PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we have more female members?

Oso
08-02-2003, 04:27 PM
and, yes. I realize that 'female member' is an oxymoron.

but anyway.

Where's that smart chick from Austin?

and I thought we had a keeper w/ Becca.

just a random thought.

Chang Style Novice
08-02-2003, 05:50 PM
Eulerfan (who's from Houston) seems to have gone and got a life. Jasmine, too (from back a ways.) Dunno about Becca.

Oso
08-02-2003, 05:56 PM
so...only male martial artists can be big enough losers to hang out here:p

Chang Style Novice
08-02-2003, 06:29 PM
So far, it's only a working theory. But then again, it's Saturday night and look at me...

Oso
08-02-2003, 06:53 PM
(raising his glass of G&T)

it all comes around, buddy, don't sweat it.

I'm not even going to get into my winter of 2001.

that was a rough dark couple of months...

Chang Style Novice
08-02-2003, 07:00 PM
(hoists cup of bourbon vaugley toward the NE)

Thanks man. At least I'm working regularly again, albeit part time in a sh!tty job. Since I've moved back in with my folks I don't have any expenses to speak of, so I can start saving a little dough and try to parlay this gig into something better and more lucrative. With a little luck, by December I'll be able to pay back the university the tuition I owe them and enrol for my final semester (at @#$%^% 34!) and finally finish my degree in the spring. Then, I wanna go to Taiwan and teach English, as you may remember. Seems like a good way to get close to some more serious Shuai Chiao and Taiji, too...

Oso
08-02-2003, 07:54 PM
sounds like a plan...I'm sure you've read "Iron and Silk".

maybe one day I'll get over there.

at least you didn't **** off the #2 person on the totem pole like I did thursday. I was a little nervous thur/fri but have decided to stand my ground and see what happens.

David Jamieson
08-03-2003, 07:36 AM
Its as simple as this.

You don't have many female members here for various reason.

1. Females comprise less than 2% of the martial arts community.

2.Too many posters here are teenage hormone repositories and can't stop themselves from being unable to communicate effectively amongst themselves, nevermind to an actual living breathing female.

3.see number 2, it has the most relevance to your question.

cheers

p.s This board is looking like the main board would if i let some of you guys have your way. And look at all the valuable content you guys have managed to dump here.

does it make sense to any of you now?

Kristoffer
08-03-2003, 07:45 AM
Wow the great Kung Lek have spoken :rolleyes:
Stop being a ****ing P.USSY and respond to my thread insted of deleting it all the time

Chang Style Novice
08-03-2003, 08:00 AM
Kung Lek - I agree the main board should stay on topic. I'd just prefer if there wasn't so much replying of reasonable specific questions with "You're just a f@g, and I'd totally kick your ass." Isn't it also a moderator's role to step in and prevent avoiding the issue in favor of personal abuse from becoming the lingua franca of the forum?

Kristoffer
08-03-2003, 08:05 AM
Oh this is BS Kung lek. "what the main board would look like". You naive ***** the main forum is full of POLITICAL threads. threads celebrating terrorists death with links to DEAD ppl. Threads religion etc etc.. And don't come and say that there are not there now, they have always been there and only now have u reacted. So don't come here and speak about what is apropriate on a forum, related to CMA etc because that's BS

David Jamieson
08-03-2003, 08:10 AM
CSN-

I delete the clearly malicious intonations whenever possible and will continue to do so.

Kristoffer- I have sent you 2 emails now. I have also sent you wanted reply to your personal email. Along with a warning to you in regards to your tactics in illiciting a response from me. Take heed of them please.

Your private message box is full, empty it so you can receive the messages here instead.

The kungfu main board will be cleared of all non related topics on a daily basis. Where there is persitant beligerance, those members who practice this stance will be banned.

This is a necessity in keeping the main forum on topic. We have let it drift to far into the realm of peeing contest and sandboxes for the discontented to air their opinions on everything except Kungfu!

regards

chen zhen
08-03-2003, 08:15 AM
:mad:

Kristoffer
08-03-2003, 08:19 AM
chen did u get my pm?

KL u can send mail or pm or whatever. I just think it's ****ty of you to not respond at all. It's not me you should argue with, it's water Dragon and many others.

chen zhen
08-03-2003, 08:22 AM
I did, and tried to pm u back, but as usual, full box.

Oso
08-03-2003, 09:03 AM
KL-where did you get your 2% figure??? I think it's higher than that just in my personal experience. You are certainly right about the general attitude of some members being a turn off to any woman of intelligence. But, if there are a bunch of ******* men here then where are the ******* women??

and since you brought it up here:

It would seem evident the KFO should provide someplace within it's environs for us to just hang out. With all of the specific topic forums staying pretty true to course it's only natural that the 'general' KF forum would be that place by default. If the publisher's and moderator's don't want that then why not just designate someplace where it's ok.

and specifically:

While the "happy birthday" threads are certainly OT, it seemed as if they were tradition and certainly harmless.

Will you explain why you thought the Alex Gong thread was OT. I truly do not understand that move.

Kristoffer
08-03-2003, 10:17 AM
Will you explain why you thought the Alex Gong thread was OT. I truly do not understand that move.

Kung lek will NOT reply to this. He's had his chance to respond to this question for 2 days. But insted he chickend out and deleted every thread that touched the subject. Now he's threatening to bann me because I demand an answer.

Oso
08-03-2003, 10:55 AM
K,
I agree with your sentiment but not you methods, bro. You and CZ and SK, as well as a couple of others, are only proving KL's case. If you guys would chill a little bit maybe we could make some headway in this issue. As it is you will only make things worse and bring down more stringent action. I doubt KL is 100% behind this as he takes direction from the publisher's. If he was told to clean things up on the main forum then so be it. If we would be allowed to hang out at ORA and post OT stuff things would be ok as far as I'm concerned. I'm just lobbying for A place to be officially designated.

Matt

chen zhen
08-03-2003, 10:59 AM
what makes u think that we stirr up more trouble?
we're just doing what we have always done.

Oso
08-03-2003, 11:09 AM
well, let's see, posting a pic of Ice Cube holding an AK-47 certainly has a negative vibe to it.

Yes, KL is being a bit heavy handed IMO, however the responses he has gotten to it are not going to get him to lighten up at all.

All he has to do now is point at you guys for validation.

Think about what you want and the best way to get it.

What 'they' want is to keep the main forum OnTopic(edit). What we want is someplace to chill and BS. You started off doing a good thing with reviving this forum. IF, you shut the hell up, maybe we can keep it as the place to do so. As it stand, you sure as hell aren't going to get tapped as moderator and probably stand a good chance of getting banned if this escalates any more.

chen zhen
08-03-2003, 11:18 AM
I wont let anything escalate. And if u might have noticed, we have a rough sense of humor down here, so stuff like that pic should'nt be seen as much else as a prank.
We have had this place as a chill-out place for a long time, and it will continue to be so. no-one can change it. I also have good relations to Gene, and that is one of the main factors for us to keep it that way.
And no, we won't shut up! When the mods start doing irrational things, then we should complain, and that is what we do.

Oso
08-03-2003, 11:21 AM
you are under the mistaken impression that this is a democracy.

i'm sure you will continue with what you are doing. hope it works out for you.

chen zhen
08-03-2003, 11:31 AM
you are under the mistaken impression that this is a democracy.

No, I'm trying to introduce it,lol

i'm sure you will continue with what you are doing.

Got that F'ing right.:cool:

hope it works out for you.

In the long run, I think it will.

quiet man
08-03-2003, 12:26 PM
I wish I had an answer as to why female members are a rare breed here, but I must honestly say I have absolutely no idea why women do (or don't do) anything. Tried so hard to figure them out just a little bit and failed miserably. I'm 25 now and have just recently accepted defeat.

I may or may not agree with any of the moderators here, and may try to talk to them about their politics, but in the end I have to accept their decisions. If I don't like it, I can leave, and if many more members start leaving, maybe the moderators will reconsider their attitudes... but as Oso said, this is not a democracy. If KL or anybody else says a thread's gotta go, then it's gotta go, period.
Both sides need to give in a little, IMHO. Just my two yuans...

:ticks the "random rant of the evening" box in his daily planer:

Ahh... my work here is done.
And hang in there, CSN, best of luck! You seem like a really decent human being.

:falls off the chair and goes into a drunken oblivion:

chen zhen
08-03-2003, 12:30 PM
:)

....:(

quiet man
08-03-2003, 12:34 PM
Why :( , CZ?

chen zhen
08-03-2003, 12:41 PM
First I thought it was good what u said, and then I remembered that some parts was a bit saddening.
U know?

Yung Apprentice
08-03-2003, 02:19 PM
Yeah, it does suck that there aren't enough women on here. It would be cool to get a woman's view on certain things. Like the thread in the StreetFIghting forum, where they were talking about teaching women grappling. That would be nice to get a woman's opinion there.

Oh yeah, whatever did happed to Becca? And what about WushuChik? She was really cool, and a lot of martial arts knowledge.

Oso
08-03-2003, 02:21 PM
What's the average percentage of women in everyone else's school?

Laughing Cow
08-03-2003, 02:25 PM
We got about 35~45% women, most of them been there now for a few years.

Seeya.

chen zhen
08-04-2003, 02:54 AM
I think there's more women in Tai Chi Chuan than in most other MA styles. At least in western countries.

Ming Yue
08-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Thought I'd chime in as a female boardie.

I read from the forums a lot, but tend not to post very often, unless I have something valid to offer. like now. yea..... I'll generally hang with a thread of interest until they degenerate into unwinnable religious arguments or someone posts a picture of a prolapsed rectum. :D

but seriously...
35-45% women in class seems unusually high to me. In my training history, I never had more than around 15% of my classmates be other women. The longer I trained the smaller that number got. In my current school I'm one of two women, and the other one, I'm afraid, is down for the count.

So you start with a smaller percentage of women, then you lose those who are unwilling or unable to hang with long-term training. Then the next to get through the filter have to be online, and computer savvy (aka charmingly geeky) enough to seek out and join in an internet forum full of very experienced and uh.. outspoken folks. The upside is, the ones that wind up here are usually knowledgeable and have some quality comments to toss in. (Becca, Euler, SA Mantis, Bates Motel and all the others I'm forgetting...)

face it, cool smart literate quasi-geeky kung fu chicks are few and far between.

:)

chen zhen
08-04-2003, 09:01 AM
Yeah, but there should be much more of them, am i right people?;)
Thanks for ur support.

*gosh*, I just found out that a woman is on the notorious ORA, with the semi-naked girl pix and all that sh!t, I hope u'r not offended..:eek::)

Ming Yue
08-04-2003, 09:13 AM
word on the street is that lately all the really interesting threads get moved here.

:cool:

chen zhen
08-04-2003, 09:16 AM
Nah, all the most interesting threads where already here..:cool:

"brink of death" is the best thread ever, along with all our contests, rap threads, etc..:D

Kristoffer
08-04-2003, 12:14 PM
Oso, I liked your post b4. I SHOULD know that this is not a center for freedom of speech. But when I get ticked off I get really ticked off. I have dealt with my short fuse all my life.(atleast it's usefull in fights) Looking back now I regret comming out so harsh on Kung Lek, I mean what the hell is it to be upset about really? A thread got moved? I should be above this kind of behaviour.

BUT.
Anyone that offends alot of people and does not explain their actions, but at the same time preach of martial virtues, can go **** themself. This is my humble opinion.

I'm gonna leave all this crap behind now and never speak about it again (avoid atleast :) )..coz I'm sick of it!

Oh and welcome to The Other Related Art Ming Yue. This is a chillout place so have a seat, listen to some music and babble away. :)

Yung Apprentice
08-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Ming Yue, have you checked out the thread called "Grappling Instruction" in the streetfighting/reality forum? It would be nice to get a woman's perspective on that subject.:)

Kristoffer
08-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Speaking of this crap I just read the 'explanaition' thread in main by KL. I'm not really sure what to make of it, I just know I don't care about the subject anymore.

Snacks anyone? :)