PDA

View Full Version : How to use proper technique when in a self-defence situation?

nowhesings
01-11-2001, 04:50 PM
Hi! Do you have any ideas on how to sort of internalize the Kung Fu techniques, so that when I'm threatened I won't go crazy and lose all I've learned. Doing hardcore sparring with the "red-lights on" so to speak, and then what, breaking down the techniques - or what?

I guess you know what I mean, but do you do anything constructive about it? Any tip would be great!

MASTERMAN
01-15-2001, 10:33 PM
Greetings Nowhesing,

If you are worried about going "Medevil". It sounds like you need to understand what techniques you have. What they can do and cannot do can be only accomplished by basic knowledge and practice and practice.

It is funny in my experience the more I understand what I can do with the techniques the less likely I become unglued. Talk to your instructor get that person perspective and go from there...

You Have The Power,

Dave S ;)

MonkeySlap Too
01-16-2001, 02:11 AM
Adrenal stress training is good. So is mental preperation exercises. Also very important is tens of thousands of reps.

My funniest momemt was when I pulled of a move in a real fight that I swore in training was the stupidist thing I ever saw. But I practiced it a lot because it was required. Good thing it was....

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Vankuen
01-16-2001, 08:07 AM
I think what youre speaking of is spontaneous reaction. Something I stress in training. It has been in my experience that the only way to ingrain something internally is to constantly practice it. Repetition is the key here.

Thats with any system. Muscular memory only occurs when done over and over and OVER. Thats why (masterman...) I always stress drilling over forms. ALthough the forms teach many pretty movements and fighting techniques, without applying them on a real target over and over, one will never be able to. You have to do it so much that when someone gets you when youre not "guarding", that you would automatically do it without thinking. When that happens...its good!

Tigerdragon
01-18-2001, 03:50 PM
First is meditation. I find that I become more fluent in a technique if I do nothing more then sit quietly for a short period (10 min or so) and just perform it non-top over and over in my head. This burns it into my subconcious.

Also a good drill to suggest that I was taught(listen up instuctors its a good one) is to form a technique line in class Each students stands at the front of the line and stays there until every other student and attacked once you do not call out any particular technique. Instead just have each student attack with whatever they want to attack with and you just react. If you don't react, or not in time, guess what....you get hit. This improves your thought process under pressure, and well are reflexes and reaction time.

These 2 training techniques have improved my abilities greatly.

Assumption is the mother of tragedy. Just keep and open mind, be ready, and go full force.

mcnasty
01-19-2001, 07:17 AM
I never worry about proper technique in real situations proper technique is what you do in training. when your in a real situation you should just react you should no longer be thinking all your training should take over all those techniques you've learnt and practiced should just happen with no thought on your part.
relaxation is the key here keeping a level head and awareness of your opponent/surroundings. easier said then done. a drill I like when training is to stand with my back against a wall and allow an opponent to simply attack with whatever he wants then you just react and follow up this builds confidence not only in your techniques but also in your ability to apply these techniques from a difficult position (with your back against a wall)

LiquidJaguar
01-20-2001, 02:08 AM
There are three things that can mess you up in a fight. (1)hesitaion (2)anger (3)stupidity ,these three things will make you lose a fight no matter what.The only thing that can keep this problems away is keeping cool. As long as you fight and keep calm you can win ,and if your enemy has any of the three fighting problems and you can keep your cool ,you have already won the fight.

LEGEND
01-24-2001, 10:15 PM
I encourage...ACTING SELF DEF. TRAINING...what is this??? Have your friend act as a thug then attack you...using verbal...then physical...go as realistic as possible! This training is done in the police, prison and military training! At first I was skeptical about how this can improve your fighting but this helps you MENTALLY 100%! It is true a fight can be lost mentally...so by doing this you can be more prepared...TOUGHEN!

A