PDA

View Full Version : No San Shou at USWU!?!?!

Suntzu
08-04-2003, 08:39 AM
that sux... my weekend plans are ow ruined... see ya in Nov...

and yes Henny for Gong this weekend... :(

*off to get a slice of cake*:D

lkfmdc
08-04-2003, 08:44 AM
come to NJ in November, it is gonna ROCK HARD.... seriously, for a first year event, I am getting mad response

USWU is sad, but nothing we can do about it

Suntzu
08-04-2003, 08:52 AM
Gladly :D ... to bad Jon wont be able to participate... but Brazil shouldn't be too much of a step down for the lovely state of NJ...

Brad
08-04-2003, 02:06 PM
What happened to USWU San Shou? I thought everything was all worked out...

GLW
08-05-2003, 05:39 AM
To clarify:

from the USWU forum:

"Sanshou was planned and scheduled. We obtained the insurance that we needed, contracted to have a boxing ring delivered and set up, and invited every sanshou school and team we could think of.

Then, as of the day before yesterday, we had received responses from only two sanshou judges, and had only three men and two women registered to compete.

The NY sanshou team had expressed that they intended to come to the event, but we had not received their registration yet, so Chas e-mailed them to tell them how things stood and see what they were doing. Upon learning that there were so few competitors registered, the NY team decided that it didn't make any sense for them to come, stating that there would probably be no matches for most of their team members.

With only one possible match among the five registrants, we had no choice but to decide to cancel the sanshou event. We'll eat some expenses, but what can we do? We can't have it if no one wants to attend.

Luckily, the two women registered will still be able to do push hands, for which they are registered. The three men registered were not travelling from a terribly great distance, so I hope they will not have been too teribly incovenienced.

So there you have it. It's pretty disappointing considering the difficulty we went through to find an insurer and a ring, but that's life, I guess.

The official announcement is set to be posted on the event website this evenining when registration officially closes. We just wanted to take a day to contact those who had already registered for sanshou before putting up the official announcement. "

So....Bottom Line for the future.

The USWU ponied up and DID Support Sanshou with their event.

In fact, they lost money on the deal even before the competition took place since they paid for insurance, deposits, and the time and effort to do it all.

So, remember this in the future if they seem a bit hesitant to schedule Sanshou at an event.

If they schedule it, folks need to show up...or it will NOT be scheduled in the future. If the Sanshou community wants it to be included next time, they need to communicate this to the USWU and also help to make sure that judges and fighters will attend if it is on the schedule.

I think they deserve some major credit for putting out the effort.

lkfmdc
08-05-2003, 07:56 AM
NY was going to bring them 8 athletes, and the two officials were me and Steve Ventura. I also tried to help publicize the thing and get people interested, but it was bad timing. Cung's event had just happened and Boston was in the process of moving.

I feel real bad but what was NY supposed to do? We had 8 athletes, they only had 3 people registered? Clearly we were not going to all fight, depending upon weight classes, not fight at all?

Not to mention, we can't judge our own students can we? Even if we wanted to, we need a minimum of 4 officials to do san shou

It was a bad situation, but don't make it sound like NY is the bad guy in this

TonyM.
08-05-2003, 09:12 AM
No one was the bad guy here. More time was needed for testing judges and more advertising needs to happen. This is why good things should'nt be rushed.

ngokfei
08-05-2003, 09:40 AM
Kind of sad they have to point fingers at their failure.

They should of had the judges in place as well as made an inquiry to the schools that have SanShou teams before they even included it in their event.

Again why do the competitors and their coaches have to do the organizations work for them. Isn't it enough they are making money off of them for throwing the event in the first place.

Better luck next time..

Hey like I said in the Wong Torunament post. Perhaps we can convince Sifu Wong to include Sanshou in his event or even throw a completely independent Sanshou Event...

lets think on it...

eric

GLW
08-05-2003, 09:52 AM
You are taking the posting the wrong way.

My point was:

The lack of competitors and judges (For whatever reason) was the WHY of there NOT being Sanshou at the event.

I just wanted to point out that the USWU DID do their part to support Sanshou and try to have it at the event.

Timing can be a pain. For example, I won't be there. My wedding anniversary, my daughter's second birthday, and then I head out of the country on business on Sunday....

The second part of the post was that I would like the Sanshou community to remember that the USWU WAS open and tried to get it in this year...so that NEXT year, things can be worked out to everyone's satisfaction without the round and round of misunderstandings that wasted time this year.

After all, if we don't learn from past mistakes, we WILL repeat them.

Brad
08-05-2003, 12:51 PM
Man, that sucks. I was really looking forward to seeing some good San Shou matches during the tournement. This tournement seems to be bad timing with alot of people this year though.