PDA

View Full Version : Arrogance and Kung Fu

Boris
01-16-2001, 06:58 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm new here. Let me know what you think, but do you need to be arrogant to be a good Kung Fu fighter? Bruce Lee was arrogant as are many good fighters. Do you need an ego to fight.

Boris

If you hold anything back, I'll kill you. If you bend the truth, or if
I think you're bending the truth, I'll kill you. If you forget
anything, I'll kill you. In fact, you're going to have to work very
hard to stay alive, Nick. I hope you understand everything

Vankuen
01-16-2001, 07:43 AM
Funny you should mention that. Most of the gung fu men Ive met and heard of are of great humility. Its uncommon for one without the right morals and attitude to make it far in the martial arts.

As with anything however...there are exceptions to the rule. I think that the attitude really can be a seperate thing to fighting skill. For example, look at people like Mike Tyson? Is he what you would call a humble person? No. Is he a good fighter? Yes.

In my times I have met people that, to me, were not of the right character. what I tend to do is ignore them, and let them be on their way. If they persist...then I teach them the way. This way is harder or easier, depending on their attitude towards learning. But to get back onto the subject, no, you dont have to have an ego to be good in gung fu. In fact the opposite is true. You will never learn what Gung fu truly has to offer unless your sifu/sigong sees that you are worthy of it.

HuangKaiVun
01-16-2001, 03:20 PM
To me, arrogance is a show of self-confidence that actually covers one's actual insecurity.

Bruce Lee, to me, was NOT arrogant. He had good reason to be supremely self-confidence in his limitations and weaknesses as well as strengths.

One DOES need an ego to do ANYTHING WELL.

Muhammad Ali said it best: "It ain't arrogance if you can DO IT".