of any other MA training he may have had.

WanderingMonk
08-01-2003, 04:16 PM

I saw an interview with Wesley Snipes and he said he started in karate like when he was ten.

When his movie Blade came out, Snipes sponsored this silly Martial Art Legend award ceremony which was aired on TNT. It was really a bizzard show, Snipes tried to mereged hiphop and MA culture into one. I thought it was really weird. Anyways, Snipes's teacher promoted him to 3 rd degree black belt during the show. How legit all this is, I am not sure, but he does look he has real skills.

wm

Sho
08-01-2003, 04:51 PM
As I see it, Jet Li has always been a fan of internal arts. He's a great martial artist in my honest opinion and his training isn't just limited to PRC wushu. Many people just see him as a movie star with a martial dance background, even though he has seeked for guidance from eg. a number of different Taijiquan instructors. I'm also 100% sure that he has done independent research on martial arts that was not for purposes concerning the audience and the movie scene in general.

ShifuBinks
08-01-2003, 05:34 PM
How legit all this is, I am not sure, but he does look he has real skills.
Yes one never can be too skeptical in this day and age what with all the 8 year old 2nd degree black belts running around doing demos and such...I agree though his fight scenes are cool, but how much of that is CGI?

I once read an article by David Carridine in IKF entitled "Show me the Real Stuff" where he criticized modern actors for using technology to enhance there fight scenes, unlike him who did the real stuff on the beloved "Kung Fu" series...

Sho: Interesting info on Jet Li, but the question on my mind is...can he fight?

cho
08-01-2003, 07:12 PM
..can he fight?
probably about as well as Jackie Chan, maybe better since he isn't as injured.

I think I saw that Conan show when C2G came out. Tom also joked about Seagal having a double that does the actual punches, while Seagal poses with a sandwich. It was pretty funny. and that bit about him having a third teste.

Sho
08-02-2003, 05:03 AM
can he fight?I'm sure he can successfully defend himself because of his martial arts training, but he just wouldn't do too well in the ring or against fighter fighters (although I could be mistaken, but I highly doubt it). :)

Sho
08-02-2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by cho
probably about as well as Jackie Chan, maybe better since he isn't as injured.Jackie Chan is a far more experienced fighter than Jet Li. I don't know about Jet's training when it comes to sparring, but I do know for a fact that Jackie sparred a lot in his past. I'm quite sure his stunt team spars regularly together.

cho
08-02-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Sho
I'm quite sure his stunt team spars regularly together.
When Chan 'spars' with his team, it's to build coordination and timing between themselves, but unlike Jet he's had streetfights. Watch his documentary "My Stunts" or any of his movies past 1980. Notice how he only fights with his own stuntmen b/c his trusts them to punch close to his face without hitting him.

"Who Am I?" in particular had pretty bad editing, wherein most of the Dutch "hitmen" were doubled by Chinese guys. Also, "My Stunts" has this one part when Chan is trying to choreograph with the tall fighter. Everytime the tall guy kicks near him, Chan would run away, b/c he's not used to his kicks.