PDA

View Full Version : Gung fu training and drills (for fighting skills)

Vankuen
01-14-2001, 08:31 PM
I have studied both northern and "southern" shaolin systems. One main thing I noticed was the differences in how they progressively teach to become better fighters in those prospectice arts. What are some of the drills (from whatever gung fu you study) that you use to learn and progress in your art?

MASTERMAN
01-15-2001, 10:44 PM
Hi Vankuen,

I not a Kung Fu practitioner. But to answer your question from my point of view I believe in application is the "key" not just drills.

Always practice what has been taught with a partner excute like it is the real thing. No matter if it is a simple combo or series of defense and counters... reality is key.

You Have The Power,

Dave S :cool:

HuangKaiVun
01-21-2001, 12:50 PM
Meditation and solo set practice are two of the most effective "drills", as has been proven repeatedly over the centuries.

LEGEND
01-23-2001, 11:18 PM
LIGHT CONTACT, MEDIUM CONTACT AND FULL CONTACT SPARRING! wear protection...standup and grappling...

A

nospam
02-02-2001, 03:30 AM
The best drill is practising the basics or the first movements from the first pattern until you can effectively (with form) use them in a dynamic 2-person scenario- hey, this should, can and if you think about it MUST be accomplished. Why learn more if all you are doing is enhancing your cardio work? Just how many ways is there to successfully use a punch??

Then again, for many students, they enjoy the pretty movements and the feeling of a good sweat during and after doing patterns. That's ok. But I would hesitate saying you are learning kung fu. Perhaps modified wushu.

Yup. That's just about the way I see it.

HopGar
02-03-2001, 04:53 AM
I do Hop Gar Kung Fu, to train, I usually do every possible move that I know about 30-40 times. I would suggest doin the moves over and over again. Good luck

ZSK

RFM
02-05-2001, 11:08 PM
Noodle Boy, some of the best drills that can be used other than solo forms are two-man forms. Whether with weapons or empty handed, two-man forms allow you to properly gauge your distance and balance as you work with another partner.

Because two-man forms are just that, form sets, there are no surprises. In sparring, there is the unexpected that you train for, in two-man forms/drills, your focus is on form.

Peace,
Bob

From One Thing, Know Ten Thousand.

Daedalus
02-06-2001, 11:29 PM
Find people who are better than you and spar them.
Kick the kicker, punch the puncher, and grapple the grappler.
Personally, I've always enjoyed contact multiple opponent drills. They are fun and you learn alot. Get everyone suited up in protective gear and have a free for all, everyone versus everyone.

Vankuen
02-19-2001, 08:03 PM
I appreciate the replies thus far, and thank you for your candor. This post was simply to compare and share how your style works to make its students better. Not so much for generalized methods on telling "me" how to train. And as far as me being a noodle boy, you better hope I never see you again there Sifu...by the way, when are you coming back to SA?