PDA

View Full Version : How to use proper technique when in a self-defence situation?

nowhesings
01-11-2001, 04:43 PM
Hi! Do you have any ideas on how to sort of internalize the Kung Fu techniques, so that when I'm threatened I won't go crazy and lose all I've learned. Doing hardcore sparring with the "red-lights on"

dz
01-11-2001, 04:50 PM
Greetings,

Geoff Thompson has written several books on
the subject "pressure testing the martial
arts". One that I can recommend is "Animal
day". You can read more about him and his
work on <A HREF="http://www.geoffthompson.com." TARGET="_blank">www.geoffthompson.com.</A>

Regards,
Wai

old jong
01-11-2001, 06:31 PM
How can we prepare for the unexpected?IMO,train in your basics,structure,power.Become confident in your techniques by using them in chi sau and sparring.Be simple,avoid flowery things.Become lethal!

C'est la vie!

Kung Lek
01-11-2001, 07:49 PM
Hi-

a few words on how to ingrain your style into your nature.

#1- Practice, Practice, Practice.

#2- Use your sparring time as a ways and means to develop style specific techniques.

#3- extrapolate motions and moves from forms and refine them. Start with those that you can perform correctly.

#4-Listen to your teacher when he/she expounds on principle and body mechanics.

#5- if you have a two man form in your regimen, use the techniques within when appropriate during sparring.

#6-when sparring, force of will and be determined to use only that which is from within your system.
work it, breath it, live it, love it and learn it inside and out.

I personally used to constantly fall into what has been referred to as "the kickboxing trap".
It was through the use of the above points that I got away from it finally and have realized how to use the Kung Fu I have been graciously given by my Si Fu in the controlled atmosphere of sparring.

On the street, is of course a much different story, but i am gaining confdence in the skills developed and I don't feel I would use anything outside of the Kung fu training and skills in a street altercation.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Joe
01-29-2001, 02:54 AM
I have learned from experience that you need the confidence in yourself and the right atitude...or you clam up, think of the person you are fighting as the person that you are sprring for practice.Only this time try to hurt them,BAD!

Joe :cool:

obiwan
01-29-2001, 05:09 AM
In class, when sparring, let them go full out and see how long you can defend yourself without hitting them back seriously.

Eventually you will get hit. You really have to be significantly better than your opponent to fight him/her and not hit them.

Trip them, tangle them, lock them, but dont hurt them. See how long you can last!

The Force will be with you...always