PDA

View Full Version : introduction

BenjaminAZ
08-01-2003, 02:33 PM
Hello everyone, just thought it was finally time to introduce myself. I've been lurking around the forums since around the beginning of the year, but I've pretty much kept to myself. For various reasons, I figure now is a good time to say hello... :)

First off, I want to say that there have been a lot of really interesting posts since I started coming here, if you can wade though a lot of the flames and BS *lol*... Hopefully I can avoid the silly arguments and name-calling and just get down to some interesting and useful discussion on what it is that most of us seem to have in common here!

The reason I mention that is because I study at Huang's Kung Fu Academy, run by HuangKaiVun (whom many people on the board don't seem to get along with). I guess what really prompted me to post my intro was that so many people here (regardless of personal feelings for him) disbelieve that his kung fu is legit. Well, while I can't force anyone to change their mind, all I can say is that I've been studying there since December and I love it. The Sengmen style we do (which I know at least a few people have claimed was fake) is definately a legit art, and while I haven't met my sifu's sifu, I've seen home video of him practicing from a few years ago and it definately commanded respect.

As far as HuangKaiVun's *forceful* (for lack of a better word) online personality, I will admit that he does seem that way at times. I think half of the problem is that any online medium is inherently flawed when it comes to understanding subtlties of communication; that applies to anyone, not just HKV. I am not going to defend him at all, because I don't really think he needs to be defended. I've seen almost all of the regularly posters on here engage in some flaming from time to time. :p I can only hope that I will have the willpower to avoid doing the same, but I'm only human, last time I checked. :) I will say this: in person, HKV *is* a very friendly and easy going person, but one who is willing to put up rather than shut up when challenged and who has the skill to back it up.

Ahhh... Now that everything's out of the way... The actual introduction *lol*... Sorry that rant (if that's what you'd want to call it) was so long. I'm from the Phoenix, AZ metro area and pursuing a degree in mortuary science (though I already have my BA and some grad schooling in religious studies *coughworthlesscough* lol). I usually train CMA 5-6 days a week, a few hours a day. Hmmm, anything else... Nope, that's about it.

red5angel
08-01-2003, 02:36 PM
hey benjamina!! Your style sucks!!!! Your lineage chews on....oh wait,you're trying to avoid that stuff... welcome to the forums :)

BenjaminAZ
08-01-2003, 02:43 PM
That's *exactly* what I am trying to avoid... *lol*

Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

Water Dragon
08-01-2003, 02:48 PM
hi kkm

red5angel
08-01-2003, 02:52 PM
what the hell is kkm?!?!?!?

Liokault
08-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Royce would choke kkm out

Liokault
08-01-2003, 03:24 PM
helio would choke BenjaminAZ out.

yenhoi
08-01-2003, 04:21 PM
Doesnt mean HKV isent a snob or llkfd in disguise.

!

:eek:

nofx
08-01-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
what the hell is kkm?!?!?!?

need 100 posts before someone explains it

Water Dragon
08-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by nofx

need 100 posts before someone explains it

This place IS turning into the OG.