PDA

View Full Version : Wong Tournament 2003

Jowbacca
08-04-2003, 07:34 AM
This Saturday, August 2nd we hosted the Wong 2003 Kung Fu Tournament at the Hyatt Hotel in Washington DC Chinatown.

All-in-all the tournament ran pretty smoothly.

I'd really like to thank all the judges and competitors who came out to make the event a success. Whatever work we do behind the scenes; without judges and competitors there is no tournament.

Jowbacca
08-04-2003, 07:37 AM
For those who scoffed at the injury rate of the continuous sparring: in my ring alone there were 3 or 4 DQs on blood; including a busted nose (I think that's what happens when the nose bleeds from the top and the bottom), a black eye or two, and an iced up (sprained? broken?) arm. Next ring over, I swear this dude got KO'd or a decent concussion. No stretchers this year that I saw, but we were tryin to avoid that. I think if people are going to spar with that "hurt 'em" mentality then they really should do full contact.

Suntzu
08-04-2003, 09:00 AM
BEST HOTEL LOBBY>>>>> EVER!!!!!:D cool lion dance... also... :rolleyes: ;) :D... just make sure... next year that the hamburgers are DONE... worse 4.50 i EVER spent...

Jowbacca
08-04-2003, 09:13 AM
Yah I'm sorry bout the food. We had absolutely no control over that. We did what we could for the judges.

Also, I guess *technically* it wuzn't in chinatown; but don't ask me geography, I'm from Baltimore. ;) BSS baby! :D

brothernumber9
08-04-2003, 09:23 AM
D.C. doesnt even have a chinatown any more, there's the overpass architecture thing, cheng's, go lo's, and several more restaurants and stores that cover about two square blocks. But anyone visiting and looking on maps for chinatown won't find it. Even the subway just calls it gallery place now. Its really just becoming a restaurant entertainment area for the business district and MCI centre with remnants of what it was a long time ago.

Jowbacca
08-04-2003, 09:28 AM
Yah, just walking through there gets my sihings sad. Don't even try to get them into that Hooter's or the Fuddrucker's; they'll go on a rant if they even walk by the front door.

Woulda liked to have seen it in the old days.

These days I hear everyone that was there spread out around Virginia and Maryland.

Guess that's what happens when real estate values and property taxes skyrocket & destroy a community. :(

brothernumber9
08-04-2003, 09:31 AM
But the tournament was interesting. I could be wrong but it seemed that loong fu pai school from NY was taking alot of the sparring divisions, at least for the time I was there. The tricks for the lion dance were excellent, those guys have really improved and Ly Ling still showed she plays some of the best drum anywhere. What was the rule on face contact? I saw one of Sifu Hoy Lee's or Sifu Middleton's students getting pummeled but would'nt hit the other guy back in the face. I didn't see any of the forms divisions. anybody know how they went?

Sihing Tom
08-04-2003, 09:37 AM
Jow,

It was an excellent tournament, you guys did a great job!
I especially like the new venue.

I was assigned to judge the Wing Chun at Ring 7. During the sparring, one of the competitors got rocked with a punch to his jaw. He dropped to his knees, fortunately he was not seriously injured. We also had our share of bloody noses. As a result of the level of intensity, we repeatedly told the competitors to tone it down a notch. We all understand, that in the heat of battle, adrenaline kicks in, and things get out of hand. Otherwise, everyone showed excellent sportsmanship.

Please extend my thanks to Sifu Wong for a great and very professional tournament. I look forward to being there next year.

Sifu Tom Chez

Jowbacca
08-04-2003, 09:38 AM
Was supposed to be no face contact, only side of the head.

I remember seeing the Loong Fu Pai school warming up and remember thinking that they were very "motivated"; but I don't think any were in my ring and I'm not really aware of how they did overall.
I'm sure the results will appear in a future issue of KFQ, and probably our website so from that you might be able to get a general idea of how they did; or maybe not.

Props to the Jow Ga guy sufferin to stay within the bounds of the rules; but that's the exact reason I personally refuse to do anymore continuous sparring.

Jowbacca
08-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Sifu Tom
Hey! Thanks again for all the hard work this weekend! I'll make sure to pass along the word.

I was the human ring rope between 5 and 7. :D
Seemed like anytime a judge got done warning a competitor on contact, they'd turn around and hit harder. I KNEW the Shaft music would probly get 'em too excited. :p

Sihing Tom
08-04-2003, 09:45 AM
Jowbacca,

Was the tournament videotaped? If so, I would love to get a copy so that I can see all the good stuff that I missed while judging.

Sifu Tom Chez

Jowbacca
08-04-2003, 09:48 AM
Sifu Tom
We had a camera going, but I'm not sure how long it was on and how much we got. I'll let sifu know that people were interested in the tape next time I see him and try to get back to you via email.

ShifuBinks
08-04-2003, 09:40 PM
A great time was had by all...Eric your lion dance was awesome!

I think if people are going to spar with that "hurt 'em" mentality then they really should do full contact

I too have forsaken continuous sparring for this very reason...The only good thing I can say about continuous sparring is that helps guys make the transition from point sparring to full contact, but at the same time I have seen it develop some bad habits in myself...you worry about punching the guy a million times w/o worrying about getting knocked out, though you may still get hit very hard...continuous isn't even fun to watch...

But that is my only gripe with said tournament...overall it was a great event...

mysteri
08-05-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by brothernumber9
But the tournament was interesting. I could be wrong but it seemed that loong fu pai school from NY was taking alot of the sparring divisions, at least for the time I was there. The tricks for the lion dance were excellent, those guys have really improved and Ly Ling still showed she plays some of the best drum anywhere. What was the rule on face contact? I saw one of Sifu Hoy Lee's or Sifu Middleton's students getting pummeled but would'nt hit the other guy back in the face. I didn't see any of the forms divisions. anybody know how they went?

hey bro, i wonder which one of my sifu's guys kept gettin hit in the face? must've been in the beginners division which i didn't really watch cuz i would imagine any other of the more senior guys losin their patience(like my sihing did in orlando 2000, poor poor opponent..)

actually, i myself fought in the intermediate divison and i remember specifically askin right before if u were allowed to hit to the face if they had a full face mask(since it seemed so in the rules) and my judge told me no. i wore a full-face mask and had a great time sweepin through my division(until the last guy decided to try his "my-nose-to-ur-fist style"!) and i got DQ'ed. accidently of course, i hate havin to hit people to the nose.. its too easy. that's actually the only gripe i have about this type of sparrin is that to face attacks are some of the most essential to fightin as they assisst very much in attackin. i got to spar w/ full-face gear, chest protector, footpads, cut-finger gloves and a cup(and mouthpeice of course). i wish everyone could have had this, it woulda sure made the divisions a lot more interestin. i didn't mind gettin hit in the facecage, though it rarely happened(i even encouraged them to try to!). i like to counter these types of attacks. the reason i wore it was b/c i knew that eventually things could get out of hand and i didn't want to have to really go buck on someone.

sihing tom-i gotta question for ya. i observed the WC division and was very happy to see it in tournaments bein promoted more. the only division i didn't agree w/ was the WC open chi sau(?) in which the competitors wore face cages and hand gear and couldn't kick. this didn't seem to be very productive and the competitors seemed to get easily frustrated w/ the frequent clashin. i saw a judge( i think) try to demonstrate what could be done to remedy this, but i think the simple point overlooked was why not jus encourage the WC guys to free-spar in the other divisions? i did see one WC fighter in a lightweight divison against(i think) a HG(?) guy(and his WC was pretty okay against it.) was i missin an essential point to it? i jus don't think that WC vs WC fights would be very productive and may jus really make the fighters adopt bad habits. i did understand more the chi sau, where the players were already bridged and were testin eachothers bridge. i'd like to know ur (or anyone else's) opinion to it as i guess that maybe i'm jus confused by its objective. thanx in advance.

Jowbacca
08-05-2003, 05:35 AM
Yah I get in trouble for my views on continuous sparring ALL the time. :o

Hey Mysteri-
I was one of the two score keepers in the intermediate ring. Which competitor were you?

Sihing Tom
08-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by mysteri

sihing tom-i gotta question for ya. i observed the WC division and was very happy to see it in tournaments bein promoted more. the only division i didn't agree w/ was the WC open chi sau(?) in which the competitors wore face cages and hand gear and couldn't kick. this didn't seem to be very productive and the competitors seemed to get easily frustrated w/ the frequent clashin. i saw a judge( i think) try to demonstrate what could be done to remedy this, but i think the simple point overlooked was why not jus encourage the WC guys to free-spar in the other divisions? i did see one WC fighter in a lightweight divison against(i think) a HG(?) guy(and his WC was pretty okay against it.) was i missin an essential point to it? i jus don't think that WC vs WC fights would be very productive and may jus really make the fighters adopt bad habits. i did understand more the chi sau, where the players were already bridged and were testin eachothers bridge. i'd like to know ur (or anyone else's) opinion to it as i guess that maybe i'm jus confused by its objective. thanx in advance.

Mysteri,

You brought up excellent points. Upon Sifu Wong's request, this was the first time a separate Wing Chun division was being given. I was asked by him to co-manage it. Being that it was the first true time, there was a great deal of things that needed ironing out. Due to the lack of time, we were unable to do so. But for the next tournament, there will be major changes. Such as eliminating "Wing Chun" sparring when the competitors can go and compete in open sparring with other styles. Thus, allowing the Wing Chun competitor to test their skills against unpredictable opponents.

The Chi Sau event was not about fighting, that is what sparring is for. The objective is to test sensitivity, body positioning and alignment, control of the centerline and the ability to control and manipulate your opponent. We made certain that the competitors did not turn the event into "gorilla" Chi Sau, a wrestling match. We enforced the fact that the competitors remained bridged. When one competitor showed good control of the other opponent, we have them break and reset themselves. This made for a better, controlled event. This was done after the first two competitors of the event, made things get out of hand. It was certainly a work in progress.

Sifu Tom Chez

Shaolinlueb
08-05-2003, 08:05 AM
the tourny was great. I liked it.
Not too many people listened to the no contact to the face rule in the sparring though. a lot of the ones seemed like slap fests too. I was in ring 5 performing. I did northern hand forms and a weapons for intermediate.

I liked the tournament, the Jow Ga Schools were good at performing. Some of the forms from other schools, I was disapointed in watching though. some people looked like they were just walking through it, no power in their punches and no spirit and intensity when performing. And they were scoring high. But it wasn't me to judge so i just looked on. I was happy. I got a 2nd in the long weapons and 4th in hand forms. I will be back next year.

brothernumber9
08-05-2003, 09:17 AM
does anyone know who won men's advanced open hand? was there any kind of grandchampionship?

No_Know
08-05-2003, 09:29 AM
How much was it? Perhaps I would listen better and get to go to watch next year

ngokfei
08-05-2003, 09:31 AM
Yep alot of heavy fighting at wong's thisyear. Its a pitty that alotof the bruisers don't have the guts or desire to put their skills on the line in a SanShou ring.

Hey, why not throw a SanShou Tournament next year alongisde of the regular tournament.

Since the WushuUnion has dropped it from their tournament I can almost certainly bet that there would be a huge tournout, especially since they can't throw this kind of event in NY anymore.

eric

Jowbacca
08-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Shaolinlueb

You were in my ring. :D I probably saw you perform, though later on I was bouncing between 3 and 5.

Personally I thought everyone did great. Only thing I noticed was those poor guys who's nerves made 'em forget their forms; that's gotta be my biggest fear about gettin up there to compete.

Like I said, I'm biased in my opinion of Continuous, and I get in lots of trouble for it. (Hearing the pushups calling to him in the background)

ngokfei

I personally would love to see san shou in the tourney, but I don't have much say. On top of that, the insurance costs make it pretty prohibitive. Keepin my fingers crossed, but doubt it could happen.

Know_No

I think this year was $60 all you can compete. Next year's prices should be similar (although possibly higher).

brothernumber9

One more question for me to ask next time I call sifu. Work's gonna be sending me to new and interesting places, so I'm gonna be away from the school for a while. I'll ask when I call.

mysteri
08-05-2003, 12:11 PM
jowbacca-

actually, i met u the night before when u first checked into ur hotel room. i was the younger, light-skinned guy w/ reggie(the darker skinned guy). i didn't quite feel the need to reveal myself to u @ that time(sorry :) ). so u saw me the next day in ur ring sparrin the intermediates. i had black pants(white stripe down side), chest protector, black headgear and cutfinger gloves. u prolly saw my "cougar leap(s)" or "tiger tail kick(s)" takin their toll on the competition. i got DQ'ed near one of the last matches u might recall. if u remember me next time, feel free to approach me. u may also remember me bein one of the one's distracted by a WC judge then "chokin" in my form :) (i never quite regaineed composure). the judges allowed me to repeat w/ no penalty(twice actually) but i could never quite regain my focus. i had already injured my left hand days before the tournament and it killed me enough to fight through it durin sparrin(very swollen), so i decided to humbly retire myself and enjoy watchin the rest of the tournament, which i did! :)

sihing tom-

thanx for the reply. i think that the officials in the WC ring did a great job and i see that we agree on certain points. work in progress is good and i think it did run smoothly all things considered. the chi sau even did seem to be well-controlled. i do look foward to competin against some WC fighters next year.

shaolinlueb-

i agree w/ u about a lot of the competitors. but to me i thought the judges did a good job recognizin the different levels of intensity in the forms performed.

ngokfei-

as for us "heavy fighters", guts or desire have little to do w/ why i haven't competed in san shou. moreso that opportunity doesn't quite present itself very often. i think continuous "light contact" was a good transition for me since i haven't competed in a few years. of course, it doesn't require NEAR as much stamina :) and i got to see what the competition is like now. of course next year i'll have to compete in the advanced division(they seemed to be more competitive). i remember seein a few guys w/ busted and broken noses, a real fight and a near knockout. i do have to admit i got much more trainin to do for san shou, but a year is more than enough time for me. so thanx for the advice and how to see u/ur school there. good luck.

Jowbacca
08-05-2003, 12:29 PM
mysteri

Woah cool! Nice to know who yah are. You were smart getting out of that room before the nose orchestra begain. I SWEAR those guys were unconsciously trying to harmonize their snoring.

I thought you fought well and guess I didn't realize you were DQ'd- you still won somethin no?

Felt real bad about the forms part. Like I said, that's my worste fear in competing: to get up there and just not click.

Was sooooo tired Saturday after all that, I didn't wake up until like 6pm on Sunday.

Shaolinlueb
08-05-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by mysteri

shaolinlueb-

i agree w/ u about a lot of the competitors. but to me i thought the judges did a good job recognizin the different levels of intensity in the forms performed.

The judges did do a very good job judging. It was fair and there was a lot of good talent. I was jsut surprised i saw a lot of what i was talking about with the no spirit and such.

Originally posted by Jowbacca
Shaolinlueb

You were in my ring. :D I probably saw you perform, though later on I was bouncing between 3 and 5.

Personally I thought everyone did great. Only thing I noticed was those poor guys who's nerves made 'em forget their forms; that's gotta be my biggest fear about gettin up there to compete.

Like I said, I'm biased in my opinion of Continuous, and I get in lots of trouble for it. (Hearing the pushups calling to him in the background)

yeah I was in intermediate northern 18-35. had the shaolin vest on and no sash. there was that toher school there and the two kids had vests on, everyone was talking to us like we were from same school and such, it was kind of funny, got 4th in that. and intermediate long weapons 18-35. I changed the shirt to the home made southern shirt and did a staff form, got 2nd in it.

which judge where you? you said you were the wall between the wing chung and ring 5. were you reading off the scores and stuff?

Jowbacca
08-06-2003, 04:35 AM
Shaolinlueb
Yah, not a judge I was just one of the score and time keepers. Shaved head? or did yah have hair? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong school.

Shaolinlueb
08-06-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Jowbacca
Shaolinlueb
Yah, not a judge I was just one of the score and time keepers. Shaved head? or did yah have hair? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong school.

i had very little hair. and a nice scar on the back. i was from Pioneer Valley Martial Arts.

Jowbacca
08-07-2003, 05:07 AM
Shaolinlueb

I remember yah now. :) Sorry we didn't get to meet there. Nice forms tho. If yah see me next year, don't be afraid to smack me upside the head. :D