PDA

View Full Version : effectiveness of TKD to other arts.

KFlearner
01-14-2001, 12:47 AM
Hello all,

Hi. I am new to this forum and am very interested in the forms of Kung Fu. To start I would like to say that reading through many of these posts, many of you seem very knowledgable and helpful to others. This is a great thing and I thank you for that.

Ok now my question. I am in TKD (Taekwondo) and a Green belt at the moment. I am curious to know how effective that it might be on the street or against ohter styles like kung fu. Thank you all in advance for answering my post.

Peace

obiwan
01-14-2001, 07:30 AM
You may have noticed everyone side stepping this question cos they know it's *****ly.

Basically, because of the amount of bad schools of TKD out there, the TKD reputation is quite bad. There are just so many frauds out there teaching what little they know and claiming it as real TKD.

Also, modern TKD is different from traditional TKD. Traditional TKD had many more hand techniques. These were dropped to popularise and differentiate TKD from karate. Karate for punches and TKD for kicks was the mass media generalisation.

In my experience, (i speak for me personally ONLY)
I've never met a TKD i couldnt beat. Course i've only fought 3 or 4 too, so I have limited experience.

TKD, was just too easy to beat once you penetrate their extreme range attacks. (Those big kicks.) Up close, they're no challenge. (I reiterate, in MY experience!)

Headbutting, elbows, body slams and leg traps, the guys I fought had no defense.

I smart guy who did TKD i knew, always backed off. He couldnt beat me, but he knew not to let me into range. All he did was keep me back so that he couldnt get pummeled. Always just a faint, and then retreating.

He kenw the limitations of it, and tried to wear me down. That's about as effective as I've seen it.

Of course, some of those fancy kicks really do work, just out of surpise. You dont anticipate anyone could do the kick, so sometimes you get slammed just cause you were too busy going, "what a cool kick....BAM!"

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

The Force will be with you...always

edziak
01-14-2001, 07:39 AM
As a Wing Chun person I would try to move in on you so I could use my chain punches and prevent you from using your kicks. I'm not going to dance with you. Once I got close to you I would continue to press forward trying to get to your head area.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that If I were TKD and I knew I was fighting a Wing Chun guy I would try not to let him get in close. I would keep him within kicking range.

[This message was edited by edziak on 01-14-01 at 11:48 PM.]

KFlearner
01-14-2001, 08:08 AM
hey guys thanks for responding so quickly. I do understand that TKD is a long range MA. Let me reinerate a little on what I said earlier. Well my teacher is Korean (full) 7th dan black belt and we are traditional school. Now I do agree with you guys that it would be easy to pick me off short range. I realize this fact. Now my question is is what do you all think I should do with my martial arts experience. What I want to do is go through TKD, then find a good kung fu school, and know both. That sound good?

Ok well thanks again guys, and laters!!

KFlearner

P.S. anyone live in the seattle-bremerton area that knows of a good kung fu school?

old jong
01-15-2001, 02:44 AM
I'm teaching wing chun to a friend who is a third degree black belt in tkd. He told me many times that he loves tkd as a sport and wc as a martial art. Of course it is his opinion and you can agree or not with it. Personnaly,I respect these powerfull kicks and would never take a high level tkd'er lightly!

C'est la vie!

GinSueDog
01-15-2001, 02:50 AM
I think, depending on the way your training is in TKD it can be used with great effect. It all depends on the level of training and conditioning, plus a number of TKD schools like to mix in boxing hand work and train with heavy sparring. I have a friend that used to train with Allan Goes in BJJ and his first style was TKD and I can not picture him getting his ass kicked. It all depends.-ED

"The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

MonkeySlap Too
01-15-2001, 03:31 AM
Many CMA use very different principles for fighting strategy and power generation. Often doing TKD first can make it really hard to get the benefit from CMA. I've seen too many guys who could never get rid of the TKD body english.

rogue
01-15-2001, 05:23 AM
I don't know about that monkey slap. In TKD class tonight we were working on full body power generation, just like many CMA teach. Strategies vary from art to art even within the CMA themselves, but proper power generation is the same no matter what.

KFLerner, if you're going to a good traditional school (which are rare in the states) it's very effective against other MA and in the streets. I visited a WTF style school that kicked butt. In the end though an arts effectiveness depends totally upon the individual.

In your school what patterns do you do and how often do you spar?

obiwan
01-15-2001, 05:39 AM
That's a hard act to follow. TKD & Chinese martial arts have very different philosophies on movement.

To learn something as unrelated, to quote a great teacher, "You must unlearn what you have learned."

This very difficult. I have been to many different styles. I lose my patience very quickly before I say, "this is stupid, that doesnt make sense." Then I proceed to pummel the seniors who dont beleive me. the Sifu's rarely fight me. they have too much at stake. If they lose to me, then they will lose students.

At one Tong Bei school. I beat up the sifu. He then told me I wasnt allowed to kick because it left me vulnerable. Of course, we ended in a draw then. I couldnt beat him without the use of my legs.

That same night a student from that school left with me.

I am trying to suppress what I know, cos right now I am studying Shorinji kempo. But it's hard, because most of the moves seem sooo stupid to me.

The key is to unlearn and start again. The problem with me, is that for people who say my moves are dumb, I pummel them. They cant prove me wrong, where as i can.

5 nights ago, I sparred with a guy who did kendo for 20 years. As soon as I started to whirl my sword, he surrendered because he knew he couldnt win. I know this sounds arrogant, but I do not exaggerate. The guy lowered his sword and nodded, knowing that he couldnt win.

In contrast, that student i brought over from that school, had a hard time adjusting from 12 years of karate to kung fu. After 2 months, he adjusted and he told me how much his karate has improved because of kung fu training. He still goes to me school today, 1 year later.

So to really learn, you have to take some lumps, swallow the pride and fully embrace the style. I do for a short time before I lose my temper, I'm not a good example, it's my weakness.

But listen to Yoda, "Unlearn what you have learned!"

that's my best advice for changing systems.

The Force will be with you...always

KFlearner
01-15-2001, 07:45 AM
Hey everyone. Rogue we are a WTF school and to Tae-Geuk 1-8 and then black belt poomse which of course I have not gotten to yet. We spar every friday. I go to both classes everyday, so I get two sparring classes which is nice. I do good for my size/weight, and conditioning I guess. So if I were to (after going through TKD) start in Kung fu, which art would e most useful to add to myself? thanks again all. you too yoda!!

peace

MonkeySlap Too
01-15-2001, 08:03 AM
Rogue, you are wrong. Really.

There may be similarities, but there are significant differences. If you do not see them, your CMA teacher does not have a correct transmission of knowledge, or you are blind to it.

Saying 'full body power' does not mean anything. Chung Moo Quan guys used to say that all the time.

Find yourself a good Pi Gua teacher, or Ba Ji, or South Mantis or Chen TaiJi. You will find many, varied methods that are NOT identical to TKD training. (of course, they may not care to share this with you, which is too bad.)

This does not mean you can't be strong and tough with your TKD, but it is not what I am talking about.

No offense intended - just trying to be clear.

rogue
01-15-2001, 04:09 PM
KFLerner, Go onto the main forum and post a message to Robin. She's a 2nd degree BB in WTF and is learning a Mantis style. She'd be able to answer your questions better than I could.

Though I can't vouch for the validity of Obiwans examples, he is right about "So to really learn, you have to take some lumps, swallow the pride and fully embrace the style." I moved from JKD and Muay Thai to karate. It was only after embracing the karate that I finally got it. Before that it looked like nonsense.

MonkeySlap, what is this mystical element of movement and power generation that only the Chinese are able to do and have kept hidden for so long?
There are people in non-CMA that also understand the same principles found in CMA. It may be rare to see in the average TKD or McDojo school, but it's the above average ones that I'm talking about.

No offense taken

[This message was edited by rogue on 01-16-01 at 08:36 AM.]

UberShaman
01-15-2001, 05:38 PM
The first school I attended with really effective training was the TKD school of a Master Koong.
He was a hardcore military man who had us grappling, training with knives etc. After he closed up shop I was very dissapointed to learn this wasnt the norm in TKD

MonkeySlap Too
01-15-2001, 09:05 PM
Nothing mystical about it at all. Just different understandings of how to generate power. Go see for yourself. Descriptions are just words.

For the record, I would love to see some objective comparisons of striking power using these different methods. I have seen some pretty strong Karate strikers, and frankly Boxing punches tend to have some real oomph - although I haven't seen anyone hit as hard as Wai Lun Choi or Kai Yu. For that matter Wellem DeThouras hits incredibly hard as well.

But anyways - see for yourself. The principles often are different, and they benefit your art.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

rogue
01-15-2001, 10:49 PM
I didn't see anything superior when I took WC, or is that the exception?

MonkeySlap Too
01-16-2001, 12:22 AM
Did I say superior? No, I didn't.In fact, while I have seen extremely powerful CMA guys, I would love to develop objective tests for evaluateing these different methods of using the body to generate power. While I personally think most CMA has one up on TKD, I'd love top toss nationalistic labels aside and just look at training methods and what will produce the best, desired result.

Wing Chun, like TKD is full of posers, so I can't evaluate, really. Also one of Wing Chuns blind spots that I have observed is difficulty dealing with the kind of blitz/charging attacks that Karate/TKD men use. (No offense to Wing Chun guys, but I've seen it happen. Even Hawkkins Cheung mentioned this as being a problem in Hong Kong streetfights.)

Nontheless, there may be things you did not see/understand or your coach may not know. On the other hand, wing Chun is better known for its trapping philosophy than its power development.

Any Wing Chun guys care to comment?

Heck, I'm a CMA guy and I've had a hard time sometimes figuring out the power methods. Tough stuff.

rogue
01-16-2001, 12:59 AM
I really have to stop calling what I do TKD.

MonkeySlap Too
01-16-2001, 01:47 AM
Now that was funny...You're a good sport, Rogue.

old jong
01-16-2001, 03:29 AM
Well,in wing chun,there are the ones who chases the hands and the ones who chases the heads!

C'est la vie!

MonkeySlap Too
01-16-2001, 03:45 AM
I mean trapping in its broadest sense.

Of course, don't tell me all those drills don't exist for a reason. I mean, it trains unique skills unlike say, Pi Gua or Ba Ji. Different emphasis, no?

Not a critical statement, just an observation.

old jong
01-16-2001, 04:32 AM
Yes these drills are there for a reason.But as you get more advanced,you start to focus more and more on "trapping" the whole structure of the opponent.That's when you can zero on the objective!
It's a very simple way to explain a very difficult thing to do! ;)

C'est la vie!

rogue
01-16-2001, 04:50 AM
It may sound funny MonkeySlap but my master has stopped calling it TKD and calls it karate. He's not hiding what it is from anyone but we have more in common with Shotokan and the Okinawan styles than the WTF these days and it just makes describing it easier. I know he took a CMA a long way back and that might also be what influences his style of TKD. But I swear we're not like the other guys, really. :( C'mon guys ya gotta believe me.

[This message was edited by rogue on 01-16-01 at 09:02 PM.]

Boris
01-16-2001, 06:21 AM
There is no comparison between Tae Kwon Do and Kung Fu. Tae Kwon Do has become so diluted and messed up that it's now an Olympic sport that people laugh at when watching. Hit the target and score points? Surely, theres more purpose to a martial art than hitting regions lightly for two or three points.

Kung Fu, on the other hand no matter what style is going strength to stength. A lot of people are leaving TKD and moving to Kung Fu for a more purposeful self defence system which TKD has popularised and turned into a joke compared to what it once was

If you hold anything back, I'll kill you. If you bend the truth, or if
I think you're bending the truth, I'll kill you. If you forget
anything, I'll kill you. In fact, you're going to have to work very
hard to stay alive, Nick. I hope you understand everything

Vankuen
01-16-2001, 07:55 AM
I have experience in both TKD and wing chun. I studied tae kwon do for a couple of years, and have been doing wing chun off and on since I was in high school (my brother is the one that taught me but Ive been moving due to my job. So learning new info is far in between, but practice of what I do know is constant.)

Anyway, I must say that these two styles are almost like yin and yang in their structure. They emphasize different things altogether, range and technique.

I have found that being able to kick from just about any angle is a great skill and can help both far and near (no one said tae kwon do kicks were always high...). Ive found in wing chun that simplicity is the key and that controlling the opponent is a great help.

So my conclusion is this. Why not combine the two? Thats what I did, and so far, Ive no complaints. Instead of worrying about what style can beat what style, get an all around martial education so that you are well rounded, and at least familiar with what other people do, so that you can minimize the suprize of anyones attacks. Knowledge is power in this case.

MonkeySlap Too
01-16-2001, 08:59 AM
Mostly I just want to spur on Rogue's 1,000th post...

Rogue - I can beleive that, as my favorite TKD guy from Korea wasn't even a TKD guy but a kickboxer who fought in Thailand. Lotsa people use the TKD name. Lots of branches to that tree.

Most of my gripes against TKD have been centered around mistruths propogated by Korean instructors. Not against dedicated martial artists. It just happens to be my opinion that TKD is pretty flawed as a combat art. This does not mean that somewhere there are dedicated TKD students studyiong and researching ways to make the art more martial. I'm just not into reinventing the wheel. Millions of Chinese warriors died so I don't have to. What a product endorsement.

For that matter, I'm not sure TKD was EVER anything very complex. Built out of Shotokan Karate and turned into a sport and morale builder for the ROC army. Even the Korean government classifies it as a sport, not a martial art.

Now, there isn't anything wrong with that, it is just what it is. Maybe you do something else. Heck, I'd love to see what you practice someday.

Kyo Sa Nim Moore
01-17-2001, 02:59 AM
If you are trained by an experienced traditional Master it won't matter which martial art you decide to practice. What many of the practitioners who have responded have failed to mention is that there are many Kung-Fu frauds with small schools out there just trying to make a buck.

I train in Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan, the more traditional martial art of Korea, which has many Japanese and Chinese martial influences. I train under an 8th Dan Korean Grandmaster, and he has told us many times that at the highest levels of any martial art a well-trained Master will be able to adapt to any situation. To further this notion, we train in response to many varying attacks (close and ranged).

Look for a Tang Soo Do school... there are less fake ones out there because it is a less well-known art than either TKD or Kung-Fu.

James Moore
3rd Dan, International Tang Soo Do Association

MonkeySlap Too
01-17-2001, 07:12 AM
I hate to burst your bubble, but TSD isn't that impressive. 'more traditional' god forbid I defend TKD, but other than empty words on the web, I have seen no evidence of TSD being anything other than another Korean take off of Shotokan Karate.

As far as higher levels go, go pick a fight with a skilled high school wrestler and see how well you fare.

Different martial arts do teach different things better. For instance, pre FMA training I would of got my behind handed to me in a weapons match. CMA just does not prepare you the same way. This myth that everything is equal is an unfortunate by product of self esteem versus performance based education. Now, I would agree that the individual fighter can make a big difference, but training methods count a great deal too. There are reasons athletes in certain countries perform better than ones from other countries. For that matter in combat a 'secret' technique can really help - if your opponent hasn't anticipated the move in training, he is toast.

So don't feel bad if I chuckle at TSD. I am sure you are a fine person, but please, don't beleive everything you hear. And if you wonder why I chuckle at TSD just look at the books out on it - I mean come on. Try the high school wrestler test. It might change your preceptions a bit.

rogue
01-17-2001, 08:26 PM
"I'm just not into reinventing the wheel. Millions of Chinese warriors died so I don't have to. What a product endorsement."

Do I really have to say it? Ok, I will anyway. That's like giving kudos to all the people that bought Hugos. Personally I'd rather learn what the survivors knew! :D

"For that matter, I'm not sure TKD was EVER anything very complex. Built out of Shotokan Karate and turned into a sport and morale builder for the ROC army. Even the Korean government classifies it as a sport, not a martial art."

I'm learning that's there's more to Shotokan/old TKD than meets the eye. There's a lot of things (throws, breaks, pressure points and ever strikes) in the kata that are obvious once you know what to look for. It may not be complex but it's definatly not simple.

Many MA suffer from being used as a military moral booster, but that doesn't take away from an arts effectiveness. BJJ is being taught to some military units as a moral booster, is it now relagated to being ineffective?

Sport TKD and TKD/karate aren't even the same animule, so I can't discuss that.

Kyo Sa Nim Moore
01-17-2001, 09:00 PM
First of all MonkeySlap Too, you clearly haven't read much in-depth literature concerning Tang Soo Do and Soo Bahk Do. These martial arts are 60% Okinawan, 30% Northern Shaolin, and 10% Southern Shaolin - thus taking many aspects from both the Okinawan/Japanese traditions and the Chinese traditions. In other words, Tang Soo Do is a living art and has continually evolved to incorporate new forms of offensive and defensive strategies that Tae Kwon Do has overlooked to focus more on solely the kicking emphasis.

Chuck Norris, Billy Blanks, and many other prize fighting martial artists were Tang Soo Do practitioners who could hold their own against any BJJ, Wing Chun, or other martial artist.

Even those that criticize every aspect of Tae Kwon Do, often respect Tang Soo Do as an exception because of its stringent training methods and emphasis on learning to defend against many varying angles of attack.

The main point, however, is that a Master of any of these martial arts has an equal chance against a Master of another martial art. The chief idea behind martial arts is to be able to defend against an unpredictable opponent with speed and precision. A Master from any art should be able to do this.

Robinf
01-17-2001, 10:52 PM
Sorry to get in so late, KFLearner. Thanks, rogue, for giving me a good thought.

KFLearner,

TKD is equally fine for self-defense. Pay attention to your forms. Though, I will admit that just doing the TaeGuk poomse can get awfully boring. I suggest getting at least getting to your first dan black belt before you take on another art. And, more advice, when you take on the second art, keep it seperate.

I'm in my seventh year of TKD and my third anniversary for Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu is next month. I keep both seperate and I see a lot of similarities and a lot of differences. I take both because I'm in love with both, not because either one is difficient--they are sufficient for me.

I would suggest finding a Kung Fu that compliments an aspect of TKD but is not close to it. Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu with Tam Tui is a good compliment because it conditions the leg with low, low, low stances and one-legged squat kicks. Other kung fu styles might compliment TKD--monkey style (fast footwork), five animals, and so on. I don't know enough about Wing Chun's moves to know if it would compliment TKD or get confused with it. Personally, I like having something entirely different.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

MonkeySlap Too
01-17-2001, 11:07 PM
I'm not talking about 'another master', I'm talking about a skilled HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLER.

And I have investigated TSD/SBD - bwah-ha-ha!! I think everyone should practice it. {snicker} It'll make the world safer for me.

How do you define your percentages? That sounds so precise. It is just annoying because I have seen so many Korean stylists play the China card because it helps them sell to the rubes.

I would not be surprised if more knowledge is being 'discovered' in your arts, as a lot of legit stuff is now available on video tape.

All I ask you are two things - Do you fight with your forms? Have you fought with a high school wrestler yet?

Oh, and I apologize if I sound snide - I just have years of lies fostered by TKD/TSD groups boiling up in me. Call like I see it. Maybe you see it different.

rogue
01-18-2001, 05:02 AM
Welcome Kyo Sa Nim Moore, don't let Monkey slap get to you. After all he has recently admited to studying the art practiced by a losing side. ;)

I know zip about TSD, so how about filling us in.
What Okinawan styles does it draw from and has it retained any of the kata? I'd think Naihanchi/Tekki would be in there as that seems to be one of the most important to the Okinawan styles.

Monkey Slap, what style of Tae Bo are you doing now? I hear that the Tae bo live tape is *****in!
:D

KFlearner
01-18-2001, 09:10 AM
Well for one I didn't think that this would get this many posts. Wow.

Ok I do plan on going to 1st, or 2nd dan black belt in TKD, then that is when I really want to go for a style of Kung fu. I figure, strong footwork and kicking, combined with strong blocking, jabbing and punching will suit me well!!!

well thank you all!!

lataz,
kflearner

Kyo Sa Nim Moore
01-18-2001, 09:32 PM
Ok, in response to MonkeySlap's comments first. I have fought both college wrestlers and BJJ practitioners, and have fared well against both of them. The problem with most TKD artists is that they have a set of strategies to use against only other TKD artists, rather than adapting to their opponent.

Wrestlers tend to move in very fast, but if you are a skilled TSD martial artist you will learn to kick harder and faster than they can move in. We also focus on the joint locks, arm bars, leg bars, etc. of Hap Ki Do which are effective if you are taken to the ground.

Of course there are many fake TSD and TKD instructors and schools out there - the same goes with Kung-Fu, but if you are trained by an experienced Master you will see the true effectiveness of every martial art.

Those percentages I gave come directly from the Founder of Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan, GM Hwang Kee. There is no way to verify the exact percentages, but they seem accurate because there are many Hyungs (forms in Korean) that are based on Shaolin Kung-Fu (mainly Long Fist).

There are Naihanji forms (from the Okinawan traditon) in Tang Soo Do, but some schools have translated their names into Korean - so they are called Keemah forms now. These are very characteristic of the Shotokan style forms. Whereas, the forms such as Bassai (snake style form) are very quick and aerobic in nature - similar to some styles of Kung-Fu.

MonkeySlap Too
01-18-2001, 09:50 PM
Never one to think I know it all (but I won't agree just to make nice, I have this thing about honesty), and not one to be bothered by Rogues churlish Tae Bo inference, I'd like to see if there is Video anywhere of the Long Fist as practiced by TSD.

Having met TSD practitioners, I have a hard time seeing how the principles of these two arts could blend. My assumption would be that the TSD version of Long Fist would be Long Fist motions with TSD principles.

Just curious.

Kyo Sa Nim Moore
01-19-2001, 01:08 AM
There is a hyung called 'So Rim Jang Kwon' which is an advanced Dan level hyung. It translates from Korean into 'Shaolin Long Fist' and it uses many of the movements that I've seen advanced Shaolin Long-Fist practitioners use. Another Kung-Fu related hyung in TSD is 'Tae Geuk Kwan' which translates into 'Grand Ultimate Fist' which is related to Tai Chi-Chuan forms.

Most likely your friends are not trained by a very knowledgeable Master or are not very advanced. I'm a 3rd Dan about to test for 4th Dan (Master) and have been training in TSD for 15 years. I speak out of experience, not ignorance.

Kyo Sa Nim Moore
01-19-2001, 01:13 AM
There is a hyung called 'So Rim Jang Kwon' which is an advanced Dan level hyung. It translates from Korean into 'Shaolin Long Fist' and it uses many of the movements that I've seen advanced Shaolin Long-Fist practitioners use. Another Kung-Fu related hyung in TSD is 'Tae Geuk Kwan' which translates into 'Grand Ultimate Fist' which is related to Tai Chi-Chuan forms.

Most likely your friends are not trained by a very knowledgeable Master or are not very advanced. I'm a 3rd Dan about to test for 4th Dan (Master) an

rogue
01-19-2001, 03:27 AM
Aw c'mon Monkey I'm just having fun with ya. Anyway one day you might want to take up the martial arts and that Tae Bo will come in handy. :D

Hey did you read all of that link I posted to you?
If not scroll on down it you'll get a laugh out of it.

MonkeySlap Too
01-19-2001, 03:45 AM
Actually there is a high level form in Tae Bo called 'ow I popped my knee'. I think it comes from TKD...I speak from experience...

01-19-2001, 06:31 AM
I think it would be very diffucult to "serve two masters at the same time" so to speak. Then again there are vast difference between Northern & Southern KF styles.

For example a freind of mine has been able to train in TDK as well as Wing Chun. Both styles don't require the sophsticated waist movements as in the Northern Syles.

My background had been in TDK. The first go i had atMantis was very very difficult. The main problem was the "stiffness" in TDK (you'll know what I mean once you start training in Northern KF) was really working against the KF system.

Nevertheless, the stifness was purged after a 5+ years of absence from martial arts (due to unrelated reasons) which during that time I trained in free style partner dancing (modern Jive).

So looking back - I don't thnink TKD really helped that much. True it taught the basic stances but that's about it. From my persepctive mantis is by far a more efficient system. Oh BTW the training method is just as important - got to make sure that it is consistent with the objectives of the style ( but that's another topic for discussion).

All the best in your search. Listen to Obiwan - he is a more accomplished Jedi than I!

Ego Maximize!

joedoe
02-10-2001, 04:59 AM
My answer to the original question is this:

It doesn't matter what style you do, it is the practitioner (amd the teacher) that makes a difference. If you are good at TKD, and have a talent for fighting, then you could just as easily beat a Wing Chun practitioner, and vice versa.

I once met a guy who combined TKD with a Southern kung fu style (kicks from TKD, hands from the kung fu style) and he was an awesome fighter.

Just pick what works best for you - it is difficult to say that one style is better than another.